AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are they doing this> So that they don't have to compete with the World Series? That is Bull. Everyone does not like baseball why force them to watch. I wouldn't care if was the Bengals vs the Chargers I would watch it.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidML3
Why are they doing this...
Because it's a long standing agreement between the NFL & MLB.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
It has nothing to do with ratings, because the majority of years football demolishes World Series games (baseball just isn't popular anymore. Not quite hockey-esque, but close). It all comes down to a deal between the NFL and MLB. And yeah, most people would rather watch a lame Sunday night football game than a world series baseball game. How sad for the MLB.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
The Sunday night game was in effect shown as a Thursday night game to start the season. But as has been said, they have been doing this for years. Nothing new.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by herdfan
The Sunday night game was in effect shown as a Thursday night game to start the season.
Not really. The Thursday season opener was on ABC. ABC has 17 games (17 weeks + Thursday season opener - No Monday game after final Sunday). ESPN has 18 games (17 weeks - No game during WS game 2 + 2 Saturday games near end of season)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skyehill
It has nothing to do with ratings, because the majority of years football demolishes World Series games (baseball just isn't popular anymore. Not quite hockey-esque, but close). It all comes down to a deal between the NFL and MLB. And yeah, most people would rather watch a lame Sunday night football game than a world series baseball game. How sad for the MLB.
If people would rather watch the NFL instead of the world series, why would the NFL not host a night game? By your logic they would have higher ratings and more money. Why would the NFL bend over and take it from MLB?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Stuewe
If people would rather watch the NFL instead of the world series, why would the NFL not host a night game? By your logic they would have higher ratings and more money. Why would the NFL bend over and take it from MLB?
The agreement helps both sides. The NFL does not compete against MLB on Sunday, MLB does not compete against the NFL on Monday.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ehren
How does that explain in September you see NFL on ESPN and MLB on espn2 on Sunday nights?
I was referring to World Series week. Although you will notice that should the Series go to a game 7, there is an ESPN game on Sunday night.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MnGuy
I was referring to World Series week. Although you will notice that should the Series go to a game 7, there is an ESPN game on Sunday night.
Hard to call a matchup of two 1-5 teams (Niners/Bears) an NFL game!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MnGuy
I believe that game would be moved though if there is a Game 7. I think they did that for either the 2002 WS or 2001.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rkunces
I believe that game would be moved though if there is a Game 7. I think they did that for either the 2002 WS or 2001.
Really? I don't remember that. They would move a game with that short notice? That seems strange to reschedule a game with less than 24 hours notice unless it was some extreme emergency.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mazman49
Hard to call a matchup of two 1-5 teams (Niners/Bears) an NFL game!
Notice I didn't call it an "NFL game" just an ESPN one! ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rkunces
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I seem to remember flipping back and forth between a Sunday night game and Game 7 of the D'backs-Yankees WS.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skyehill
last night I watched preseason NBA instead of the world series.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Dail
last night I watched preseason NBA instead of the world series.
last June, I watched regular season baseball instead of the NBA finals - and I live in Detroit, home of the NBA champs and MLB chumps - so what's your point?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.