AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, are there no actual drivers needed for this DVD-Rom drive? I got a disk with it but it is listed as being Cybers Power DVD and I intend on using either TT or ATI's DVD Player which came with my Radeon 8500. It is currently listed under Win98SE's Device Manager under CD-Rom drives and when I look at properties, it does NOT include a checkbox for DMA.

In my motherboard bios start up screen, the drive shows up as the Lite-On LTD163 but is listed as UDMA 2.

My problem is that the ATI DVD Player software said that it may not work right since my DVD-Rom does not support DMA.

Anyone have this combo who can help me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Question:

Are you running an intel, via, sis, or amd board. Depending on which board you have, the southbridge might list your dma settings under the "Hard Drive Controller" section in device manager. Otherwise for some of the via chipsets you ran a tool called "IDETOOL" which would let you select dma.

NickB

·
Registered
147 Posts
Merc,

I have that same drive running under 98se. I do have DMA as an option under properties and it is enabled. The firmware is GH5E. Running PIII on Asus mb w/via chipset

Gregg

·
Registered
66 Posts
merc,

In w2k, go to control panel, system, hardware, device manager(?),IDE ATA/ATPI controller, secondary IDE Channel(where the DVD ROM is connected) - right crick, open property - advance device tab, there is a box to turn on DMA.

ming

·
Registered
98 Posts
You might want to be sure that DMA is enabled in your BIOS first. Typically, choosing AUTO will pull up the DMA capabilities of your drive - it should pull up the correct name, but if not it should at least allow PIO mode 4/DMA 2. I'm not familiar with that drive, but some have a jumper to enable/disable DMA.

It's been a while since I've fooled with a Via chipset P-3 board, but I'm pretty sure even those need the 4-in-1 drivers, and the IDE tool mentioned in a previous post. If the bios, the Via drivers, and the IDE settings tool are all setup correctly, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NickB
Question:

Are you running an intel, via, sis, or amd board. Depending on which board you have, the southbridge might list your dma settings under the "Hard Drive Controller" section in device manager. Otherwise for some of the via chipsets you ran a tool called "IDETOOL" which would let you select dma.

NickB
I couldn't see my DMA checkbox as well after I switched from VIA chipset (w/ 4in1) to Intel 815EP runnning under WinXP Pro. I could only see the DMA from the IDE HD.

The DMA checkbox doesn't bother me but is there anyway that I could be sure it has been already enable?

Thanks guys

Lucas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.