AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished installing a wiring panel in my garage. I have completed all the wiring with the TIA-568-A standard with cat5e. I have my phone/dsl coming in on the blue/white blue wires. I run this initially thru a leviton dsl filter which has an rj45 connection to send unfiltered signal out to the modem and then I am also able to patch the filtered signal back into the rest of the telephone patch panel. All my phone lines work. From the dsl filter, I go to the modem and then to an 8 port router. From the router I am running cat5e that is terminated with "crimp" style rj45 plugs at the router and then "punch down" style rj45 connectors on the the other end. When plugging into punch down connectors, I get nothing. If I connect my laptop directly into the router with a store bought ethernet cable, it works. I am assuming this means I did something wrong with the cables I made, but I dont know what because I was very careful not to make mistakes.

On the "crimp down" router end of the cable, I have all 8 wires connected. On the "punch down" end, I have only connected the blue/ white blue wires as this is what is carrying the dsl signal. Do they all have to be connected?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Standard practice is to terminate all 8 wires (4 pair) at each end of a data run, whether it ends in a RJ-45 plug, socket, or another 4 pair terminating device. 10baseT and 100baseT ethernet only use 2 of the 4 pairs, but that doesn't include the blue/blue-white pair. (That lets you do wierd things like having a phone line on blu/wh, and ethernet both on one cat5, but it's not a recommended practice.)

Try connecting all 8 at each end of ONE run, to see if that corrects your problem. If so, the labor to complete the other home runs will be worth it. Some day you may upgrade the network to gig-ethernet and you'll be ready.

Hope this helps a bit,

Mike

·
Registered
771 Posts
The simple answer is that you need to connect all of the wires for the data connection.

The dsl/telephone to modem wiring only requires two wires.

The output of the modem is not dsl anymore, it's ethernet. Between the modem and the router you should punch down all 8 wires. From the output of the router you should punch down all 8 wires.

(someone is probably going to jump in and say that you really only need 4-just do them all)

·
Registered
331 Posts
You also want to make sure that you crimped the ends on using the same way and didn't create a crossover cable. A simple continuity tester for the Cat 5e that also lists misswires and crossovers will help you identify this.

·
Registered
626 Posts
More accurately, I think, is to make sure you are using the same wiring standard on each end. Since you are terminating them differently, it is more of an issue. (an "A" standard patch cable can patch to a house in the "B" standard). It is hard to make a crossover cable by accident, isn't it?

Leviton quickport jacks have both standards on them. Pick one, and stick with it. Some will say A, some B. Me, B (because that's the one I have memorized).

Also, as noted, all wires after the dsl modem should have all wires terminated. Do it now, so you don't have to later. =)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfish
On the "crimp down" router end of the cable, I have all 8 wires connected. On the "punch down" end, I have only connected the blue/ white blue wires as this is what is carrying the dsl signal. Do they all have to be connected?
Just to re-emphasize what everyone is saying....The DSL signal is on the two wires as it comes into the house from the demarkation and into the DSL modem. However, everything from that point on.....

Cable from Modem to Router

Cables from Router to Jacks

Must ALL be terminated with all 8 wires using the same standard on each end (A or B where the difference is whether the green pair is next to blue or the orange pair is next to blue).

(Technically speaking, you only need 4 wires, but in almost all cases, the standard practice is to terminate all 8 wires).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much to everyone. I clearly did not think this one all the way through. Low and behold, hooking up all the wires makes everythink work just as it should. Go figure. I guess I just had it in my head that the dsl was coming in on the blue/white blue and so that is all I needed to hook up. Alas, now I see how that thinking was incorrect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.