AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
YESSSS, YOU CAN DO WIRELESS SURROUNDS. Never mind folks telling you not to do it and run 20 miles of cables instead.

I'll document what I have done to get wireless surround sound on my system so you would not waste your time troubleshooting like I did. I will add pictures.

Stuff you have:

Sony X90H 85"
Marantz SR6015
Definitive Tech BP9060 pair
Definitive Tech CS9040 center
Definitive Tech A90 Atmos module pair

Kef Q950 pair

Stuff you need:

SVS Soundbase amp (150W x 2)
SVS Soundpath tri-band (19ms delay)

My room is bad medium for audio but they do sound great and serve me fine. We live here, so I cannot get rid of my floor-to-ceiling windows (or cover my view) or marble floor and turn the room into a cave.

Audiophiles probably would not be happy in my environment with my franken setup (I can't return BP9060s, I have other plans for them), but for us average folks this works great and sounds good.

• There is no audio-delay and syncing issue
  • Surrounds not once cut off or made unwanted noises. Connection is reliable with SVS soundpath.

... TO BE CONTINUED.

PROBLEMS:
1) Calibration in AVR: You have to keep hitting RETRY until sound comes. 3-4 times sometimes. Happens only in calibration phase of audyssey.

2) Surrounds have +7db, yet when master volume is < 30, surround speakers cut off. I think SVS Soundpath does not transmit signal to the amp.

3) SVS Soundbase does not remember its last volume setting after being powered off. It keeps hte same volume at other times, thankfully. But if you power it down, you have to adjust its volume.

1 MONTH REVIEW:

EVERYONE WAS RIGHT.

These SVS products are not good.

* At lower volumes (<35 on Marantz), they cut off rear speakers altogether. I do not want to be blasting music when I open my eyes. I increased dB of them, did not make difference.

* The SVS SoundBase amp has very loud clicking sound that happens when there is no signal for 10-15 mins. It startles you throughout the day if you are pausing music/movies.

* SVS Soundbase does not remember its volume setting when powered off. You have to adjust it all over again.

Overall, this is NOT a seamless experience and it is not a solution for me. Apologies.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I can't believe these people in 2021 still do not incorporate wireless surround option like Yamaha amps. I was excited about HEOS, only to find out that it is a glorified Spotify that has been coming with speakers and soundbars for 15 years.

Yamaha amps did not fit in my cabinet. So I could not go that route.

They cater to equipment and options from Jurassic ages, but not include a useful option like this for those of us who would like some quality sound in their living rooms.

Why should they incorporate useful technology? They can keep upping the speakers. 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 15, 80, 500... and keep sucking more money every year. Nice scam going.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I can't believe these people in 2021 still do not incorporate wireless surround option like Yamaha amps. I was excited about HEOS, only to find out that it is a glorified Spotify that has been coming with speakers and soundbars for 15 years.

Yamaha amps did not fit in my cabinet. So I could not go that route.

They cater to equipment and options from Jurassic ages, but not include a useful option like this for those of us who would like some quality sound in their living rooms.

Why should they incorporate useful technology? They can keep upping the speakers. 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 15, 80, 500... and keep sucking more money every year. Nice scam going.
Any pics of this set up are you using q950 as surrounds?? Any noticeable delay using wireless amps ?
Some people rarely use wireless sub routers but typically use wires for all speaker channels .
I’d expect to lose sound fidelity from wireless .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any pics of this set up are you using q950 as surrounds?? Any noticeable delay using wireless amps ?
Some people rarely use wireless sub routers but typically use wires for all speaker channels .
I’d expect to lose sound fidelity from wireless .
Yes I will add pictures later on kblackburn.

No delay. Marantz has distance as 35 ft for surrounds, 15ft for fronts. +6 db for surround level.

Like I said, my room is not an audophile environment. I do not notice any loss of fidelity. My guests liked the sound as well.

There are too many bugs with both Marantz and SVSes, but once you sort them out, it is all good.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, this is for average joe, not for audiophiles.

I was worried about syncing and delay, but I did not notice any. And yes, I do notice these. I had to turn off lip sync, because it was skipping sometimes. And I had to add +3ms to AC3 filter on PC because audio and video was out-of-sync.

It probably would work for audiophiles as well. I think AVR is doing good compensation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any pics of this set up are you using q950 as surrounds??
Added the pics. It did not look that good, because light is coming from outside in but you got the idea. I might toe them in a bit but as it is, they serve my purpose well with multichannel audio.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was no lag and no cutoff until now. Not once. And the SVS equipment is right behind my router!!!

Soundpath receiver - 10 inches - Router - 20 feet - transmitter and AVR.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updated the review. Sorry, this is not a viable solution for wireless surrounds.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Updated the review. Sorry, this is not a viable solution for wireless surrounds.
Wireless would be great if the equipment itself was up to snuff, but there's major reliability issues with it all. I think that's why it's often recommended to avoid if at all possible.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wireless would be great if the equipment itself was up to snuff, but there's major reliability issues with it all. I think that's why it's often recommended to avoid if at all possible.
Yamaha does this well with Musicast but you have to use their surround speakers. Yamaha did not fit in my cabinet, otherwise I was going to get it instead of Marantz.

Sound and everything was alright with this setup. No disconnects, no delays, etc. Just perfect. However, this SVS does not do it right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a shame , gotta find ways to hide cables then if it does not work well enough. Maybe technology will eventually allow wireless in the future .
It is not possible to run cables for me. There is no way I can get it to the back of the room without making them visible everywhere.

I am going to keep using it like this for the time-being. Just wanted to inform the folks that this setup is irritating.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
It is not possible to run cables for me. There is no way I can get it to the back of the room without making them visible everywhere.

I am going to keep using it like this for the time-being. Just wanted to inform the folks that this setup is irritating.
Are you able to run the cables under a rug? It's what I do, but I also make my own fancier-looking cables so that it's a little more visually appealing. For example:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you able to run the cables under a rug? It's what I do, but I also make my own fancier-looking cables so that it's a little more visually appealing. For example:
Those look nice. I have no carpets, it is all marble.

However, I have some full house audio system and network sockets. One is behind marants, another behind the room where wireless speakers are. This can probably work. In future I will see if I can run cables through these sockets. But in future. I want to enjoy my system a bit. Present inconveniences have workarounds (leave amp on all the time, do not pause audio more than 10 mins, keep volume above 35).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you ever tried Dynasty ProAudio WSA-5RP Wireless Surround Rear Speakers Kit? There is a good video on it being installed and showcased. Looks really good.

Website: WSA-5RP Wireless Surround Sound Rear Speakers Kit with 2 x 50W Amplifi

Youtube Vid:

And this is your first post?

I am not ordering crappy equipment from crappy sites with no address.

There are many videos about SVS working seamsless as well. It does not. If SVS did not get this right, some crappy chinese will not get it right either. I could pay $8 to try it instead of $189.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts