AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read/Tried all the posts regarding the Santa Cruz card. Still no DD output. I've tried ATI's DVD Player, WinDVD, PowerDVD with and without WinGenie. I'm getting Dolby Pro Logic sound from the VersaPort set to Digital Out. When I switch to SPDIF (WinDVD, PowerDVD), my receiver shifts from Pro Logic to Digital. But there's no sound. Any suggestions?

------------------

ASUS A7V133 (Bios 1004, 4in1 4.24.2)

AMD 850 TBird

128 mB PC133

Radeon LE (7075)

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Strat,

You are having exactly the problem I've been wrestling with.

I took another go at it the other night and for reasons unknown I FINALLY got DD & DTS in PowerDVD (again). I uninstalled PDVD, cleaned up file directories from the installation location, and deleted all references in the registry. I reinstalled PDVD and tested - receiver got a DD stream, but no sound. On a whim, I went to Win98SE Control Panel, multimedia, audio and CHECKED the "Use Only Preferred Device" (i.e.: SantaCruz Digital Out (or SPDIF?)indicated above). Viola! DD and DTS working perfectly from PDVD! Long, long ago I had UN-checked this box and had DD/DTS start working (until it spontaneously stopped).

I swear I had already tried this sequence without any improvement in the past. Life was good for three days, then when I went to watch L.A. Confidential this Saturday (with guests, of course!), the audio was chopped at about a one HZ rate - alternating bursts of audio and silence, with my receiver bouncing back and forth between ProLogic and DD. Killed PDVD and restarted - same results. Rebooted - same results. I tried the old PDVD DTS tango: Opened PDVD, changed output to waveout, closed PDVD, opened PDVD, changed audio out to S/PDIF and started the DVD - DD played perfectly. What could be simpler?

At this point the PC is a dedicated HTPC, so I'm not sure why the sands keep shifting beneath my feet.

Best of luck!

-Gary

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To: Gary S

I read most of your posts regarding the Santa Cruz card. I've been playing around with the settings for a couple of nights, nothing yet.

Others seem to be able to get the card to work.

How long is your coax cable? I have a custom cable right now thats 20 feet. I used it with an earlier HTPC with a dxr2 card and everything worked. Maybe the Santa Cruz card might need a shorter cable.

If I ever get a proper solution, I'll repost in this forum.

Wish me luck!

------------------

AMD 850 TBird

128 mB PC133

Radeon LE (7075)

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hmmmm, cable length. Well, I'm using about 35 feet of RG-59, but I'd like to believe that's not a problem. Once I started using what I referred to above as the DTS tango, I could reliably get DTS (and DTS only) from PDVD. But now that you've raised the issue, I'll go check the voltage level just to be sure.

BTW, what driver are you using for the Santa Cruz? I'm using a Dell OEM version, and am absolutely terrified of upgrading after seeing all the horror stories on Dell's support forum.

-Gary

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I have the Santa Cruz with no problems. Just make sure you enter the proper settings in the Windows multimedia (in Control Panel) which is Santa Cruz...., In the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz mixer set the output to digital out and in the dvd software players audio tab(eg. WinDVD/PowerDVD) select SPDIF out, once these 3 are referenced you should have DD/DTS. Good luck

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

Monitor Audio Silver 5's

HSU VTF 2

Toshiba DVD/CD

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Serge,

I agree, once you do the things you mentioned, you should have DD/DTS. Unfortunately, one does not necessarily get DD/DTS. I know other people who have had the same experience as yourself, but unfortunately it doesn't work for everyone. I have been banging my head over this one for months and I still don't know what else is required in order to reliably get DD/DTS from the Santa Cruz. Fortunately, Dolby ProLogic S/PDIF has never been a problem.

-Gary

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Hmmm,

I feel for you, the importance of DD/DTS cannot be stressed, for me which is the primary reason for me to turn to a HTPC then video quality. If you are getting Dolby Prologic through your SPDIF output i do not see why you cannot get DD/DTS. Check to make sure you dont have any old drivers that could be affecting the Santa Cruz's performance from an old soundcard or in the Windows mixer. MAKE CERTAIN you have a splitter at the Santa Cruz's digital out, the one RCA jack will allow for stereo/Prologic and the other RCA jack will allow DD/DTS passthrough. If you have a splitter just try using the other jack; if you do not, get a 1/8" headphone to dual RCA splitter, this is necessary for the aformentionned. Good luck.

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

Monitor Audio Silver 5's

HSU VTF 2

Toshiba DVD/CD

Mitsubishi X70 FPTV

Dalite High Contrast Da-mat 16:9 grey screen

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Plug a STEREO mini-phone to RCA cable into the sound card's versajack.

Plug the RED phono plug into your DD decoders coax input.

Now you have DD 5.1 / DTS.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
So both the mini jack and coax digital out are capable of outputting DD/DTS?

I don't have my DD/DTS setup yet due to remodeling, so currently use mini to RCAs (red/white) to feed my TV speakers. I found the sound level extremely low when viewing DVD movies, even though I have the PC sound to the max. Sound level for PC applications are fine. Of course if I set the DVD sound right and forget to tune it down after the movie, any other sound will explode.

Is there any way to increase the sound level for DVD playing in my setup, before I finallize my DD/DTS setup? Am I also correct once the DD/DTS is set, the PC sound will be disabled?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had no problems with the Santa Cruz DD/DTS since I installed the drivers that fixed this problem. They were released around 11/2000. If your drivers are older than this that is atleast part of your problem. You'll need to do all the things mentioned in this thread plus make sure the cable you're using is capable of carrying a digital signal. I'm using a 20' 75olm RCA cable attached to the 1/8 pin/RCA splitter. DTS EX works fine also. Good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all that replied.

Still no 5.1!

I got a reply back from Turtle Beach, they basically say the same thing.

I guess I'll try WinME and if that doesn't work Win2000.

Wish me luck.

------------------

AMD 850 TBird

128 mB PC133

Radeon LE (7075)

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.