Asus 780G mobo

4GB DDR2-800 memory

DVD drive

120GB HDD

Hauppauge 1200 TV card

Belkin Wireless-G network card

nMedia 200B case w/ PSU

Dell W32C LCD TV

Here is my current problem . . . . I had Windows Vista installed on this PC and everything worked fine, but Vista gave me quite a bit of problems. Now I have win7 RC on the system and don't have any problems except I can only get a display past the initial start up screen (the black screen with the four-sectioned window) if its connected by the 15-pin D-sub.

Whenever I connect the HDMI cable from the PC to my TV, the POST and initial windows start screen will display. As soon as the sign in start up screen is supposed to show (the blue screen with the leaves), everything goes blank and that's it. I set the PC to automatically log-in, just in case that will work, but no - I get nothing . . .and this is really bothering me, as I can't think of anything else to do.

I have the latest Catalyst (9.8) installed and was hoping that an automatic display configuration will take place, but no such luck. I'm hoping the experts here may have some clue as to what I can do or try to solve this problem. I really want to avoid getting a dedicated graphics card since the onboard video has done me good so far.

Thanks in advance fo your help.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you connect both the HDMI and VGA inputs at the same time, does the HDMI work? I ran into this problem last week when I upgraded my Nvidia drivers. All of a sudden, I was getting an Unsupported Signal on my TV after the boot screen. If I connected a VGA cable, the HDMI would work, but then break again as soon as I removed it. Very frustrating. The conclusion I came to was that my display expects a very specific resolution and timings configuration when only using HDMI, like the standard signals you get from a DVD player or cable box. When you have a VGA cable connected, it knows there is a PC involved and it is more relaxed on the timings it accepts. I tried fiddling around with the resolution and timings for a while, but never got it working. I wound up doing a system restore to a point before I updated the drivers, and that fixed things for me.

I would try downloading the older ATI driver version you had working in Vista and try that. Use one of their predefined HDTV formats and see if that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You have your system set to send a resolution over HDMI which your TV will not accept over HDMI. Check your TV user's manual for details about resolutions it will accept over HDMI.

Perform an F8 safe mode mode and from there you can change your normal mode output resoluition to 720p or 1080i and then reboot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
conchpapa, I had the exact same problem as you. It is funny because I thought I was crazy!

I have a 780G MB and an ATI 4550 VC running on Windows 7 RTM. I originally installed Catalyst 9.7 and had to leave not only a VGA cable plugged into the VC but the cable needed to be plugged into a monitor. I posted this issue to the the Catalyst feedback forum and though I doubt they read it, when Catalyst 9.8 came out the problem was fixed. I know you are running 9.8 now and it doesn't work but at least I am pretty sure it is a driver issue. BTW, I have a second HTPC with a 780G and no extra VC connected via HDMI to another tv in my house that has no problem. So unfortunately I can't say under what condition the 780G has this issue in Windows 7.

Walford, in my case I am running at 1080p @23Hz and sometimes @60Hz. The odd thing is that when I was having this problem with Catalyst 9.7, these resolutions and refresh rates worked fine through HDMI when the cable was plugged in. So I know that the resolution and refresh rates are supported by my projector. The fact that it works now in Catalyst 9.8 is further proof.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The fact that the HDMI receiver chip in your PJ supports these resolutions does not meant that the HDMI receiver chip in the OP's TV also does since there are several different manufactures of HDMI receiver chips.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17049349

The fact that the HDMI receiver chip in your PJ supports these resolutions does not meant that the HDMI receiver chip in the OP's TV also does since there are several different manufactures of HDMI receiver chips.

Understood. But my comment was only meant to say that it might not necessarily be an issue with the selected resolution. In my case it wasn't but it may be in the OP's case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the VGA and HDMI cables connected at the same time did the trick. I think its an absolute retarded way of getting display when WinXP and Vista had no such issues. Funny thing is, my display is now 1700x1000 resolution, yet Win7 has 1368x720 highlighted as recommended (which is what my TV is). I wish MS would fix this non-sense.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts