AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my projector through my computer for the first time this weekend. I was throughly impressed. Being a longtime audio lover (not audiophile), I have always been a big fan a separates. After producing what I consider to be a awesome picture with my out of date computer (only 8 megs of video), I can't see any reason to fork out the cash for another DVD player, doubler, and scaler.

I am convinced that HTPC is the only way to run a projector. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I totally agree! I just got a Barco Graphics 801 and was running it with a standalone DVD player that only had a composite out. I spent hours tuning it in and knew that I could get a better picture once I used RGBHV inputs on a PC. This weekend I got the PC going. And it's also not perfect by any means. For now I'm just using a GeForce 2 MX440 with 64 MB RAM and a 1.2 GB Athlon. The picture was SO much better than the composite out on the standalone DVD player. I used zoom player (so I could control the resolution) and powerstrip. I used 720X480 at 60 HZ. And it was very good. I'll next try higher resolutions and higher refresh rates. But HTPC is definitely worth doing!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the powerstrip software, but had it turned off. I'm not quite sure how to use it yet. I was running 1024 x 768 at 60Hz. I used WinDVD for playback. I can't wait to build the real deal instead of using my everyday PC.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
jburton,

Depending on your projector, you might not need Powerstrip. If you've got a simple XGA digital projector, 1024x768 @ 60Hz is optimal already.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a NEC 6pg+

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Agreed. I just setup a Shuttle SS51G minicube with ATI 9000 PRO, 256mb, 60Gb HD, Celeron 1.7 for dirt cheap.... less than the price of an iScan PRO and in a tiny form factor.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Once youtry even a standard non tweaked pc, you know what it can do then you realize the it will cost less than the doublers etc... and still be better.

Glad to so you are on the right track...

I tried HTPC and it hooked me , now im building a dedicated HT room and bought a nice DLP PJ ect... now Im in the tweaking addict stage :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
After running a HTPC for ages I am shifting over to a standalone progressive player. The image is almost as good, and it is much more easier to use.

A few of us Aussies have found a good player for $415 AU$!!

Beejay

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The value of a htpc was driven home at a recent local (Toronto area) home theater meet where we debuted a htpc featuring TheaterTek that handily trounced a line quadrupler and dvd player. The fact the htpc was in a very high end system only made a bigger impression on the twenty two attendees. It is a great DIY project but had a few wrinkles to iron out in the process but in the end is worth the effort in terms of fiancial savings and incredible picture quality. The upgradeablility/tweaking/flexibility factor is also very appealing to those who want the best picture possible. And for those who do not like tweaking a pc, the Immersive Holo3Dgraph looks to be the htpc answer in that regard.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Beejay, you must not have a display device that can handle more than 480P. If so, then this is probably the correct decision for you.

For those of us with multiscanning monitors/projectors that can do 720P or better, I know the progressive DVD player path will not lead to an optimal quality image.

Vern

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have a Panasonic AE100 856x480 projector and the combination of RP56+AA Transcoder yields a resolution that is very close to the native panel resolution of the AE100. A very clean picture results with minimal scaling errors.... very good PQ with high convenience factor.

But that trick won't work on higher resolution panels.

·
Registered
491 Posts
frego and jburton,

Assuming you're both watching film sourced DVDs, try [email protected], or 48Hz if you have a totally light controlled room. 60Hz is good for video (TV) sourced material, but it will cause image stutter on films (24fps for film vs 30fps for video).

Another good resolution to try on the Barco 801 is 960x540. I find it hard to get truly sharp focus on my 801 and the lower resolution helps the sharpness somewhat because it is easier to keep the scan lines from overlapping.

All of these resolutions will require doing an anamorphic squeeze on your projector. On the Barco you just dial down the Vertical Height until it is correct, not sure how you do it on the NEC.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jonathan DA,

Thanks for the tip. I will try that the next time I have the projector out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am well aware of the picture quality of the HTPC, I have been using a great set up all year on my NEC 6PG+ CRT. The image is almost faultless.

The progressive scan player has been hooked up to a 1292 CRT among others, and has shown to be pretty close to the HTPC for all but full screen NTSC titles.

Using a doubler and "normal" player does not even come close to progressive - the only one I have seen come close was the center stage doubler, and it is very, very expensive.

I am a big fan of HTPC, but when I can get an image almost as good from a standalone player it is time to stop mucking around with software.

Beejay

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i agree with many of you guys that a htpc is the ANSWER!!!i have a 1031, but have been able to achieve a picture that beats anything but another crt, or maybe a runco dlp...i started with an iscan but when the htpc bug hit 2 months later,it was no going back...once you get it setup correctly if you can resist(very hard) the fiddle bug it will be completely stable!!!!for the price(mine was $600 built),you can't beat it!!!!i have yet to see a progressive dvd player that comes close...no i haven't seen the extremely expensive ones in action..but how can you beat everything else it brings to the table????playing trailers,movie clips,custom screens..etc.for the price it has to be the best kept secret..

it's funny when i goto tweeters and other stores and explain to them how i use a computer for dvd playback they seem like we're talking rocket science..when i had problems(turned out to be bad memory),and was going to give up on it, my wife convinced me not to.THAT SAYS ALOT!!!!AND SHE CAN'T EVEN WORK IT!!!!anyhow enough ranting,but it is just that important when it comes to playback..

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Sorry, no way 480P will be even close to 720P on a 8" or better CRT, unless the HTPC not equipped with the optimal hardware and software and is not operated at it's full capabilities.

Any self respecting, sharply focused FP running a reasonable sized picture with the audience seated at a distance that meets the SMPTE 35 degree standards is going to show obvious scan lines at 480P.

Just my $.02.

Vern

·
Registered
57 Posts
The progressive scan player is not as good, but it does come close.

10 of us Aussie CRT guys are ordering the player based on what we have seen, and all of us use well sorted HTPC's.

I will still be keeping the HTPC as well for a while though!

Beejay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.