AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently just built a new PC with the Pentium G3258 which has Intel's HD graphics.
This is a 4th generation Haswell Processor, and should have been able to decode h264 up to 4k, however upon running DXVA checker this isn't the case.

Upon searching the doom9 forums, apparently intel disabled 4k h264 decode on the hd graphics with the latest driver updates (it's still available on hd4400/hd4600 and above)

I am trying to find out more, I hope Intel hasn't deliberately disabled this feature on their lower end chips, it's not the end of the world, I plan on eventually getting an amd 300 series gpu which looks set to have h265 decoding as well, but in the mean time its a bit annoying.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I've recently just built a new PC with the Pentium G3258 which has Intel's HD graphics.
This is a 4th generation Haswell Processor, and should have been able to decode h264 up to 4k, however upon running DXVA checker this isn't the case.

Upon searching the doom9 forums, apparently intel disabled 4k h264 decode on the hd graphics with the latest driver updates (it's still available on hd4400/hd4600 and above)

I am trying to find out more, I hope Intel hasn't deliberately disabled this feature on their lower end chips, it's not the end of the world, I plan on eventually getting an amd 300 series gpu which looks set to have h265 decoding as well, but in the mean time its a bit annoying.
It's a neutered version of the 4600 design, so you shouldn't expect it to do 4K. It can decode limited 4K content without using hardware acceleration, according to the test I pulled up, but that will eat up a lot of your CPU.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
It's a neutered version of the 4600 design, so you shouldn't expect it to do 4K. It can decode limited 4K content without using hardware acceleration, according to the test I pulled up, but that will eat up a lot of your CPU.
It works fine under Linux without high CPU usage, it just can't do UHD @ 60Hz. Up to 30Hz is okay.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's true it only has half the execution units, but the decode part should be independent of shaders. Looking at the doom9 h264 benchmarks thread, it was enabled in the pentium g3420 but with a new beta driver around september last year it didn't work anymore, that user switched to the i7. He told me to complain to Intel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts