AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've recently got a Sharp 42XD1E hooked up via DVI --> HDMI from my htpc and all is great .... until I turn the screen off or change inputs. The next time I turn it on again there is no picture unless I unplug then re-plug in the HDMI cable. It's as if the PC isn't seeing a monitor attached anymore until it's unplugged and replugged in again.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

It's got an ATI graphics card running the latest driver

This doesn't seem to happen on my other PC with an Nvidia card

Dave

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
There is a windows service that I don't recall the name of that you can disable so it doesn't auto detect when the display is or isn't there. I see in my services list ATI smart, maybe that's it. I can't test it, I have an analog display.

Troy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema /forum/post/0

There is a windows service that I don't recall the name of that you can disable so it doesn't auto detect when the display is or isn't there. I see in my services list ATI smart, maybe that's it. I can't test it, I have an analog display.

Troy

Ahhh now that's interesting. Thanks, I'll go hunting for the service

Dave

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
This was a known problem with the ATI drivers for about 6 months last year, however, AFAIK, it was fixed with one of the the monthly ATI driver releases last fall. I assume when you say you have the latest driver which I beleive is 7.1 that you got it from the ATI Website and not from Windows update.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/0

This was a known problem with the ATI drivers for about 6 months last year, however, AFAIK, it was fixed with one of the the monthly ATI driver releases last fall. I assume when you say you have the latest driver which I beleive is 7.1 that you got it from the ATI Website and not from Windows update.

I did indeed. Unfortunately that service was already disabled. I'm downloading the latest Omega drivers to see if that fixes it, both ATI 7.1 and 6.9 have this problem for me

Was it documented anywhere? Got any links?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/0

Sorry I don't have any links. I think the problem started with the 6.6or7 drivers and was fiixed with about the 6.11 drivers so I am surprised that you have the problem with the 7.1 drivers.

Oh well, thanks. I guess I'll see if I can get the 6.11 drivers.

I've just tried the Omegas based on the 7.1 and they're the same

Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here it is and no known fix from ATI, just to unplug and replug it back in .... great

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...estionID=20848

EDIT: Apparently people have reported that when Catalyst 6.1 was released this fixed it. Now the problem is obviously back again so I'm going to try Cat6.1

EDIT2: With the Omega drivers it seems to randomly work some times and not others. Bloody thing. I'll try the 6.1 drivers tomorrow.

Dave

·
Registered
847 Posts
ahh, i was wondering why that was happening when i connected my LCD to my laptop (ati x300 mobility) and whenever i switched inputs i would have to either replug in the hdmi cable or Fn+F8 again for it to show up....i thought it was because of my old video card!...

btw, i was using the latest omega drivers when i tried this....im using nvidia now and its not an issue, but good to know its an ati thing and not just my vid card

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.