AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the latest version of the software - 530511440 in an RTV5160 unhacked in any way. I've been having a problem connecting to the service for the Guide for over a week now. I have tried all the options listed in the FAQs at Replay & here with differing errors or no errors but no Guide either. I have tried changing the modem speed, powering down the unit, changing the Satellite service and changing the phone number to no avail.

The errors I have gotten - network socket error, error 84420005, and Unable to connect. I have NO Guide or channels at this point. The odd thing is that the phone gets hung up (disconnected) loong before the Replay is finished.

What should I do now??

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
On the options that you have tried... have you done the reboot the replay?

It really sounds like a network problem, and those can ususally be fixed with a reboot. Unless there's a problem on the server side, if that were the case you'd see more folks complaining.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jeff,

I've tried powering off the Replay but I'm not using a network. That might have to be my next "fix" - move to a network broadband connection.

I'm all out of ideas on how to fix this. It had been working just fine with the modem until last week. I didn't notice the problem as no error messages came up. I found out when I tried to find an episode of NCIS and couldn't.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Marjory,

It seems odd you'd get a Network socket error via modem connection. Definitely try a soft reboot (hold down power button for 10 secs), and then a hard reboot (unplug for a minute). Also, it may help to check the connection method in the Network&Input screen -- try flipping to Ethernet, and then back to Modem. Then, do a "Connect Now" from the Setup menu.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
If you try bargonaut's idea of the switch to network and back to modem, be sure to reset the replay after doing this. The replay should always be restarted after switching network connection method.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried the Soft reboot followed by a hard reboot and tried using a new number in order to quickly select different modem speeds. I started at Default - got as far as Setting Clock before the phone line dropped. So I stopped the connection, did Arrow back, Zones, changed Modem speed to 28.8, tried to connect for local number numbers again. Got as far as Timezone, stuck there & line dropped again. Redid this with 19.2, 14.4 & 96 - no luck. Changed modem speed back to 28.8 and exited. Then did soft and hard boot again. Tried using Connect to Replay via Setup - started and then line dropped. Ran out of time - will try network/modem switch tonight. Any difference between Net Connect and Connect from the Setup Menu?

And yes, I've been with Replay since my ShowStopper 3000 so I'm not exactly a newbie - I just don't tinker much (yet).

If anyone has any ideas, I'm listening. Please...

This thing had been running fine since the software download problem was fixed. I had to Net Connect a few times to fix that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you are connecting, but getting dropped from more than one phone number, it could be excessive noise on the phone line. If you can use a broadband ethernet connection for your Replay, you should.

-BS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One other thought - I have a DSL filter on the line - again not a new change. It's been on for 5 or 6 months. But I did see a post that the filters could cause a problem???

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MarjoryM
One other thought - I have a DSL filter on the line
That shouldn't cause a problem, but it does bring up a question: if you have DSL, why are connecting the ReplayTV via modem? And have you actually listened to the phone line (with a phone plugged in where the ReplayTV plugs into the phone line) to see if there's noise of some kind on it?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
more dances to try and ideas to think about:

1> take the replaytv to a friends house and try to connect there. If you can it may seriously help you diagnose the problem

2>Try unplugging everything for 18 hours

3>Try using a different phone jack in the house. iF there is no TV there simply plug the replaytv in the wall and phone jack before sleeping then move it back in the morning and seeing if the guide is there.

4>Try a known working guide phone number even if long distance

5>Try a new phone cable

6>lift one side of the replaytv up 1 inch and drop

7>Send it in under warranty*

8>hook it up to your dsl and connect to make sure you can still get the guide that way

9>if you have an extra hardrive layign around try putting an image on that one and throwing it in there. There's a small chance data corruption is only affecting the dialing operation.

*must be within warranty period

*Do you have a phone line that drags along the ground/under carpet?

*Do you have a large house with many phones hooked up? or cheap phones plugged in?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I'm going with the noisy phone line as my best guess. I'm really curious about the DSL setup and not connecting broadband. Is it that you don't have a router and your ISP has the one PC rule that you don't want to violate?

The fact that you can connect and then the connection is dropped really points to bad connection somewhere. This is usually noise on the line, and the DSL filters filter out the DSL noise (or they should) and that should be on the line the replay uses.

More to cow's points....

