AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with this error and what to do about it.

I'm getting it on an ASUS P5N7A-VM for the HPET device.

It would be nice if someone with an ASUS P5N7A-VM could take a look at their HPET settings on this board running Win7?

I'm not sure why I'm seeing the following.

Why does it say "no drivers installed for this device"?

I've tried rolling back the driver, uninstalling the driver ect... but no luck. I haven't been able to find a specific HPET driver other than the MS provided driver. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Check the bios. I believe there is a setting that has to be enabled for either 32 or 64 bit.

BB

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I don't have such a setting. Matter of fact, I don't see anything regarding the HPET setting in the BIOS. From the searching I've done, it appears that HPET BIOS settings are not standard. In some cases, they aren't in the BIOS at all. I think that's the case here with the P5N7A...

Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike /forum/post/18305987

Unfortunately I don't have such a setting. Matter of fact, I don't see anything regarding the HPET setting in the BIOS. From the searching I've done, it appears that HPET BIOS settings are not standard. In some cases, they aren't in the BIOS at all. I think that's the case here with the P5N7A...

Mike

Are you getting an exclamation point in device manager? Or does the text just bother you? If no exclamation point it's due to the fact that no drivers are required.....you are spinning your wheels here.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaups /forum/post/18306367

Are you getting an exclamation point in device manager? Or does the text just bother you? If no exclamation point it's due to the fact that no drivers are required.....you are spinning your wheels here.

No exclamation point. I wasn't sure if this was an error or if this was normal behavior. I wanted to test/determine if the HPET is working.

Anyhow, if it is working then I guess I'm fine. Just wanted someone else with the same MOBO to confirm.

Also, I had a theory that I was getting choppy video playback, namely HULU Desktop, due to the HPET not working.

Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike /forum/post/18306410

No exclamation point. I wasn't sure if this was an error or if this was normal behavior. I wanted to test/determine if the HPET is working.

Anyhow, if it is working then I guess I'm fine. Just wanted someone else with the same MOBO to confirm.

Also, I had a theory that I was getting choppy video playback, namely HULU Desktop, due to the HPET not working.

Mike

Mine looks the same. I will say hulu and silverlight is crap for me (i3 530) as well. Can't figure out why. I would be VERY surprised if it's hpet related. Are there known relations with hpet and choppy hulu?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaups /forum/post/18307002

Mine looks the same. I will say hulu and silverlight is crap for me (i3 530) as well. Can't figure out why. I would be VERY surprised if it's hpet related. Are there known relations with hpet and choppy hulu?

HPET governs timing, specifically for multimedia applications. I should say it was a new timing standard to address issues of precise timing needs. Apparently it's even a more important for multi-core CPUs. This is why I suspect a problem exists in this area.

Also, when I've used PC wizard to report the HPET clock, it doesn't show a value for my PC. On my laptop I can see the HPET clock running at 14hz.

Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Interesting. Flash and silverlight both play poorly for me (everything else is fine). After reading your post I did some googling and it appears disabling it in bios (thus defaulting to the RTC) has drastically improved things for some folks. Worth giving it a try.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaups /forum/post/18307810

Interesting. Flash and silverlight both play poorly for me (everything else is fine). After reading your post I did some googling and it appears disabling it in bios (thus defaulting to the RTC) has drastically improved things for some folks. Worth giving it a try.

I think it depends on the MOBO and implementation. I wish I could do the test, on/off. However, there isn't a direct way of turning the HPET on and off for the P5N7A.

I have read posts where turning it off helped, but in some cases it's switching between 32 and 64 bit mode that made the difference.

Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
My board gives me the ability to swtich between 32 bit mode, 64 bit mode, and off. You really have no way to turn off in bios?

What about trying to disable it in device manager?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaups /forum/post/18308655

My board gives me the ability to swtich between 32 bit mode, 64 bit mode, and off. You really have no way to turn off in bios?

What about trying to disable it in device manager?

That's an interesting idea, maybe I'll try that. However, I think it should be done via the BIOS. I don't know what would happen if the system relies on the HPET.

I did see a thread on how some Linux guys found a way to enable the HPET a nForce 430 chipset board because it's required for Linux.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gave the disable HPET idea a try. I didn't see any sort of noticeable change. It would be nice to know if I in fact actually changed something. I don't know that disabling a device that's governed by the BIOS does anything.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts