AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a thread I can't find now, someone said that DVI connections don't allow computer resolutions like 768 and 1024 lines. They only allow TV resolutions like 720 and 1080 lines.

But every LCD panel I've seen (at least, in widescreen shape) has one of those "computer", "non-TV" resolutions built in. That person even said Powerstrip can't do anything about it; (s)he got stuck at a resolution far below the screen's available pixels or the resolution of the material (s)he wanted to display, apparently the only resolution that exists in both the computer and TV worlds.

That would mean the only way to get the whole available resolution is with a VGA connection, which means converting the computer's digital info to analog for transmission along the cable and then back to digital again so the LCD monitor can use it.

So, is there really no way to connect to digital displays digitally? It seems impossible for that to be the case, but then that's what (s)he said. Was that just all wet?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Delvo
In a thread I can't find now, someone said that DVI connections don't allow computer resolutions like 768 and 1024 lines. They only allow TV resolutions like 720 and 1080 lines.
No, that's not true. Some TV's DVI connection only allows HD resolutions, but if your display is native at a computer res, then it's highly unlikely it's one of them.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
You can use PowerStrip to do just about any resolution via DVI. I've had a Sharp Z90U (800x600), Sharp Z10000 (1280x720), and JVC SX21 (1400x1050), and I achieved 1:1 pixel mapping on all of them with a Radeon 7500.

·
Registered
797 Posts
When this becomes most difficult is when the horizontal resolution is not a multiple of 8 (e.g. the very popular 1366-by-whatever). Most graphics cards can't handle these - regardless of what PowerStrip settings are attempted...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Jay,

How did you get 1400x1050 with Radeon on DVI. In every attempt I had so far it always comes with virtual display, regadles of what display.inf I use?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't have the exact info in front of me, but the DVI spec does not officially allow for a very high resolution.

For instance, I have a 1920x1200 widescreen LCD monitor in front of me that can't officially do that resolution through DVI, but can through VGA.

That being said, however, depending on the video card it will still work through DVI. My NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4600 works just fine and looks great, but another one (may have been a Quadro II or a GF4MX) had no success at that resolution at all.

Oh, and it officially will support 1280x1024 and 1024x768.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Odd... I am certain that DVI works up to 1920x1080p...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy
Odd... I am certain that DVI works up to 1920x1080p...
The DVI interface not dependent on any resolution standards, and there are different flavors. You may have heard of dual link and single link. Single link, for example, has a max of 1080p I believe (not sure about that). Dual link can go much higher.

Also, different DVI devices have different capabilites, regardless if it's single link or dual link. For example, I have a 4 year old FIC Saber motherboard w/ an onboard video card that has DVI out. It won't go higher than 1024x768 through the DVI, yet the VGA out works up to 1280x1024. Clearly a limitation on the DVI transmitter, not the graphics chip.

Same thing w/ input devices. Older display devices like the first DVI LCD monitors, can't accept high resolutions either.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Branxx
Jay,

How did you get 1400x1050 with Radeon on DVI. In every attempt I had so far it always comes with virtual display, regadles of what display.inf I use?
All I did was create 1400x1050 as a custom resolution in PowerStrip, keeping all default settings. Synced right up with the SX21 without any problems.

What display device are you trying to match? Keep in mind with the SX21, there's a menu setting in the projector that lets you specify whether it should interpret SXGA+ resolutions as 1280x1024 or 1400x1050. If it's set to 1280x1024, the desktop will be cropped.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Jay,

I use RADEON 9800 Pro 128. VGA port connected to D-ILA G10 and synced to 1368x1024 (that part works OK).

DVI port connected to CRT monitor using DVI-to-VGA dongle. CRT monitor capable of 1200x1600 resolution.

If I select either 1024x1028 or 1200x1600 on I get normal desktop via DVI port on CRT monitor. However, when I select 1024x1368 the desktop goes to virtual (physical resolution is still 1024x1280 and desktop is scrolling left and right).

For the test I connected CRT to VGA port and 1024x1368 is displayed normally, i.e. it does not go to virtual mode.

This suggest that CRT monitor can definitely display custom resolution, but that Radeon driver is somehow disallowing custom resolution to be displayed via DVI port.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I recently had the same problem. The Radeon's secondary display (the DVI-I port) won't accept weird resolutions- just gives you a virtual desktop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.