AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get DTS sound out of my Waveterminal 192X. I only see the audio signal level indicated in the audio control panel (driver version 5.01, latest) on channels 1/2, and consequently only get stereo sound.

I am using only amplifiers driven by the analog outs of the soundcard. I have MCE 2005, NVidia Platinum DVD decoder, and WMP10. I'm not sure how to connect the Directwire interface portion of the audio control panel either. It is a graphic user interface allowing you to visually "connect" MME, ASIO, GSIF and WDM. How many different drivers are needed for sound? :rolleyes:

I have tried many combinations in this Directwire control panel for the sound card without any results other than stereo. I did notice if I turn off MME the sound turns off. I have set the NVidia decoder audio portion to "receiver", but not using SPDIF out, not using Dolby Pro Logic. When I perform the test in the NVidia control panel I hear white noise move between the left and right front speakers, but nothing on the rears.

Does anyone have a similar setup that can help me? I thought I was computer literate, but getting quality audio out of an HTPC is proving to be very difficult. A description of my soundcard follows.

Thanks in advance,

Lifespeed

Intended for serious recording, the Waveterminal 192X is a 2-in/8-out Interface, with a 24-bit/96kHz S/PDIF stereo optical digital output, boasting no-compromise 24-bit/192kHz A/D and 24-bit/192kHz D/A converters. Among the standard features are simultaneous record/playback and support for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 surround formats. The optional MI/ODI/O add-on card (sold separately) expands the 192X's capabilities with 24-bit/96kHz S/PIDIF Optical (TosLink) Input and Coaxial I/O, along with a 1-in/1-out MIDI interface.

Let Us Convert You!

Listen to the purity of our state of the art 24-bit/192kHz A/D and D/A converter technology and bask in the richness. The Waveterminal 192X boasts A/D converters designed to handle up to 123dB; More dynamic range than any other converters in the world.

The DVD-Audio Solution!

Open up new audio horizons. The Waveterminal 192X fully supports the DVD-Audio Standard with its true 24-bit/192kHz resolution.

Total Compatibility.

The Waveterminal 192X supports Windows XP and Mac OS X. For PC, the Waveterminal 192X is designed to work with ESI's unique and powerful E-WDM driver for perfect compatibility with Windows XP, 2000, ME, and 98SE, offering ultra low-latency performance with all popular digital audio software applications including Nuendo, Cubase, Gigastudio, Cakewalk, Sonar and Logic. In fact, any software that fully supports Windows XP will support the E-WDM driver.

Specifications.

- High quality 24bit 192kHz A/DC; 123dB Dynamic range

- High quality 24bit 192kHz D/AC; 106dB Dynamic range

- Analog 2In/6Out;+4dBu bal 1/4" 2ch In/+4dBu 1/4" 3stereo Out

- 24bit 96kHz Optical digital out

- Headphone amp

- Supports Multiple cards in one computer system

- Full Duplex;Simultaneous Record/Playback

- Uses 32bit PCI slot; PCI Bus-Mastering support

- Supports multiple Sampling Rates :

- 16, 22, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kHz

- Supports the EWDM driver: Multiple MME, Multiple Direct sound,

- ASIO 2.0 and GigaStudio support

- Optional add-on card MI/ODI/O

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The NVidia decoder downmixes everything to 2 ch PCM. Unless it has some Audio pack like WinDVD, 2 channel only. I haven't heard anything about an audio pack for Nvidia. The audio packs use your CPU to software decode DVD to DD/DTS and other formats....mike...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
The NVidia decoder downmixes everything to 2 ch PCM. Unless it has some Audio pack like WinDVD, 2 channel only. I haven't heard anything about an audio pack for Nvidia. The audio packs use your CPU to software decode DVD to DD/DTS and other formats....mike...

