AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I've got a problem with my new Gigabyte hd4550 card, it's the usual MS can't find driver, no sound output.

Heres where the issue has gotten me making a new thread just to try and solve it.

Just for reference I am running an:

Asus A8s-x soundmax ac97 6.0 audio onboard (old mobo, I had around the house)

AMD athlon 2.8GHz ( can't remember any more about the cpu)

1GB ram (it and the cpu where already on the board and in the case that was sitting around)

brand new WD 500gb hdd

Gigabyte ati HD4550 with native HDMI port, and its "SPOSED" to support audio out.

Windows 7 RC

running it into an oh so imfamous onkyo 606 then onto a Sanyo 32" lcd tv all through HDMi.

Now I realize one of the 1st replys I'll get will most likely be " get the ati dongle" I'm pretty sure I don't need it since the card has an hdmi port on it, also I have an asus laptop with the 3850? with an hdmi port also but atm it only supports 2.0 (the laptop card that is). The second response I expect to get is Download "FROM" realtek the hd audio driver and the ati hdmi driver, and install them in that order, I have tryed that the HD audio driver installs however Device manager and sound controls do not show any signs that its there, also when I go to install the hdmi driver I get 96% done and i get "No driver supported in this driver package!". Now I have tryed to bypass this error by running the setup in admin mode, admin mode in safwe mode, copy and pasting the drivers and applications, and tryed to find older versions of the driver to no avail, and the ones i could find gave the same results.

Now some people have said on other forums that windows 7 may be an issue so i tryed to solve this with xp sp1 + hotfix, sp2 + hotfix, and sp3, still no go.

I have also tried all this with older catalyst drivers, reformatting and reinstalling, driver cleaners, most of the otehr suggestions that have been mentiond to work across the net, oh and I almost forgot about the other reply I'd get regarding the onkyo, use hdmi 1, which I have, and its why I know the 3850? on my laptop works.

Now as far as I know that only leaves me with two options, A) get vista and try it, and B) get a new mobo.

I'm gettign a copy of vista from a coworker to try, and if that doesn't work then it leaves me with buying a new mobo but I'd like to avoid that at least for another 6months or so, if possible, so with that in mind I beseach you oh HTPC HD audio gurus of the net, any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I don't think Vista would be any better. W7 can use Vista drivers.

It sounds like you've tried everything, but ...

Did you try updating the BIOS? Or checking the ASUS site for help?

Did you try bypassing the Onkyo and going directly to the TV? (just to test)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe I will say stupid, but...

Is your video card actualy getting sound signal from the integrated sound card? If not, you will get just video signal from video card in my opinion. You told your video card has HDMI output, but I'm not sure this output by default getting sound from sound card...

I had kinda similar problem with other brand equipment, but the video card had only DVI out. I needed to hook integrated sound card and video card by SPDIF cable. In this way DVI output is getting audio as well, so with the DVI -HDMI adapter I had both video and audio autput...

It's just my first thoughts
I would check if it is some cable (SPDIF) going from mother board (integrated sound card) to video card, because I don't think the sound signal is reaching video card (and HDMI output) by PSI slot.

But I can be wrong, because I had just DVI output, maybe HDMI output gets audio signal somehow diferent

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waidulis /forum/post/16908730

Maybe I will say stupid, but...

Is your video card actualy getting sound signal from the integrated sound card? If not, you will get just video signal from video card in my opinion. You told your video card has HDMI output, but I'm not sure this output by default getting sound from sound card...

I had kinda similar problem with other brand equipment, but the video card had only DVI out. I needed to hook integrated sound card and video card by SPDIF cable. In this way DVI output is getting audio as well, so with the DVI -HDMI adapter I had both video and audio autput...

It's just my first thoughts

You most likely have a Nvidia card and zero experience about ATI. ATI's HD series of cards have an onboard audio chip which pass multi-channel audio over HDMI. Advice is still relevant, just not for ATI.

Consider yourself educated.

To the OP,

I had a similar problem with a buddy's Diamond HD3450 card. In his case the HDMI audio would only be available through the DVI port (w/ ATI adapter of course). When I plugged the cable in the HDMI port, no sound. In fact, no device shows up in Vista's Audio Panel. Wasn't a big deal for him since it was connected to his TV's stereo speakers, we just used the analog outs.

Since you have Win 7, you may be having the same issues, kinda hard to tell until you try everything. So before you spend more money on anything, spend $10 on an ATI dongle or ask your manufacturer for one. And see if it works.

If it does, then great, if it doesn't then, well at least you tried everything.

·
Registered
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenpointoness /forum/post/16904562

Hey folks, I've got a problem with my new Gigabyte hd4550 card, it's the usual MS can't find driver, no sound output.

when I go to install the hdmi driver I get 96% done and i get "No driver supported in this driver package!".

Download the latest graphics drivers with the full catalyst suite, it comes with an HDMI audio drive. Perhaps that will fix the problem with the install. It will also get you the latest drivers for your new 4550. Once it actually installs the HDMI right, see if it works. But Hirent also had some good points about the DVI port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep checked asus, and yep bios is uptodate.

I've tried CCC 9.7 and the one that came with the card, and what ever other ones I could find on the web.

Yea I tried PC -> TV with the HDMI cable and with a DVI/hdmi cable I had.

The thing is, on my laptop which is asus also It displays teh hdmi audio, speader, and digi out, now it wont run the hdmi untill its connected, also when I look at the device manager (on the laptop) it shows the gfx card, and then all the audio devices, modem, hdmi, and speakers, But on the HTPC (rather trying to be an htpc) it doesnt show any of this on either of the lists.

I'll see about getting a dongle, a bit dissapointing since the card has a HDMI port, if the dongle doesn't work then I'm just gonna wager its either the antique audio chips on the mobo, or its non-compatable audio devices, ati being realtek and mobos being soundmax, or a combination of the two.

Untill I get the htpc completely up and running its off to use the laptop which states its a 2.0 out but I could swear on some of my media it plays surround and thank you guys for the assistance and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenpointoness /forum/post/16904562

when I go to install the hdmi driver I get 96% done and i get "No driver supported in this driver package!". Now I have tryed to bypass this error by running the setup in admin mode, admin mode in safwe mode, copy and pasting the drivers and applications, and tryed to find older versions of the driver to no avail, and the ones i could find gave the same results.

If your error message is this:

then perhaps that's because your mb is too old. I saw quite a few people reported this problem with older mbs released in 2004 or earlier ( HP z555, a P915 chipset system , for example). Perhaps struggling with it is a waste of time. Buying new mb/CPU/memory is the only solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/16908814

You most likely have a Nvidia card and zero experience about ATI. ATI's HD series of cards have an onboard audio chip which pass multi-channel audio over HDMI. Advice is still relevant, just not for ATI.

Consider yourself educated.

Yes, you are rightmine was Nvidia and I'm quite confidence with it, but no at all with ATI

One more remark. To get sound throug DVI - HDMI port (connected with HDMI to AVR) of my Nvidia card, I need to play with the Nvidia Control manager, I meen I need to make Dual monitor option (Clone) - somehow only in this case AVR sees conection. Other options (like usualy by default Single Monitor and some other) don't work in this case.

Don't know that about ATI card Controls, just trying to help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have exactly the same motherboard & gigabyte 4550 card running under Vista 32bit... and the same problem!

I've trawled through hundreds of threads that all offer pretty much the same advice, and am currently rebuilding vista on another HDD to try on a "clean" computer. Given the issues I had with the onboard sound when I initially installed Vista, I'm going to say the issue is with the motherboard...

I haven't given up yet though, as I don't want to spend $$ upgrading the rest of the system just yet.

I'll post back here if i find anything... if you can do the same it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, I've come to the conclusion that the Asus A8S-X motherboards do not work with the HDMI audio. After doing a clean install of Vista and disable/enabling various BIOS settings, trying all the various drivers and tricks mentioned... still no sound. (there also appears to be some dodgy SATA problems on this board)

Fotunatly I had an old (not as old as A8S-X) Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard spare. I installed Vista, SP1 & SP2, Installed the 4550 card, then installed latest Catalyst Drivers (9.7), rebooted and the HDMI sound just works. I've only got it hooked directly to the Sony Bravia 46" V series LCD.. so only Stereo at the moment.

Now I'm off to buy an AMD 5050e processor, as this board only has a Sempron 3000 (1.6ghz)... and maybe some RAM... Guess I'm spending more $$... *sigh*... maybe i should buy a better board at the same time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.