AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my HDTV gear set up and there has been no HDTV this week on the major networks. Even Leno last night was not in Hi-Def and I thought he always was.

What am I missing??

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just looked on titantv.com and it says Leno, MD's and Law and Order are going to be in Hi-Def tonight. We will see??????:mad:

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have no idea what you are talking about. There has been and will be lots of HD network programming this week. This is the only night of the week that CBS has no HD programming. All of prime time was HD on ABC last night and 2 of the three hours will be tonight.

http://www.cbs.com/info/hdtv/
http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html

·
Registered
936 Posts
whats your location? do you have an antenna for local reception? if not you can't receive network HD programming*.

*unless you have dish network and are in an area authorized for CBS HD via Dish.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Did you do a scan and have your tuner detect the digital stations? They are on different channels than the regular stations, mostly UHF. Digital stations have the -1,-2 designation after them. Were you watching the Std. channel by mistake? Are your local stations broadcasting HD or just digital? Some cannot transmit the HD feed only Sd over digital.....

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am recieving the -1 stations.(4-1, 5-1, 7-1, 25-1) I am in the Boston Area. So I thought these are the Digital stations. But last night nothing came in. At least on my Zenith HD-520, the HD symbol did not light up signifing a HD signal. I couldn't even get Leno in HD last night even though the picture was really clear and it did look great.

I don't know why it not seeing a HD signal. The antenna I am using is a winegard and all signal strengths are great.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
OK, that explains it a bit. Do not go by the HD light on any STB, they have not been reliable indicators of HD programming. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. You've probably been seeing HD, however I would hope you would have recognized it even without the light.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say that Leno was in HD. I was really nice. BUT MD's and Law and Order if they were in HD, they looked terrible. Just like a regular station.

But for my own clarification, the stations with the -1 next to them are the HD channels? I want to make sure I am just getting the proper channels.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
271 Posts
Last nights Law & Order was a repeat from last season, before they were doing HD transfers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I watched Leno on 7-1 last night, and it was in HD. Liked the bit about "operation eliminate Geraldo."

And yes, those are the HD stations. You can also get PBS on 2-1, Fox on 25-1, and UPN on 38-1 (all numbers are the remaps - I always forget where they are originally, which is the purpose of remaps I guess).

I'm not familiar with your STB, but I know on the Samsung ones you select between 480i, 480p, and 1080i via a little switch in the back. If your STB has the same sort of thing, double check that its set to 1080i. And you are running component cables from your STB to your TV, right?

Joe

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leno looked in Hi-Def last night it's just that the HD symbol on the info screen did not light up indicating there was a Hi-Def signal present, so I just figured it was not Hi-Def. But I guess it must have been. I also recieve station 2-2 which is always broadcasting in Hi-Def and the HD symbol lights up there.

Another thing I am getting is the WSBK HD channel. the HD symbol lights up showing Hi-Def, but I know for a fact it is not. It just must be an upscaled image because it looks horrible.

I think ER is Hi-Def tonight. I will wait to see. Anthing else on Hi-Def tonight so I can check it out??

Thanks for all the imput

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.