NVidia claims to decode DTS. Are you saying they decode it, but only give you 2 channel output? Holy cow, talk about false advertising!! What do I need to do to hear DTS 5.1? Zoomplayer and some other audio codec?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed
NVidia claims to decode DTS. Are you saying they decode it, but only give you 2 channel output? Holy cow, talk about false advertising!! What do I need to do to hear DTS 5.1? Zoomplayer and some other audio codec?
Ok. It looks like they have the audio pack. (I said I wasn't sure)

All you need to check now is the the nvidia soundcard compatibilty list if the have one..... Look Here

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I don't see the Waveterminal 192X listed on nVidias rather short soundcard compatibility list. Guess I didn't need to spring for the $50 Platinum version with DTS. :mad:

So what do I do? I know Zoomplayer will let me use nVidia for the video decoders while using a different audio decoder.

Is this the solution, and if so, what audio decoder is best for use with this soundcard to decode DTS, dolby digital, and DVD-audio. I would also like to continue getting the proper 44.1 KHz sample rate for my audio CD's and .WMAL files. I do use PowerDVD6 for DVD-audio, is this the answer?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Ok. This is getting out of my league since I use a pre/pro and DTS/DD passthrough. If the PowerDVD audio decoder can decode DD/DTS through software. I don't see why it wouldn't work w/ZP but like I said, I don't use software encoding nor PowerDVD.

·
Registered
674 Posts
in windows control panel under audio you have to set your speakers to 5.1 or you'll only get stereo

·
Registered
674 Posts
you also need to use the wdm drivers, not the mme's

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vairulez
you also need to use the wdm drivers, not the mme's

Thank you! How do I do this?

It does appear the MME drivers are in use, because when I click the MME "off" button in the Directwire control panel for the Waveterminal 192X the sound shuts off. Directwire control panel provides a graphic user interface styled after a patch-cord panel, where you "connect" the in/out of the various acronyms: MME, GSIF, ASIO, and WDM. I have tried various combinations, but always left MME "connected". Should I connect WDM out to ASIO in?

Interestingly, ASIO4ALL refers to EWDM, and gives a "beyond logic" error symbol when playing DVDs. Do I need ASIO4ALL? I thought it might be built into the Waveterminal 192X drivers, but I've been unable to find out. While this card has excellent technical specifications, especially the DACs and analog output, (which I use to drive two amps) the drivers and technical support are spotty.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got it working. Seems it was as simple as turning off the MME driver in the Directwire control panel, and connecting the WDM output to the ASIO input.

What an improvement! It seems the evil windoze resampling from 44.1 KHz to 48 KHz was occuring, providing a subtle distortion that made it sound as if my speakers sucked. It sounds like a high-quality stereo now. It was especially noticeable in the vocals. DTS and DD 5.1 work fine.

As for DVD-Audio, I installed WinDVD7, which claims to support it. It even has a checkbox "enable 96KHz/24bit output". The folks who built my Waveterminal 192X claim to be able to handle the hardware end up to 192 KHz/24 bits.

I do see that when the DVD-Audio (Metallica/Metallica, only one I own so far) is played the audio control panel indicates 48 KHz during the preamble, then switches to 96 KHz when I play a surround selection.

However, it is only two-channel, even though the graphics from the DVD-Audio indicate "surround". It does sound good, but I'm not sure how easily I could tell the difference between 48 KHz and 96 KHz. The audio bitrate is listed (by WinDVD) as 13.8 Mbps, packed PCM. I think this is too high a bitrate for anything less than DVD-Audio.

Playing the "stereo" selection results in some clicking mixed in with the music, somethings not right with this option.

Any ideas why I wouldn't get surround from this DVD-Audio?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I installed WinDVD7 a week or so ago, and I also can't get DVD-A to work on my machine. I was told by Intervideo that the current WinDVD7 has some sort of bug in it that is causing the DVD-A feature not to work and that they should have a new build out soon that will address the issue. I am assuming that this "bug" is that problem they had with DVD-A being compromised.

Hopefully they will have it fixed soon.

Marty

My thinking is that Intervideo disabled the DVD-A feature in their current download until they get the "compromise" fixed.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any updates on the WinDVD7 DVD-Audio issue? I do believe I get 2-channel sound correctly, but not surround. Oddly, I get it from the 5.1 track, not the stereo track. The sound card control panel does switch to 96 KHz, however, so it must at least be working partially correct.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.