AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung HT-AS720 HTIB and a 26' RCA HDTV. I've had this setup for about a year now, but it's my first home theatre setup.

When I set it up, I got no audio through HDMI, so I bought a digital audio cable and get sound through that. However, the sound drops out, usually during loud or "sudden" noises - explosions, shouting and the like.

I also have a SAMSUNG Blu-Ray player hooked up via HDMI, and do not have these sound problems with it.

I realized recently that I maybe should be able to get TV sound through the HDMI hookup, but no matter what settings I've tried on the receiver or the TV, I've had no luck. So either it cannot, or I'm not doing it right.

Would appreciate some help. It's quite annoying when the sound drops out whenever things get exciting in a movie!

jmc

·
Registered
897 Posts
It helps to explain how the units are connected. The xxx output is connected to the yyy input using 1 z ft www cable. etc. I am guessing the BD player is connected to the TH by a HDMI cable. The output of the HT is connected to the RCA by an HDMI cable. The TV does not have any HDMI outputs so I don't understand what you are talking about when you state:

"I realized recently that I maybe should be able to get TV sound through the HDMI hookup, but no matter what settings I've tried on the receiver or the TV, I've had no luck."

The only way you can get audio from the TV is from the TV's audio outputs. It sounds like the digital audio from the TV has a problem but it is an RCA. You will have to use the analog audio RCA jacks (red and white) if it has them to connect to the HT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cable is hooked to a box which is hooked to the TV - a few weeks ago cable was hooked directly to the TV, no box (we get Comcast basic cable). Cable signal is fine; I have cable hooked up to this computer too and do not get the dropouts (also, the tech tested it last week - the first box I got was bad).

As for hookups, the TV does have HDMI - there's an HDMI connection and a digital (fiber) audio connection from the TV to the receiver. There's an HDMI connection from the blu-ray player to the receiver as well. I assume HT is Home Theater - what's TH? Typo?

I'm thinking y'all assumed I meant "rca jacks" when I said the TV was RCA - RCA is actually the brand. The TV does indeed have the analog RCA connectors, but also has HDMI and digital audio ports.

I hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts