AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey, it's Tuesday! Does that mean you're keeping it? ;)

I hadn't been using the component output on mine, but I just hooked it up; and it works fine. I have a 27" Sony TV which is not progressive compatible, so I have component video out set to interlaced in the 633's setup menus (maybe you should try that). The component cables from the 633 go to the component inputs (video 4) on the TV, and the associated audio inputs are hooked up to the output-2 audio on the 633 (output-1 would work just as well). I think all the outputs on the 633 are active all the time. I've got mine putting out both s-video and component simultaneously - with audio coming out of both audio outputs.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I am using the component outputs on my 531 and it works fine. My TV will accept either the interlaced or progressive signal, but the interlaced looks better.

I'd check to make sure your component setup on the 633 is set to interlaced output. If it is, I'm not sure what problem you may be encountering.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No problem with component out either. You may want to try different cables and a different input. If that doesn't work, your recorder may be broken.

One thing that might not be obvious is that Pioneer as well as other manufactures are using inexpensive chips to covert interlaced output to progressive scan, so they can keep the price down. As a practical matter, this means you will probably get better results with interlaced, and that for critical viewing, you should use a stand-alone DVD player.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgive me brothers for I have sinned.

First, I did not remove the cable and replace it with an alternative. This was not the problem, which was that I didn't realize the audio cables weren't properly inserted into the TV input which effectively terminated signal to the entire input. Pushing in the audio cables worked like a charm.

Second - this is a more serious offense. I used Monster cable. But this was before I was enlightened so I should be given a pass and forgiven for overpaying for my cabling as well as unknowingly patronizing products made by the Devil himself. Since said time I have never supported the Evil that hath spawned on earth and, rather, used alternate quality cabling of which there are vast choices, Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim DVD-Rs from Japan, and other such rituals...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

squonk said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Hey, it's Tuesday! Does that mean you're keeping it? ;)

I guess if he's hooking component cables up he must be down from that ledge and the recorder is safe.
What wasn't that funny the first time and didn't require devotion to an entirely separate thread to show us how funny you are has now progressed to the point of someone appearing to be an obsessed, one joke pony. FYI, my relatives may take it shortly because they will only use time shifting features and never the very poorly organized editing features.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts

slinky said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk
What wasn't that funny the first time and didn't require devotion to an entirely separate thread to show us how funny you are has now progressed to the point of someone appearing to be an obsessed, one joke pony. FYI, my relatives may take it shortly because they will only use time shifting features and never the very poorly organized editing features.
Lighten up, slink. Just trying to add a bit of levity to some discussions that were getting a bit out of hand.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

squonk said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
Lighten up, slink. Just trying to add a bit of levity to some discussions that were getting a bit out of hand.
I have to agree with slinky in that thread was in poor taste. It's very easy to say "lighten up" when you're not the one being made fun of.

I agree the discussions are getting a bit out of hand, but I have to point my finger at what I refer to as the "Pioneer x31/x33 series Anti-Defamation League" who seem to get their underwear in a bunch whenever someone posts they are having a problem with their machine, or else makes a comment about it that's even the slightest bit negative.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts

RonDawg said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk
I have to agree with slinky in that thread was in poor taste. It's very easy to say "lighten up" when you're not the one being made fun of.

I agree the discussions are getting a bit out of hand, but I have to point my finger at what I refer to as the "Pioneer x31/x33 series Anti-Defamation League" who seem to get their underwear in a bunch whenever someone posts they are having a problem with their machine, or else makes a comment about it that's even the slightest bit negative.
Ron, come on. If you read the post, it makes fun of the whole TV Guide/how did Pioneer screw this up debate. Quite frankly, I am more on Slinky's side of this anyway since I am a Pio 520 owner. Bad taste? I purposely had it so it was the DVD recorder at risk, not the person itself. The discussion needed lightening up at that point, and for pete's sake, we are talking about DVD recorders here, not "life or death", which was the point of the post. I shouldn't have to defend it because there was nothing wrong with it. Others found it funny, so to each his own.

You have to chuckle when Slinky is scolding me for obsession when he has been posting to any and all threads that have anything to do with the new Pioneers and constantly updating us on the return status of his machine.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I have to agree with squonk that the constant "I'm going to return this thing or else" postings have become tedius (I made fun of it myself in another thread but slink took it in stride as the good natured ribbing it was intended to be) and threads like this one my precipitate a "boy who cried wolf" atmosphere. But I can also see slink's side that its not so funny when you are [repeatedly] the brunt of the joke. But what really concerns me is RonDawg's comment regarding the Pioneer Anti-Defamation league. As a card carrying member of the Panasonic Anti-Defamation league I am inclined to alert the forum moderators to RonDawg's insensitive and exclusionary comments. I demand equal time for the Panasonic Anti-Defamation league in future threads and will not tolerate such ommissions any further.

LOL!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari
I have to agree with squonk that the constant "I'm going to return this thing or else" postings have become tedius (I made fun of it myself in another thread but slink took it in stride as the good natured ribbing it was intended to be) and threads like this one my precipitate a "boy who cried wolf" atmosphere. But I can also see slink's side that its not so funny when you are [repeatedly] the brunt of the joke. But what really concerns me is RonDawg's comment regarding the Pioneer Anti-Defamation league. As a card carrying member of the Panasonic Anti-Defamation league I am inclined to alert the forum moderators to RonDawg's insensitive and exclusionary comments. I demand equal time for the Panasonic Anti-Defamation league in future threads and will not tolerate such ommissions any further.

LOL!
Sign me up for that there Panasonic Anti-Defamation league...we gotta organize!!!

:D

RG

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

squonk said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg
Ron, come on. If you read the post, it makes fun of the whole TV Guide/how did Pioneer screw this up debate. Quite frankly, I am more on Slinky's side of this anyway since I am a Pio 520 owner. Bad taste? I purposely had it so it was the DVD recorder at risk, not the person itself. The discussion needed lightening up at that point, and for pete's sake, we are talking about DVD recorders here, not "life or death", which was the point of the post. I shouldn't have to defend it because there was nothing wrong with it. Others found it funny, so to each his own.

You have to chuckle when Slinky is scolding me for obsession when he has been posting to any and all threads that have anything to do with the new Pioneers and constantly updating us on the return status of his machine.
Nah, it's just that it starts to get annoying when the joke then feels a need to be reiterated at every opportunity. Was funny, everyone had their fun, let's move it along...

To ye all chuckling at my ode to a missing feature... it has annoying as hell having to make chapter edits for EVERY video in the 633 within a tiny little box on my BEAUTIFUL PANASONIC 50" HDTV that makes editing on my 19" monitor feel like a 50" HDTV!!!!

PS - I AM a member of the ADL, lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu
I am using the component outputs on my 531 and it works fine. My TV will accept either the interlaced or progressive signal, but the interlaced looks better.

I'd check to make sure your component setup on the 633 is set to interlaced output. If it is, I'm not sure what problem you may be encountering.
Where did you get your 531, do you like it and what did it cost, thanks

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The 531 is a Walmart model of the 533. Only difference is that the 531 doesn't have the input for a digital camcorder. I don't have one, and have no plans to get one, so this was a non issue to me.

The price was about $370 at Walmart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.