AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just having a hard time believing NO software exists that can read a replay mpeg and make it compatible to be burned onto an svcd. I have nero 6 but it is getting an unknown error when trying to transcode a 20 minute mpg from the replay. I used evtdump and rvtedit to strip the commercials from a 30 minute show. Thats the only mod's I've made to it.

I know I can use tmpgenc to transcode the show to mpeg1 and burn a vcd. I'm seeking to burn an SVCD.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Look around for a program called "bbmpeg". I only have minimal experience with it, but it's the only free MPEG2 encoder I've found.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran bbmpeg on a small mpg clip and converted it from mpeg1 to mpeg2 to test it...when I played the new version the video was fine but the audio was missing and in it's place was alot of weird tone like sounds...will try it on a relay mpeg when I get home.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I used to use a software package called DVD2SVCD to convert DVD rips to SVCD. I believe it would work from any source MPG though, not just .VOB's.

You need to get it plus an encoder, there wasn't any freeware at the time, however there was one called the Cinema Craft Encoder (aka CCE) that would let you do it for free, but it displays a logo in the bottom right corner of the screen. The logo was lightly annoying, but if you had letterbox formatted source video the logo would go in the black area outside of the video.

Hope this helps, I got DVD2SVCD from http://www.doom9.org

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by famewolf
I am just having a hard time believing NO software exists that can read a replay mpeg and make it compatible to be burned onto an svcd. I have nero 6 but it is getting an unknown error when trying to transcode a 20 minute mpg from the replay. I used evtdump and rvtedit to strip the commercials from a 30 minute show. Thats the only mod's I've made to it.

I know I can use tmpgenc to transcode the show to mpeg1 and burn a vcd. I'm seeking to burn an SVCD.
Why not try transcoding the show to mpeg2 with tmpgenc? It'll be svcd-spec then as long as you get the settings right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was looking into this myself a while back and came across GNU VCDImager, http://www.vcdimager.org/index.phtml. " The core functionality consists of directly making Video CD BIN/CUE-style CD images from mpeg files, which (after being written to CDR(W) media) can be played on standalone VCD players or DVD players".

I haven't played with it yet, but I think this tool let's you convert an mpeg file to a disk image. Then you need to use something like CDRDAO to burn that image to a CD. See http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/.

The upside is that these tools are free -- the first one, anyway, is GPL'ed. The downside is that they are written for *nix machines. If you have cygwin ( http://www.cygwin.com/ ) set up on a Windows box, you should be able to use them okay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:

I know I can use tmpgenc to transcode the show to mpeg1 and burn a vcd. I'm seeking to burn an SVCD. [/b]
Famewolf,

I'm new to ReplayTV and video processing. I have DVarchive to download MPG files from my RTV 5080 to my computer. I'm trying to use Nero 5.5 to create a basic VCD. Nero won't directly accept the MPG file from the RTV. From your hint, I downloaded tmpgenc 2.521. It will not open the RTV MPG files. I tried using the Replay Tools (RTVedit) to pre-process the MPG files. Tmpgenc still will not open them. What is the trick?

How can I create a standard VCD from ReplayTV MPG files?

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:

That's because to have a legal MPEG2 encoder, you need to pay the various licensing fees to the holders of the MPEG2 patents....thus, a legal freeware app is highly unlikely, at best.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timg11
I downloaded tmpgenc 2.521. It will not open the RTV MPG files. I tried using the Replay Tools (RTVedit) to pre-process the MPG files. Tmpgenc still will not open them. What is the trick?
Download a program called DVD2AVI, run the program, open the RTV MPEG then select Save Project. This will give you a d2v and a mpa file. Load these into TMPGenc and it will re-encode in whatever format you want.

Do this daily on TV shows I watch on the train to work with my portable DVD player. Works like a charm.

I can't get Womble to work, seems that the video freezes/stutters on my player if I just run the mpegs through womble. Don't know why?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djdementia
I used to use a software package called DVD2SVCD to convert DVD rips to SVCD. I believe it would work from any source MPG though, not just .VOB's...[/url]
Yes, DVD2SVCD does work with Replay mpegs. I used Replay medium quality mpegs many times with great results.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:

When I burn my non-re-encoded medium quality mpegs with Nero 5.5 unto CD-R(W), our portable Toshiba SD-P2000 plays them perfectly. The majority of DVD players won't do this.

If you want to re-encode to a compatible CD format that's high quality, try some of the MPEG-1 KVCD templates for TMPGEnc. I made quite a few discs with SVCD resolution and bitrates but MPEG-1 encoding by loading a KVCD template into TMPGEnc and modifying it to my preferences. The ones most compatible with our standalone (Panny XP30) were 704x480 resolution with max bitrate of 2458 kbits/sec (had to stay under 2500).
Quote:
I ran bbmpeg on a small mpg clip and converted it from mpeg1 to mpeg2 to test it...when I played the new version the video was fine but the audio was missing and in it's place was alot of weird tone like sounds...will try it on a relay mpeg when I get home.
I can't recall for sure, but I maybe bbmpeg only edits the video portion of the file, so you would need to first de-mux it into a .m1v or .m2v (video - 1 for MPEG-1 and 2 for MPEG-2) and a .mp2 (audio - which I always rename to .mpa) file. Many people use BeSweet for editing the audio portion of the file (like for converting from 48 MHz to 44.1 MHz to make it SVCD compliant), or, if you or your player don't care if it stays at the DVD-compliant 48 MHz, you might just set it aside and re-mux it with the edited .mpg portion. That's what I prefer.
Quote:
Originally posted by timg11
I'm new to ReplayTV and video processing. I have DVarchive to download MPG files from my RTV 5080 to my computer. I'm trying to use Nero 5.5 to create a basic VCD. Nero won't directly accept the MPG file from the RTV. From your hint, I downloaded tmpgenc 2.521. It will not open the RTV MPG files. I tried using the Replay Tools (RTVedit) to pre-process the MPG files. Tmpgenc still will not open them. What is the trick?
If I didn't run GOP Fixer on the Replay mpeg, it wouldn't always load into TMPGEnc. When I ran Womble's GOP Fixer, TMPGEnc would load it every time. The same was true of DVD2AVI.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Can't a person use evtdump/rtvedit/rtvconvert then just burn the mpg from there using Nero? I haven't tried it yet.

cow

·
Registered
700 Posts
There is a freeware transcoder called ReJig. You can learn about it in this thread at Doom9. It doesn't have a home page yet.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=rejig

I just used it successfully last night to take a high-Q Replay MPG and burn it to a DVD.

1. Transfer MPG to PC with DVArchive.

2. Use VirtualDub-MPG2 to figure out the edit points, if you don't like the defaults.

3. Run rtvedit with the -t1 flag (if you used times from VirtualDub). Even if you have no edits, you need to scrub the MPG through rtvedit to massage it!

4. run rtvconvert on the edited mpg file. this will further de-louse the MPG file for other authoring programs.

4a. If you didn't want to edit with rtvedit, I guess you could use Womble or some other visual tool to snip commercials at this point. Whatever you do, you will want to avoid lengthy transcoding.

5. If needed, transcode the MPG with ReJig. This is a fast process! I did a 3 hr high-Q file down to 2300kb/s in like 10 minutes. Note this produces a video-only file (.m2v).

6. Use ReJig to demux the source file so you can get an audio stream file as well. Note that this will not be an AC3 file. I guess AC3 audio is recommended for best compatibility but my DVD player doesn't have any problems with the MPG audio from the Replay. I think there is freeware (bsweet?) that lets you create AC3 audio but I have not tried it.

7. Now you have DVD-ready audio and video files. Use your favored authoring package to assemble menus, etc.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
When you say 'transcoding' are you talking about changing the resolution of the movie, or the frames per second, or bitrate, or what.

