AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been to three new stores in the last month, and none of them carry HD/BD. Today, was the grand opening of one in Nashville. Once again; no dice. However, the manager informed me they'd had 1/2 dozen people ask for them since the doors opened at 8 am. He also said, he would tell the buyer about the number of requests. We'll see if it has any impact.

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB; 106" Da Lite HD Progressive 1.3 Screen; Denon 4700H AVR; Panasonic 820 Blu-ray Player
3,187 Posts
Ooooo. . . . "the buyer."

·
Registered
242 Posts
Walmart sucks. None of the walmarts in my area (there are 3 of them) carry any HD-dvd's or blu rays for that matter. Well they all have one blu ray, Xmen3, but its 29.99 hardly a deal considering they have the same title at fry's for 27.99. Another thing is walmart.com has higher prices then target which is strange because walmart was always cheaper for standard dvd then target.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite /forum/post/0

Ooooo. . . . "the buyer."

Yeah really, I worked for Hell Mart once and NO manager ever talks to the buyer. The District GM, maybe but not a store manager or even a department manager. Once an item is sold that data leaves the store and goes to Bentonville Ar. A store manager really only knows when trucks are coming and that they have merch for certain departments, the door greeter knows more than most managers.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Yep none of the 5 walmarts near me carry any HD-DVDs at all although all the targets have a dozen of each format.

The closest walmart is getting 2 blu-rays this tusday. They said they will be put in the ps3 case as they don't have a spot for them otherwise..

·
Registered
13,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillhooley /forum/post/0

Exactly what i was thinking, but as a former retail manager, it is a much easier and faster response than explaining the fact that you have no actual control over what comes in your store.

True.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A new Walmart just opened Friday where I live, Washington, MO, a semi rural area outside of St. Louis, and its twice as big as the old Walmart it replaced, and still I couldn't find any HD discs there.

I went to Walmart.com before I went to the new store, to check out the HD DVD offerings, and except for Superman Returns, their prices on HD DVDs are high anyway. I not going to pay $30 for a movie, except for a select few I really want.

Well, we're going to finally get a Target soon, so we won't be a one store town anymore.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudsuv /forum/post/0

all the ones near me stock hd-dvd and blu ray but very few titles like 5-7 of each format

The posh Wal Mart in Plano, TX that sells caviar only has 4 of each format, and they're literally just thrown in the bottom of one display that makes them impossible to find because they blend in with the rest of the wall of DVDs.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
Wal-mart is still in the test marketing stage for HD DVD and Blu-ray. Expect to see more with the HD A2 rollout.

Also Wal-mart sends some inventory along on new products on a rolling basis from store to store.

Last but not least, Wal-Mart's inventory system can reallocate stock from one store where stuff is selling to another store where it is not.

Expect more inventory at Wal-mart when prices get cheaper and sales grow higher.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It's funny how different the Walmart's are by are of the country.I have 3 Walmart's in my vicinity(one being a "Super' Walmart), and all three recently stopped carrying BlueRay due to lack of sales and used the space left over from them to add more HD DVD titles.The store closest to me is a smaller Walmart but still has over 30 different titles in stock at any one time and gets anywhere from 3-5 copies of all new releases and always get restocked quickly if the sell out.

·
Banned
2,950 Posts
The one by my house has both and haven't restocked since Christmas. I went to one on the "other side of the tracks" thinking the demographic over there wouldn't be HD buyers. I was right, although the lady behind the counter said "They're all HD-DVD's." I have been to 5 others including one in a really nice part of town and they said they are supposed to get them but they haven't showed up yet.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The Walmart near me, while it is not a new one finally got some X Box 360 HD DVD add ons. They have one copy of one HD DVD, Batman Begins, in the case with the Playstation 3 games, locked up. I don't know why. I might go pick it up tonight, since I was planning on getting Batman Begins anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.