AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some Powerstrip custom resolution settings for HDTV's that are 4:3 and not 16:9? I've tried every setting for every resolution and am unable to view the windows desktop on my 4:3 HDTV so that it takes up the whole screen. Right now at 848x480 it looks like its in 16:9 on my HDTV. I've tried 640x480 @60hz and 960x540 @60hz but there is overscan. Here is my hardware if it helps:

Sony 36" XBR400 HDTV

Audio Authority VGA - Component Converter

Onkyo TX-DS555 DD Receiver

Onkyo DV-C601 Progressive Scan DVD Player

TYAN Tiger MP2640 Mainboard

2 - AMD Athlon MP 1.2ghz Processors

2 - 256mb Crucial Registered Memory

nVidia GeForce 256 SDR AGP

Telemann HiPix DTV-200 HDTV Card

Soundcard with SPDIF in/out

Netgear GA622T 100/1000mbit 64-bit PCI NIC

Adaptec SCSI Ultra-Wide PCI Controler

2 - 4.3gb Seagate Barracuda SCSI Hard Drives in RAID 1

3 - 20gb IBM 60GXP Deskstar 7200rpm Hard Drives in RAID 5

Kenwood True-X 72x CD-ROM

I only want to use this HTPC for watching HD broadcasts, Pausing/Recording Live HDTV, and Web Browsing. I just got the HiPix card and Audio Authority Converter, but I was wondering if I should get the AccessDTV card and Converter from Key Digital to be able to Pause Live TV and browse the web "full screen" (4:3).

Any Help would be appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
402 Posts
848x480 and 960x540 are _not_ 4:3 resolutions, so it makes sense that they wouldn't look right on your display. Try searching the forum for HDTV resolutions - there's a big list out there somewhere.

·
Registered
901 Posts
big_tim,

Your Sony is probably doing a vertical squeeze for those resolutions.

I have a similar TV in the KP-53HS10 and it operates in 4x3 mode for 480P and does that vertical squeeze for the 540P(1080i) resolutions.

for viewing the HD 4x3 broadcasts the only way to actually see full screen image is to use the 480P timings. So 640x480 is what you need. The overscan you see is normal, so you either have to live with it, which isn't too bad for TV viewing, or fix it for web browsing.

There is an option in Powerstrip called 'lock total geometry that allows you to play with the visible part of the picture without screwing up the timings. you can use this to reduce the effective resolution doe so the overscan is gone. Seeing as most TVs have about 10% overscan you would probably need to reduce the effective resolutions down to something like 586x432.

It did experiment with interlaced resolutions that can be used to con the TV into displaying 1280x960 in 4x3 mode. I forget the exact values now, but it did work albeit for some screen flicker.

The only way I get a meaningful amount of information on the screen when web browsing is to use those 16x9 resolutions and put up with the vortical squeeze. On a 53" it's OK, but I can see how this would be frustrating on something smaller.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I did get SOMETHING working full screen... 640x440. It is accually ok for web browsing. I also got 1280x960 interlaced working but for some reason its hard to read the words. I'm going to keep experimenting around to find the perfect setting... (I might just forget about surfing the web, I'd probably end up surfing the web on my PC anyways).

My only other question is: Can anyone tell me if the HiPix card can pause live TV (if so how). Does the AccessDTV card pause live TV, if so do you have to pay the monthly payment to have that feature?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Using powerstrip and Radeon VE setting the resolution to 586x440 (480p) produces a full screen 4:3 image on my Sony KV36xbr450 through my audio authority box. Ther is no overscanning

I find this resolution great for watching DVD's that are 4:3. Not great for surfing.

BTW, 846x480 (540p) is better for surfing and watching 16:9 DVD's. No overscan again

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.