AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

as explained here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466721/need-help-with-special-ceiling-mount-type , i convinced my wife for projector. However there are few issues, and one of them is that there is no HDMI cable in ceiling at place where projector will be. Since my wife was against projector, i gave up at that time, but now she agrees but i have no chance to get HDMi there
What i have is LAN Cat6 shielded cable arround the place of mounting of projector and electricity cable. I woul like to avoid very expensive DLNA capable projectors, if such even exists, and if DLNA is already at that level so i could watch 1080p content in highest possible quality (don't know if DLNA will simply be the best solution for streamin from NAS) so my question is if it's recommended to use some connectors which change HDMI from source of signal to LAN cable and then from LAN again to HDMI so i can connect to projector. What would be the best solution and is HDMI-->LAN-->HDMI suggested? What or which components are the best to buy?

Many thanks for help in advance!

Martin

·
Registered
434 Posts
You probably don't want to stream DLNA to your projector because that throws in the complications of having to figure out how you get audio back from the projector to your speakers, if at all.

Use these HDBaseT cat6 extenders from Monoprice. They will allow you to extend your video signal from your AVR to the projector AND carry IR signals for basic projector control at the same time. And Ethernet, which could be useful if you have an IP-controllable projector.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, many thanks. So that means I need 2 of these HDBaseT, right? Since i am complete newbie to this technology, i would need to get more help on it
So please correct me if i'm wrong:

- 1 pc HDBaseT somewhere in ceiling close to projector where LAN cable ends and then switch to HDMI to projector

- 1 pc HDBaseT in server room inside the rack where NAS sits and HDMI cable from Mother board with build in graphic card, then HDMI cable goes to HDBaseT and from HDBaseT continue LAN cable to HDBaseT close to projector, so overall scheme look as follows: NAS motherboard ---> HDMi cable ---> HDBaseT ---> LAN Cable ---> HDBaseT ---> HDMI cable ---> Projector. Is this correct?

With Above setup i will get video and audio to Projector only. But i don't know how to get audio to A/V receiver...
Does something like this works?

A/V Receiver ---> HDMI cable or optical cable ---> HDBaseT ---> Lan Switch ---> LAN Cable ---> Router in server room ---> LAN Cable ---> HDBaseT ---> optical or HDMi cable to mother board (soundcard).

My motherboard has only 1 HDMI connector...

Thanks for help!!

Martin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disaster....just found that LAN cable is cutted between 2 rooms
There is almost no chance to change it
So now it doesn't matter anymore unless i could somehow get there HDMI cable instead of cutted LAN...Dstance is approx 8-9 metres, so should be still ok for HDMi...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by embeathome  /t/1468024/no-hdmi-cable-for-projector-need-help#post_23199073

Disaster....just found that LAN cable is cutted between 2 rooms
There is almost no chance to change it
So now it doesn't matter anymore unless i could somehow get there HDMI cable instead of cutted LAN...Dstance is approx 8-9 metres, so should be still ok for HDMi...

I assume that you are running cable in the walls and ceiling. If you nave an attic overhead and are using inside walls all you need to do is drill about an 3/4 inch hole in the top usually 2 2X4's and run a tap down to check for fire blocks, generally not in inside walls then Monoprice.com has what you need for an HDMI cable. 8 meters would be a litter longer than 25 feet, and get some port savers from them, the 8 inch ones work good. If you cannot to that is time to learn how to cut and patch dry wall. The big home improvement stores can help with the how to. I also assume you are in your own place.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Phil, yep, it's own place. I am from easter europe so no monoprice here and even no dry wooden wals, just bricks used in the house. So i need to drill hole through wall and somehow get hdmi to server room. Do you think 9 metres is too much for hdmi? Shall i rather use LAN cable instead? Don't know what u mean by port saver
Other question is if i use hdmi cable, since never heard about DIY hdmi cable, i need to drill larger holes due to larger hdmi connectors at the end, or shall i buy just cable and connectors separate and then terminate them?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hi, I don't think or at least have not heard of it, making up your own HDMI cables works out, some things just can't be done by hand. Now that I have a better understanding of what you have to work around, I would think that running a new cat 6, make that more then one would be the easer way to go. One thing you can do is look at the Monoprice web site for ideas. There is another one that has a link on the bottom of the page called blue jeans cable that is also very informative. And no I don't think 8 or 9 meters is to long for HDMI as long as it's 22 gage and not 3D. Port savers are a 8 inch 28 gage HDMI cable to take the strain off the HDMI port on both the source and sink devices in your case a projector. I am sure you can order from vendors here as I have ordered from both Europe and Asia without problems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Phil and all. I rather edited house project and inserted everything how it is and what could be done. See picture. I believe it will be clear what is going on here. Few comments:

- not possible to connect projector with A/V receiver or to any other equipment in "TV, Wii and switch" area are directly.

- not possible to get another cable from server room (NAS) to A/V receiver or to any other equipment in "TV, Wii and switch" area are directly

- I am pretty sure i can get even both HDMI and LAN cable from server room to Projector (digging hole in 2 walls no problem)

- I would like to avoid buying any new equipment such Network player, WD Live etc. Fyi Apple TV doesn't work in my country so no Apple stuff possible at all. But if some is neccesary to get home A/V distribution work, then i will go for it.

- I would like to aviod turning on TV/Projector when streaming music from NAS to A/V Receiver (at the moment i have old A/V reciever which doesn't have LAN connector so i need to replace to be able streaming over DLNA)

- Whole setup should be as low energy consupmtion as possible (that's why above avoiding TV turning on and so on)

- No Blue Ray Player nor DVD player at all.

I was already about to dig the holes to the walls but then i realized - how will i control (play files from) NAS when NAS sits in different room? Also how will i get movie sound to A/V receiver when only LAN cable from NAS to "TV, Wii and switch" area.

Maybe it is very easy to setup but i am complete newbie so have no idea....

·
Registered
663 Posts
well, I hate to complicate things further, but if you wish to use digital audio at its best fidelity, you will need to find a way to route your source to your HDMI (?) equipped AV receiver before routing HDMI to your projector.

There are outboard HDMI audio de-embedders on the market, but they will only give you analog or traditional optical or coaxial digital outputs, which won't pass the latest greatest surround formats.

Looks like you have some hard choices ahead regarding wire routing or system performance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now i realized what's wrong with my setup and where i made a mistake. I was completely wrong! I thought I will "call" NAS to play a movie over the network (which is OK) but i didn't realize that NAS is only storage but will not play the file. I need network Blue Ray player, or any network media player, streamer connect to Projector with HDMI cable. So i do not need to dig into walls where i planned to (green and blue dashed lines) but i need to get HDMI cable from A/V receiver/TV/Wii/Switch are to Projector. So now it's clear, I will consider if that's possible and will do it. I will get there both LAN and HDMI in that case.

This happens when building a house and not thinking what's necessary
My mistake....what a shame.

Thank you guys for helping me. And if you know about any solution which will avoid digging into walls and ceiling, please let me know

Martin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Joe. Yes and no. I could get both HDMI and LAn cables, those which are dashed, green and blue. However it doesn't make sense to get there HDMI cable from NAS...because NAS wont play media, it is just storage, unless i can use DLNA from NAS to projector but i think this is not really recommended...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts