AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you take that statement? I just got a 53" Hitachi, and my brother liked it, so he went out and got one. Circut City had an ad that was "No Interest/No Payments for 12 mons." The salesman told him the TV purchase qualified for that program, so he bought it.

He then gets a monthly bill for $114, he called them and they are giving him the run around and says he has to pay the bill. He said if he would have known this, he would not have bought it.

He has very good credit and does not want this to mess it up. He says he cannot swing the extra $114 right now, but he is getting a big promotion and raise in 6mons, and that's what he was banking on to make the payment. What does he do?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have bought several things on this NI/NP 12 month deal. I get a bill each month, but somewhere on it the statement says that if I pay it off by (due date) interest is credited. It states no payment is actually due. They have to send these things so no one gets a big surprise 12 months later. Now, it is critical that the payment is made in time, because missing it allows the credit company to apply ALL the usury interest due.

Circuit City probably has nothing to do with this statement - it is a finance company that they arrange (and CC pays the interest for you). If they represented the deal as NP/NI and in fact, it is not, they you have a complaint.

In terms of the 'big raise expected in 6 months' I hope those chickens are there for the counting when it matters.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Tell him to return the set for a full refund because he was lied to. Then let's see how fast their tune changes.

Sears tried the same thing with me a year ago. When I threatened to return the set, well wouldn't ya know! Their attitude changed!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That statement is sent out every month(required) ,but you don't have to make the payment.

You must pay in full at the end of the 12 months or you will be charged interest!

There's a telephone number on the bill, just call them and they will verify this. ( they must send out a monthly statement)

It happen to me so i know.

Blue

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called the number on the bill, and the lady was real nice and told me the store lied, and they don not offer NO PAYMENTS. I did a little research, and it turns out that CC has been doing this for a while now, and are being sued. Check it out!

http://www.circuitcitylawsuit.com/ad.htm

You can see why this guy is suing them. Even back then they offered NI/NP, it is plain as day, the ad reads "NO INTEREST/NO PAYMENTS"!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I practice in the area of consumer protection, and have attended seminars where speakers routinely cite cases against CC for similar practices. This is not an isolated incident.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sad part is, now, they say he can't return it because it is over the 30 day return policy. The problem is, it took them over 30 days to send him a bill he was not expecting. He buys the set on 9/30 and gets a bill on 11/7.

What a scam they have going there! He is not asking for anything exept for them to take the TV back because he cannot afford it right now. He still has the ad, and it says "Expo 2001, No Interest and No Payments for 12 mons".

He says if they would have kept the agreement that they explained to him, he would keep the TV. I guess now they have a sale........and a law suit!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
A lawsuit doesn't have to be a big deal. These sorts of things are what small claims is for. I say, have at 'em!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Joe18j

I'm very sorry to hear that .

My experience wasn't with CC .

Try calling the manager again and tell him if he doesn't take the TV back, you will call your local TV stations and picket the store informing potential customers of the scam.

Sometimes these things work.

GOODLUCK and DON'T GIVE IN WITHOUT A FIGHT!

BLUE

·
Registered
75 Posts
little babies on this forum gosh... damn all these deals require you to make the min payment. and if hes crying about $114 then how the heck are you going to pay it off. if your too ignorant to read then you deserve what you got!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
silverass,

Heed your own advice ("if your too ignorant to read ")! READ READ READ! If you did, you would see I said he is getting a promotion and raise to pay for it. the reason for the attitude, is because we are not talking about $30 here, were are talking about $3,000.00!

And for him not reading? The ad clearly say in BIG BOLD letters on the cover of the ad: NO Interest and NO Payments for 12 mons! What in that sentence is not to understand? If they put out an ad that says NI/NP, good honest people take it for face value. If you have to be munipulated, and get out a magnifying glass to search the small print for loop holes, CC does not deserve you as a customer. That is a rip off!! Bottom line!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You must be a millionare, because 3 grand is a lot of money to most people! You don't care cause it's not your money.

And for the * you are talking about, like I said, if you have to leaf through pages and pages of small print to try to find out how you are going to get screwed, you need to go somewhere else!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
And for the * you are talking about, like I said, if you have to leaf through pages and pages of small print to try to find out how you are going to get screwed, you need to go somewhere else!
Don't get me wrong here - I'm not defending Circuit City at all, if their ad was as you state, they were definitely being sneaky, but that's not for me to decide.

That being said, I'm assuming your brother signed an application or contract for the deal. I dunno about anyone else here, but if I'm signing something that will eventually require me to fork over $3000 or risk a black mark on my credit rating, I'm reading that thing carefully. Maybe this will be an eye-opener for others here that are thinking about making a relatively big-money purchase on credit, read the contract! We're not talking monopoly money here, and you don't want to have any negatives on your credit report these days.

Just a thought....

Roddie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was there and I have seen the ad and it clearly stated "No Interst and No Payments for 12 mons" there were no *'s on the front of this ad! The salesman told him over and over there would be NO payments!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
little babies on this forum gosh... damn all these deals require you to make the min payment. and if hes crying about $114 then how the heck are you going to pay it off. if your too ignorant to read then you deserve what you got!
Silvercas...quit being a dumbass

The intention of the thread here is to inform people that CC cheats their customers. I appreciate the info. Next time I purchase anything on credit or similiar. I will surely pay more attention.

I want to thank Silvercas for bringing so much to the discussion. Again please refer back to my first sentence in the post.

DWhite

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Joe18j

I won't be spending my money at CC.

As far as i'm concerned this is bait and switch ,only difference it's with your money.

Thanks for making us aware of this .

I'm interested in the outcome so please keep us updated.

Goodluck

:)

Blue

·
Registered
399 Posts
What does it say on his sales receipt?

It should have some sort of notation as to which of the many types of financing programs that particular sale was sold under.

According to the copy of the Circuit City credit card agreement posted on their web site, they do offer no payment/no interest programs. So, the person who told him they never did that was not well informed.

You said he contacted the customer service number for the lender. He can also contact customer service for Circuit City directly at (877) 932-2225 from 9a to 9p ET. If the CSR cannot give a satisfactory resolution, ask to have the call escalated.

Also, he has the right to dispute the charge with the lender. This must be done in writing and it must be done as soon as the error is found. This is what the CC agreement says about that:

Quote:
YOUR BILLING RIGHTS - KEEP THIS NOTICE FOR FUTURE USE

This notice contains important information about your rights and our responsibilities under the Fair Credit Billing Act.

Notify Us in Case of Errors or Questions About Your Bill

If you think your bill is wrong, or if you need more information about a transaction on your bill, write us on a separate sheet at the address listed on your bill. Write to us as soon as possible. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we sent you the first bill on which the error or problem appeared. You can telephone us, but doing so will not preserve your rights.

In your letter, give us the following information:

- Your name and account number.

- The dollar amount of the suspected error.

- Describe the error and explain, if you can, why you believe there is an error. If you need more information, describe the item you are not sure about.

Your Rights and Our Responsibilities After We Receive Your Written Notice

We must acknowledge your letter within 30 days, unless we have corrected the error by then. Within 90 days, we must either correct the error or explain why we believe the bill was correct.

After we receive your letter, we cannot try to collect any amount you question, or report you as delinquent. We can continue to bill you for the amount you question, including finance charges, and we can apply any unpaid amount against your credit limit. You do not have to pay any questioned amount while we are investigating, but you are still obligated to pay the parts of your bill that are not in question.

If we find that we made a mistake on your bill, you will not have to pay any finance charges related to any questioned amount. If we didn’t make a mistake, you may have to pay finance charges, and you will have to make up any missed payments on the questioned amount. In either case, we will send you a statement of the amount you owe and the date that it is due.

If you fail to pay the amount that we think you owe, we may report you as delinquent. However, if our explanation does not satisfy you and you write to us within ten days telling us that you still refuse to pay, we must tell anyone we report you to that you have a question about your bill. And, we must tell you the name of anyone we reported you to. We must tell anyone we report you to that the matter has been settled between us when it finally is.

If we don’t follow these rules, we can’t collect the first $50 of the questioned amount, even if your bill was correct.
There are remedies available, provided that you take the time to go through the proper channels and steps. Doing this will secure your rights and enable a resolution.

Mongo

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I just mad a purchase at tweeter and was given two options. No intrest for 12 months, but you have to pay every month, or No intrest and no payments for 6 months. It was explained to my satisfaction, and I believe if I had any questions they would have answerd them.

I took the 12 months no intrest and intend on doing a full balance transfer before the intrest kicks in.

Both CC and BB both have terrible reputations for lying about finacing and protection plans.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.