AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you were in good shape with your DVI connection? Wrong. Apparently Toshiba has decided to alienate owners of older HDTVs by making HD DVD available only through the newer HDMI connection. Blu-Ray has yet to decide the issue. Here is the link to the story.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haghighi
Does it really matter if you can use a hdmi to dvi adapter?
I read in a trade publication that there were potential problems (demonstrated with some HDMI-equipped standard def DVD players) with going from HDMI (source) to DVI (display).

·
Registered
147 Posts
BluRay will more then likely do the same thing. A HDMI-DVI cable will be all you will need. There are always potential issues, but with decent cables it will work 99% of the time. Studios will only release HD content on a secured connection.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
what about the poor folks w/ only components?

(Not that I'm planning to run out and buy one when it hits the store.)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k
what about the poor folks w/ only components?

(Not that I'm planning to run out and buy one when it hits the store.)
The sad thing is that it looks like you may be out of luck. If you read the article it mentions that even new cable boxes are equipped to down rez the signal over component. No cable company is doing that yet, but don't be too surprised if it happens.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's true that DVI=HDMI then an adapter should do the trick and the author of this article is misinformed. So why is Holywood insisting on HDMI over DVI?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hollywood is just saying that to output HD, your device needs to accept a HDCP encoded signal. All HDMI and just about all DVI ports use this scheme. Since HDMI seems to be the new standard (and is just DVI + audio) all manufacturers will be pushing this type of connector.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
It may be that HDMI has adopted a higher level copy protection standard, but for now it is using the DVI backward compatibiltiy mode. If this is the case then the DVI owners are screwed. Does anyone know if the security sttandards have changed?

However from the HDMI site is the following:

Technology

HDMI is fully backward compatible with PCs,displays and consumer electronics devices incorporating the Digital Visual Interface (DVI) standard. Both HDMI and DVI were pioneered by Silicon Image and are based on TMDS®, Silicon Image's powerful, high-speed, serial link technology. HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It transmits all ATSC HDTV standards and supports 8-channel digital audio, and with 5 Gbps of bandwidth, HDMI can accommodate future enhancements and requirements. Because HDMI was designed specifically for consumer electronics applications, it offers an array of additional consumer enhancements. As digital content can manifest itself in a variety of sizes, resolutions and formats, HDMI-enabled systems will automatically configure to display content in the most effective format. In addition, HDMI enables a single remote point and click, allowing manufacturers to deliver home theater systems that automatically configure from a single command from a remote control -- turning on or off the components necessary to view a DVD, listen to a CD, or watch cable or satellite TV.

If this is the case we could have a class action lawsuit based upon misrepresentation.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo
It may be that HDMI has adopted a higher level copy protection standard, but for now it is using the DVI backward compatibiltiy mode. If this is the case then the DVI owners are screwed. Does anyone know if the security sttandards have changed?.
I'm pretty sure they haven't, but many sets with DVI that are two years old or so might not have DVI w/ HDCP. That might be what's creating the confusion.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I just found this on the HDMI site:

HDMI Specification

When was the HDMI specification released?

The HDMI 1.0 specification was released in December 2002.

The HDMI 1.1 specification was released in May 2004.

It is possible that the HDMI 1.1 has security features not supported by DVI?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
If that were the case, then they'd be saying you needed a certain version of HDMI (although I'm not sure how many devices there were with HDMI made prior to 12/02).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Many people I know with newish HDTV's don't even have a DVI port. Now they have to find out that hooking it up through component will give them 480i oh a high def player.

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo
I just found this on the HDMI site:

It is possible that the HDMI 1.1 has security features not supported by DVI?
Nope. HDMI 1.1 adds support for encrypted hi-res multi-channel audio support, i.e. DVD-Audio via HDMI 1.1.

HDCP is what copy-protection is all about and it is a separate entity from HDMI organization. The implementation of HDCP is universal for both DVI and HDMI.

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oliver
Many people I know with newish HDTV's don't even have a DVI port. Now they have to find out that hooking it up through component will give them 480i oh a high def player.
By the time these HD-DVD or BluRay get popular, those TVs probably already died or need replacement anyway. We're still a long way to go to adopt those next 'best thing' if that happens at all.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121
By the time these HD-DVD or BluRay get popular, those TVs probably already died or need replacement anyway. We're still a long way to go to adopt those next 'best thing' if that happens at all.
Wow, you must have had really bad luck with TVs. My last one lasted over 10 years.

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk
Wow, you must have had really bad luck with TVs. My last one lasted over 10 years.
Do you really think HD-DVD or BluRay will succeed and take over the market in 10 years? Besides, those bought Component input only TVs are probably already 5 to 6 years into the ownership.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
This will really slow down the uptake of HD players (deservedly so). My DLP has only 1 DVI input and no HDMI inputs, and it will be a cold day in hell before I "upgrade" to an HD player that won't play HD with my setup! There are already 2 articles when you log onto the forum that 1) Toshiba is expecting a slower uptake than originally expected, and 2) market research is suggesting that only a very small number of people expect to upgrade to HD DVDs in the near future. If Toshiba tries this crap and Sony doesn't, I already know who will win the format war. If they both go this way, both formats may be as popular as SACD and DVD-A, and the movie industry will only have itself to blame..

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oliver

Well we should fight this instead just rolling over like a bunch sissies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.