You aren't using VoIP, right? If you do you may be screwed, I'd say you are screwed.

You don't have a cordless phone set up, right? If you do, disconnect the phone while you try your connection. Disconnect the phone from the phone line and unplug the power too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First answer - I had the Replay (and ShowStopper) before I got DSL. It wasn't broken so I didn't fix it. I use them both - the ss for the antenna/local channels and the Replay for my 4dtv Cband Sat. Since I can't network them and the Replay worked fine with the phone line.... no real drive to change it. The odd part is the ss guide is fine - no problem there and it uses the SAME line. I have a wall jack with the filter plugged in and phone line splitter plugged into that. I will try reversing the ss & Replay to see what that does. And maybe unplugging everything and plug the Replay directly in the wall. But I think push has come to shove - time to change to the network/DSL approach!!

What will "6>lift one side of the replaytv up 1 inch and drop" accomplish?

(except maybe a feeling of satisfaction?)

OK I give up - what is VoIP?

And all of my phones are cordless... So??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope - not using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
So you have DSL but choose not to use it with your 5160?! Not only are you now dealing with the quirky behavior 5000's tend to have with dial-up, you're also missing out on: IVS, DVArchive, fast and reliable guide updates- software updates, and networking with other 5xxx's if you choose to 'upgrade' your showstopper.;) ;)

Do yourself a favor and get a router for practically free (shop around, there's deals all the time), if you don't already have one. You'll never look back.

You really have no idea what your missing if you haven't tried it out.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Marjory, glad you got VoIP, google is your friend. =)

Cordless phones... think about it, it's a wireless system. Just like wireless networking, these things use rf "noise" to do the communication between the base and the remote unit. This stuff is exactly what the shielding on cables and hardware components are suppose to be able to handle, but they don't always.

I understand the "if it ain't broke..." I never follow it, but I should.

Your case seems to be, almost without a doubt, the phone line. If the phone line is noisy because of the wiring (there's NO shielding on phone wire) and your cordless phones that would make sense. Give it a shot and see. Seach here for "cordless phone" and see what other users have for comments. There's also a big difference between a 46Mhz (old school) cordless and a 1GHz (microwave) or 2GHz cordless phones. Personally I won't use a 1 or 2GHz. There also other sources of noise such as cell phones, all this crap adds up and would give you the exact results you see... drop connections.

As icecow also stated.... try a different phone cable. These things are cheap and as cheap cables they don't always work well.

I'd also think back to when you started to notice the problems, and then I'd think if you added any new electronics to your home. ANYTHING can be the cause, even a hair dryer, halogen lights, any cordless/wireless items. Almost every item has an FCC sticker on it stating it won't interfer with other electronic devices, but this isn't always the case.

·
Registered
232 Posts
M-

I think icecow was trying to be thorough, but I wouldn't drop or bang the unit either. Since you have DSL, it should be easy to hook up the Replay via broadband. If you can, you should run an Ethernet cable from a hub or access point near your DSL modem. If you can't, there are wireless solutions that will work. Search around the forum for 802.11g (faster/newer) or 802.11b (slower/ubiquitous) recommendations for the wireless ethernet solutions.

-BS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have a DSL phone line filter connected to your Replay phone line? If not, this could cause you problems with your modem connections.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Malcontent
Do you have a DSL phone line filter connected to your Replay phone line? If not, this could cause you problems with your modem connections.
Nine or so messages up, the following quote from MarjoryM:

"One other thought - I have a DSL filter on the line - again not a new change. It's been on for 5 or 6 months. But I did see a post that the filters could cause a problem???"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the help. I still don't know what the problem was but I bribed my husband to move the router & DSL modem & then cable in the Replay. Bingo!!! It connected & got the guide over the network. So I guess now I'll get into IVS and maybe talk him into another 5xxx for Christmas so I can network them. I may even have to jump into the universal remote & JP1 programming because I'm getting very tired of 5 remotes! Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Marjory I've got an older RatShack 15-1935 JP-1 remote with RF it's 7-in-one so you'd have room to grow. The remove is used, but I don't really think I ever did anything with the remote. If you want to talk about a purchase of an older, yet pretty powerful remote drop me a PM. The unit is complete, the remote, rf receiver (puck), ir blaster, box. I don't have the manual, but it can be downloaded from the following link:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/files/manuals/15-1935.pdf

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.