Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called and talked to Ann at KCRA/KQCA (916) 446-3333

She said If there is anything on NBC in HD at the same time as an HD show on the WB they will broadcast the NBC program.

So that means

no Everwood in HD on Monday, (you can see a repeat on Easy View Sunday)

no Gilmore Girls & One Tree Hill in HD on Tuesday (you can see a repeat of One Tree Hill on Easy View Sunday)

no Smallville in HD on Wednesday (and if you think you can watch the Easy View on Sunday like last year you cant, Its repeats from the first season.)

no Reba & Like Family in HD on Friday

and no Tarzan in HD on Sunday.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I'm not complaining. I'd rather see the NBC HD programming. I think NBC has more tenure. Sorry but I've never watched anything on WB, HD or not.

Hammer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I missed one Angel just started and It's supposed to be in HD this year also but not in Sacramento.:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I haven't heard anything about the current progress of the HD tower for KQCA. Now that the WB has 7 shows in HD it's irritating that we in Sacamento must choose between a show like ED in HD or Smallville in SD. I watched Smallville anyway because I like the show better, but knowing it was in HD and I was watching stretched SD was painful.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Looks like tonight you got your wish. No NBC HD Law & Order, instead there was some WB show.

The real question is when is the WB transmitter going full power & HD? Until then we are at the mercy of someone at the station?

Hammer

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Hmmm, this is now becoming quite strange. It seemed clear before that the WB HD programming was passed along only when there was not a conflict with NBC HD -- that made sense, since this DTV channel belongs to KCRA, not KQCA. But now we seem to be in a situation where, in the case of a conflict, "someone" will determine which show(s) is more deserving of HD transmission. That's scary.

--Bill R.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Last evening they showed "One tree hill" at 5 pm in HD but for reasons I can't conceive they broadcast the next show,"Everwood", on 3.2 and showed the recall special on 3.1. Why? Doesn't it make more sense to continue the HD WB Sunday in HD and broadcast the recall program on 3.2? Who makes these decisons?....................some Board Op?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I rarely pay attention to what sub-channel is listed when watching KCRA/KQCA anymore as it's usually wrong... Jay Leno for example, 90% of the time is broadcast on the channel identified as KQCA-SD 3.2. Always wondered if it was something wrong with my setup(MyHD card) or their problem.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Here's the scoop from KCRA's Director of Engineering, "We will have the KQCA transmitter on with full power and HD the week of the 17th and at that point in time we will discontinue the practice of sending the WB HD content on 3-1."

Thanks to Anne @ KCRA/KQCA, I also have an "HDTV combo schedule.xls" of the current WB vs NBC dilemma. Please PM me for a copy.

Hang in there:D

Hammer

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Yes, it is currently at low power SD on UHF 46 (remaps to 58.1).

Hammer

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hammerdwn
"We will have the KQCA transmitter on with full power and HD the week of the 17th and at that point in time we will discontinue the practice of sending the WB HD content on 3-1."
The 17th falls on a Friday. I hope he means the work week of 10/13-10/17.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by caprose
I called and talked to Ann at KCRA/KQCA (916) 446-3333

She said If there is anything on NBC in HD at the same time as an HD show on the WB they will broadcast the NBC program.

So that means

no Everwood in HD on Monday, (you can see a repeat on Easy View Sunday)

no Gilmore Girls & One Tree Hill in HD on Tuesday (you can see a repeat of One Tree Hill on Easy View Sunday)

no Smallville in HD on Wednesday (and if you think you can watch the Easy View on Sunday like last year you cant, Its repeats from the first season.)

no Reba & Like Family in HD on Friday

and no Tarzan in HD on Sunday.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
For some reason Smallville was broadcast on 3.1 in HD tonight. ED was broadcast in SD on 3.2. At 9PM 3.1 was switched to NBC and The West Wing HD presentation. I wonder why KCRA changed it's mind and broadcast an NBC HD show in SD and a WB HD show in HD eventhough they were broadcast at the same time?

For the record I'm glad they did. I would choose Smallville over ED any day.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Garrett Adams
The 17th falls on a Friday. I hope he means the work week of 10/13-10/17.
Or November 17th? which is a Monday...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey:

Good news on the KQCA tower...I'll believe it when I see it though!

Also, if they are gonna discontinue broadcasting WB HD shows on 3.1, then what is to become of 3.2? Will they just move all the HD shows on there now? Or will they be shown only on 58.2 or both? :confused:

The reason I ask is that I have no problem pullin' in 3.1 and 3.2 right now, but if they move all the WB HD programming to 58.2 then I'm not sure if I'll still be able to receive the signal...Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I believe they mean Oct 17th. Quote from Anne @ KCRA/KQCA:

"Right now, we're only able to air HD on one of our stations at a time, so we have to make a choice when there is a conflict. (For example, although NBC's Ed is offered in HD, we've chosen to air WB's Smallville in HD because of it's sweeping, dramatic scenes.) In a few weeks, we expect to be able to air everything that's available in HD on both stations."

Samuel_M-

I think they would obviously discontinue the WB on 3-2 once it is on it's own transmitter. Why would you have problems pulling in one DTV station vs. another?

Hammer

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey:

Thanks Hammer, for the quick clarification on that...

With regards to your question, the reason being is that I am actually located in the East Bay (Contra Costa), and since I don't have a clear line of sight to Mt. Sutro, I must rely on Sacramento stations for local OTA HD.

I am able to receive CBS (13.1) NBC (3.1) and WB (currently 3.2) very easily. However, I can't receive Fox (40.1), ABC (10.1), or PBS (6.1). So as you can see my reception is kinda hit and miss. This may be due to the fact that I live in a somewhat hilly area which prevents adequate reception for the latter three stations. I hope to install an amp that I recently bought from Radio Shack to see if that might help boost the signal strength for all three...

If WB were to discontinue broadcasting on 3.2, I am worried that I might not be able to receive 58.2 with such relative ease. But then again, I suppose if both towers are operating from the same location, then it shouldn't be so much of a problem...but I guess I'll find out soon enough now won't I?

Does that make any sense? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hammerdwn

(For example, although NBC's Ed is offered in HD, we've chosen to air WB's Smallville in HD because of it's sweeping, dramatic scenes.) In a few weeks, we expect to be able to air everything that's available in HD on both stations.Hammer

Good decision KCRA/KQCA! It actually makes sense. I don't know why that surprises me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.