AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshibal 1200 DVD player (interlaced), which is about 2 years old, and therefore out of warranty. I was switching discs yesterday while testing some video issues and it suddenly started saying "no disc" even when there is a disc in it. I have tried unplugging the player, switching discs, pressing various buttons, to no avail.

Does anybody know what the likely problem is (maybe the optical pickup?), and does anyone have a guess as to what the cost of repair might be? Since it is out of warranty, and since you can get the Toshiba 3750 for about $180 (which is a progresssive scan player), I am thinking of just replacing the player rather than repairing it. On the other hand, if it was only going to be $25 to $50 to get it repaired, I'd probably repair it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Smitty,

If you follow Toshiba DVD players on various forums, you will find that this is a somewhat common problem with their players. I had a 3109 that played fine for about 1 1/2 years before it started doing the same thing. I bought a 4700 the first of this year that had this issue from the start with brand new unopened discs, so I took it back. I have ruled out future Toshiba players for now, as there are other alternatives. Of course, with the speed that technology evolves in these players and the lower cost, it wouldn't be unreasonable to upgrade every 1 1/2 to 2 years.

I would definitely not get the unit repaired. Look for another machine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.