AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Been many years since getting a new TV, and was very surprised to see that the 32" ones I was looking at
do not come with a Headphone Jack on the front anymore. Don't know how typical this is now, or if only the
LG ones I was considering ?

So as not to drive the wife crazy, I plug in headphones to listen now.
Plugging them in, of course, disables all the Speakers.
A real requirement for my staying married.

So, how is this "problem" handled for these new sets ?
I imagine lots of folks have the same headphone requirements.

I saw one suggestion for using a Digital to Analog converter from the Optical output.
Is this the only simple practical way ?
*If so, what brands and model number would you suggest, please.
(Parts Express seems to offer one for about $45. Good ? Are there others that are "better ?)

Other approaches ?

And, if this is the best approach, if I turn the volume on the set to essentially zero, does the optical output level remain unchanged so that headphones can still be used ?

Very confused about all of this.
If anyone could explain the approaches, and what others do, would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Banned
179 Posts
Am sure Sony ones do.

I've always bought Sony TVs and having a headphone port was always essential for me.

However with the 79X900B the wireless subwoofer takes over the headphone port with its transmitter (I imagine all models and sizes that support the subwoofer do).

Anyway, I ended up getting the MDR-HW700Ds HDMI headphones.

They're really good and easy to use, and wireless so that could be an option

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts
Hello,Been many years since getting a new TV, and was very surprised to see that the 32" ones I was looking at
do not come with a Headphone Jack on the front anymore. Don't know how typical this is now, or if only the LG ones I was considering ?
Headphone jacks have been disappearing from TVs for several years now and only a handful of current models have one.

So, how is this "problem" handled for these new sets ? . . . . . I saw one suggestion for using a Digital to Analog converter from the Optical output. Is this the only simple practical way ? *If so, what brands and model number would you suggest, please. And, if this is the best approach, if I turn the volume on the set to essentially zero, does the optical output level remain unchanged so that headphones can still be used ?
The Optical Output typically outputs a fixed line-level signal with no way for the TV's remote to control the volume level from this output. For an Optical-to-Analog RCA converter to work, your headphones will have to have their own independent Volume Control. And even then it may not work properly.

The more inexpensive Optical-to-Analog RCA converters will not decode and convert 5.1 audio so they will not work properly in you're watching TV through the TV's Internal Antenna/Cable tuner. There are a few converters at 3-4 times the price that will decode 5.1 when using the TV's tuner. And some TVs also output 5.1 from external devices that are connected to the TV via HDMI.

If headphone use is important, i'd just get a TV with a headphone jack. Best Buy has a couple of nice 32" Insignia brand 1080p LCD TVs that have a traditional headphone jack. A friend just picked up the 24" version for use in front of her treadmill and she uses IPOD earbuds with it. The speakers turn off when she plugs the headphones in, and the TV's remote controls the volume of the headphones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts