AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, before I start I will give you the info on my equipment in case this helps

DA3ES receiver

Iscan Pro line doubler

NEC XG-110 PJ

3100HD Cable box by time warner cable.

Problem I am having is when I try to run a HD image from line HBO, I get nothing but scrambled image on my screen. I am running everying into my reciever and back out to the line doubler by the means of RGB. When talking to Time Warner they said that I need some type of converter box due to the single being 1080i for my projector. All other singles coming out of the S-video looks great. Is this try what they tell me and if so I can I fix my problem? What do I need to be able to view 1080i on my PJ

Rick

·
Registered
262 Posts
Is that box sending out RGB??? You sure it's not the YrPbPc (whatever) signal just like a dvd-player? This could be on a 15 pin VGA connector as well as the simple 3 rca. if so you need a transcoder like the one from keydigital. But this may not be it, because I get only green when I try this without a converter not scrambled.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cable box has RGB outputs and that is what I am using. I am running the RGB cables into the back of my receiver and then out again to my line doubler. Out of the line doubler to the PJ using a HVRGB cable. I guess I don't understand why my HD channels are so distorted that I can't even watch. This is were I am looking for help.

Rick

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, on my line doubler is does have the YrPbPc switch. Should this be on or off when trying to run the HD channels? When running DVD it is off.

Rick

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I understand you right you are feeding your line doubler with 1080i? If so that is you problem. The line double can't handle that signal. Try to connect the cable box directly to the pj.

/Kent

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That might work but is there something out there that I can use so I don't have to keep on switching back and forth with the cables?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The cleanest way (not the cheapest) is to get a 2nd RGB input board for the XG. This will allow 2 inputs to the XG. I do know that some scalers have an VGA pass-thru, I don't know if your Iscan does. There is also an option to just get a VGA switch.

Mike

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I looked up your receiver the Sony DA3ES and the switching is only for component video (YrPbPc).

Not RGBHV. I feel your only option is the switch or input board. Only a few of the very late NEC-XG have YrPbPc inputs and I understand the quality using that input can leave much to be desired. I would question the cable box has RGBHV as I have never heard of one that does. Is the connector a 15 pin connector (VGA) or 5 BNC or RCA jacks? If it only has 3 RCA jacks then it is YrPbPc and you need to get an adapter to convert the signal to RBGHV. Did you connect the cable box directly to your NEC and get a good picture? If so then your NEC does have YrPbPc input then the one option is to get a second RGBHV input board for the NEC and run your Iscan to that.

Mike

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cable box has three rca jacks coming out of it. I have not tried running it direct into my CRT because my CRT cable ends are BNC and the cable box are RCA and I don't have an adapter for it. What type of adapter are we talking about to convert the signal and were can one purchase it?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The adapter is made by Audio Authority http://www.audioauthority.com/aaccon.../9a62detc.html

You will need to put the adapter between the receiver and the projector. I assume that your Iscan also has YrPbPc (3 RCA Jacks) out, if so then connect it to the receiver.

Disclaimer:

I have no experience with this adapter however it is sold by Digital Connection whom has a very good reputation for selling quality products. You might do a search to find out if anyone has used this adapter and find out how well it works. Beware the same company also makes a RGBHV to Component adapter (the other direction) that is a much more common application for RPTV’s so be sure your talking about the right adapter.

Mike

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Rick,

Those three RCA connectors on the back of your 3100HD are component output, NOT, I repeat NOT RGB connections. They may be color coded Red, Green and Blue but they output in the component video format Y,Pr,Pb (Y=Green RCA connector, Pr= Red RCA Connector, Pb= Blue RCA Connector).

Here's the proof from the Scientific Atlanta website...

Explorer 3100HD Set-top - Scientific-Atlanta's Explorer 3100HD digital set-top is designed to meet growing consumer demand for high definition television (HD). It will function as an interactive set-top capable of presenting programming at HD resolutions through the component outputs. The Explorer 3100HD not only will tune analog channels, but also will be capable of decoding all 18 ATSC high-definition formats. It upconverts all content to 1080i to present out the analog component outputs. This allows the subscriber to watch any channel without having to switch between inputs on the TV.

So to use this set-top box, you will need a Component-to-RGB convertor like those made by Extron and Key Digital.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you tell me were I can purchase one and for how much. Is there anything special with the installation of this unit? How will it work with the line doubler?

Thanks Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.