I'm blurry on what it does.

The link you give has no reference to ReJig. Is the program offered there a ported recompile of ReJig?

cow

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have been reading all of these posts in this thread. Personally, it seems way too complicated, too time consuming, and generally not worth one's time to take a Replay generated mpeg and make a VD or SVD or DVD. If I wanted to (and its not too likely that I would actually want to or that I would ever have the NEED) make these I certainly would not want to waste my time using ReplayTV to encode the program and then go through 5 programs to "get it right" BEFORE burning the disc. Man its only TV. Life is too short to travel in that pony show.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Yeah, I've been tring to figure it out forever. it's like watching 3 seasons of 'as the world turns' in a month and still not having any closure.

I'm agravated cause noone answers my questions and they are not under any obligation to.

I'm convinced it's all comming together and can be done relitively simply, but noone is willing to just start spelling out things.

That new Jig program is just one more promise presented as an enigma. I don't know what the program does, I'm over there reading 6 pages of detailed posts still not knowing it's purpose. I find the .3a version and download it. try to run it and it says it's missing a DLL. I'm not sure if it's a command line program or GUI. I think I read the Jig program was a GUI version of the program availible for download on the first page? I have no f'-king clue. JeffD wrote something about transcoding being different then re-encoding. I think I know the difference, but being unassuming is just more hell.

is the transcoding meant to bring a high quality down to a more standard size?

I come to these points where I don't know 20 things I used to know and will remember later.

it's all hell.

Another thing. I used envdump/rtvedit/rtvconvert to take the commercials out of a show. then I try to import it back to DVArchive and it wants me to type in the title, show description and time. I dont know how long it lasts after those commercials are taken out. Am I supposed to look for each one?

I'm frustrated right now.

Any question I really feel I need to know gets dead silence as a reply.

cow

If someone who knew about that Jig program just wrote a post about as long as this one laying it out, I think it would be done and usable.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by diverjones
I have been reading all of these posts in this thread. Personally, it seems way too complicated, too time consuming, and generally not worth one's time to take a Replay generated mpeg and make a VD or SVD or DVD.
Well, it doesn't HAVE to be that complicated. I just took a standard-quality show downloaded with DVArchive, and used it in Ulead Video Studio 6 (not something I put much thought into, came bundled with my firewire card) just like I would any other video source, edited it a little bit, and made an svcd with a few button clicks. Very not complicated. I skipped using rtvconvert to clean up the file beforehand, didn't seem to be an issue. Of course it was only a 5-minute proof-of-concept clip.

When it gets complicated is when you want to either do it fast or cheaply. Your standard video editing tools are going to want to slowly re-encode the files into compliant formats. This takes a lot of time -- one of the steps being mentioned in these threads is designed to fix up the non-compliances without completely re-encoding. It also takes time and effort to do a lot of editing, like cutting out commercials (no matter what tools you use). In this respect it's no different than editing your home video though (and I would say it's definitely worth the effort to edit those!).

If you want to do it for free... as phule said, there is no truly free mpeg-2 encoder, which limits the available tools for encoding (TMPGenc has a 14 day trial period for mpeg-2 which is fine if you just need to make a couple quick discs; it's not too expensive to buy but not free). This is something that tends to complicate the svcd/vcd/dvd making process when using free tools :) I found for example that VCDeasy was pretty nice for making the SVCD's once I had SVCD-compliant mpegs... but it doesn't re-encode your mpegs to SVCD standard for you, so you need something else for that.

You want to talk about effort? As it turns out, the community that is most involved with vcd/svcd/dvd burning is of course people copying or pirating dvd's. So if you go anywhere looking for information on SVCD/VCD/DVD you'll come across people going through way more effort than this -- for something they could buy for $20!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try and find yourself an older version of tmpegenc because they didn't used to charge for the mpeg2 codec. I know for a fact that the beta12a version works fine and has the mpeg2 codec included...all free! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.