AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last April 1st joke about the Panamorph brought some sensitive people out of the woodwork. I want those people to relax because this is the real deal. My business happens to be located about a 1/2 mile from Cygnus Imaging and the man himself, Shawn Kelly (lucky me). I have recently had my Up-1100 Modified by Thumper and the results of his modifications were very good. I did have one major concern when I got my projector back, the image seemed much dimmer. I did manage to do some Gamma/white balance adjustmnents to bring things up to a near acceptable level, assuming the Panamroph would put the brightness/contrast over the near acceptable and into the very acceptable level.

I e-mailed Shawn on this subject and he assured me that the panny was up to the task. At this point I pretty much begged him to let me borrow one of his prototypes for just one evening so I could be confident that this was the way I wanted my projector set up. I assured him everything would return in prime condition the following day. Shawn agreed to do so with the understanding that the prototype was not a production unit and there were minor flaws with it. Some aluminum components were not anodized and the focus of the lens was just a bit soft compared to where the production units would be. Of course I said, "No problem".

This afternoon as I was about to leave work, Shawn showed up at my place of business with a box labeled "FRAGILE GLASS" and another label, "PANAMORPH". After greetings he pulled the unit from the box and my first impression of the lens was that is was smaller than I expected. It seems as if everyone keeps stating how HUGE it is and I did not find it to be that way. The next observation was how handsome it was and how EXPENSIVE it looked. My father was in the room with us, he really had no idea what he was looking at but he was amazed that Shawn was able to build such a beautiful piece of of optics at such a great price. It just looks extremely well engineered by someone who really knows what they are doing yet it is simple in appearance at the same time.

After chatting for a good thirty minutes or so I was ready to rush home to Grand Blanc (about an hour away, a very long hour) to get hooked up and start the fun. Fortunately I drove my Viper to work that day and was able to shave several minutes off my drive (I told you I was lucky). I got home, kissed the wife and took a quick shower to then procede to the theater room. I installed the Panamorph on the ceiling in less than five minutes. This is an EXTREMELY simple process and Shawn had everything included in the box for the installation with the exception of a phillips screw driver.

I turned on the projector, made a quick height adjustment and set the focus (I seemed to get the focus just as sharp as ever, I am not sure how the production units could be sharper). The first video adjustment I had to make was to reduce the brightness. This was a very good sign. The aspect ratio seemed right on so I never made any adjustments in that regard (tilting the unit). I threw in several different DVDS for my testing. My first impression of the images was how much better the contrast was. The dim image that I wanted to elimate was history (YEE HA!!). Shawn seemed confident on this area of improvement and he was very, very right. The next best thing of course was the pixel density. All images are very smooth and filmlike without any loss in resolution. With my 11ft. wide 16:9 screen at 15ft. away there is no possible way to detect a pixel. This is a MAJOR plus, I hate pixels.

The next area of improvement was just as major but it is hard to describe. I guess I will try it like this: Compressing an image optically seems much more natural for the image than a digital compression. Everything seems cleaner and more fluid with more detail. There just seems to be less artifacts. Maybe some of you that already have anamorphic lenses know what I mean and can describe it better.

I have just spent over three hours watching different DVD's and Laserdiscs and am getting tired. I wanted to share this info with all of you to let you know that the Panamorph is REAL. I have held it in my hands, watched it perform, and it is in my house as I type this. The Panamorph is all I ever hoped it would be and has by far exceeded my expectations on what it has become. The aluminum components really make this thing look like a work of engineering art, and it looks so proper placed in front of the projector.

All of us who pre-ordered this last July have had a long frustrating wait on this product. I can assure all of you we have got the deal of the century. The original pre-order price is an absolute steal for this product, and the current pre-order price is a fantastic bargain and anyone remotely interested in this product should take advantage of any price break offered right away. If you are waiting for me to say ANYTHING negative about the Panamorph in my theater, I have only one complaint. I have to give it back tomorrow. The product itself has absolutly no downsides that I noticed these past few hours.

I would like to thank Shawn for letting me use this prototype for the evening. I was very glad to meet him and enjoyed our conversations. He is very professional and has created an extraordinary product that has conformed to OUR requirments. He is a man who pays great attention to detail and it shines through in this product. I can't imagine how the production units will exceed this prototype, but if he says they will, I believe him.

Two more weeks sure seems like a long time.

Jeff

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a quick addition. Shawn said I may see a bit of "Barrel" distortion but due to my screen having black borders all the way around everything was masked off nice and strait.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hi jeff,

can you give us a rough idea of the physical dimension of the lens and the lens holder.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks for the great pre-review! I am in the process right now of trying to figure out how in the heck I am going to make the Panamorph work with my situation. After mounting my projector, I realized that I only had 3" between the lens and the wall that it shines through. I think that I need to move it back a good bit, but I am not sure how much I need to and how much I can in my situation.

Oh well.

I certainly hope that I can get it before the end of the month because that would dramatically help with finishing my construction.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's very encouraging news, to be sure.

If I may ask, what is your Pj to screen distance and how much did the Pannie drop your top of image? Was it accurate to the .048 ratio given by Cygnus? Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
You have an 11ft wide screen???? Am I reading that right? 132" wide or diagonal? And you cannot see any pixels from that distance? Wow.. I have to see this for myself one day.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Wow! Great post Jeff and terrific news. I'm happy to hear the pixel-hiding feature has survived the long haul since we first saw the early prototype n-months ago (I lost count)! Back then you may recall the Panamorph "depixeled" a Sharp DW100U LCD projector.

Anyway, it looks like the end is near now - Shawn would not have brought that prototype over if he wasn't very confident that that was the final design. Based on everything that Shawn has done to improve the product over the original design it seems even the newer price is justified and the pre-order was an outright steal!

Thanks again for the update. I think we all need to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Tom

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Jeff,

If you have a 1.77 screen, the black borders will mask the barrel distortion only with 1.77 material.

Did you try some 1.85 or 2.39 viewing? And if yes, how bad was this distortion? That's my main concern with the Panamorph.

------------------

Robert

[This message has been edited by robena (edited 05-10-2001).]

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris,

The image seemed to [email protected] 4" I would guess and the PJ lens distance is 22ft. away from screen.

Halcyon,

Yes, 11ft. WIDE. Not Diagonal. No pixels with XGA resolution.

Robert,

You are correct. I may have zoomed out a bit far because 1.85:1 material was seemed to be touching all borders if memory serves (spilling over the sides a bit). I never noticed even a hint of distortion with 2.35:1 material. I had forgotten to look for it, so if it was there, it certainly did not jump out at me.

Another note:

In my original post I stated the sticker said "Fragile". It does not, it says "Handle with care. GLASS. Thank you". Shawn did tell me the lens was quite durable. Fragile may be misleading.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
This is great news, thanks for posting.

I am AMAZED you are running a 11 foot screen off of a plus up1100 (same projector I have) and if you are happy with the contrast with it and the panny then I should be thrilled with mine as I'm running "only" about 8 feet wide (16:9).

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lemke:
The image seemed to [email protected] 4" I would guess and the PJ lens distance is 22ft. away from screen.
Jeff:

That's very different from what the lens calculator on the Cygnus site would have predicted. That said that the drop should be .048 times the throw distance. So, you should have seen a drop of 12.7 inches (22*12*.048).

While I guess that's kind of good news (less drop than predicted), it would bother me if the lens calculator was that far off. What else might be off?

Are you sure you didn't do anything to decrease the drop? You said you "made a quick height adjustment". What was that?

- Dave

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
News Flash! Man in red viper disappears from Walled Lake, Michigan area. Last seen jumping into car with a box labeled "Panamorph" and two tickets for Panama.

Drool. Green. Pant.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
760 Posts
This Home Theater hobby is wonderful, isn't it? I never thought I'd see the words "sharpness" and "film like" in the same sentence. They do appear to be mutually exclusive, at least from my understanding of what liquidity of picture is.

But hey, I am just happy to see that this thing is inching in to our doors by the day. Godot is alive and well! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Thanks Jeff, you lucky dog! hehe...

Luca

------------------

PICTURES OF MY THEATER
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1659592&a=12715694&f=0

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Jeff

Great review. I expect to be impressed by the Panamorph on my Dwin as much as you obviously are.

One thing I failed to see you mention is what type of screen material are you using ?

While looking close at the picture how did the edges of objects compare in sharpness both with and without the Panny ?

Did you look at Avia/VE resolution and test signals for obvious signs of softness or smudging ?

I am very excited about this product as it hold the key to me getting 100% from my new Dwin Transvision.

DavidW

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Shawn. This a very important issue for a lot of us.

Chris

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Luca:

Well (assuming you have a D-ILA, of course), you could use Dilard only to position images that are higher than 16:9 aspect ratio (2.35:1, for example). Remember that the Panamorph turns your projector into a 16:9 projector. So, just as you can't reposition a 4:3 image in a non-Panamorphed projector (if you want to use the full panel resolution), you can't reposition a 16:9 image in the Panamorphed projector. Furthermore, if the shift is greater than the height of the black bars when you're viewing 2.35:1, you're also out of luck.

A slight shift of the projector and/or the lens should be enough to locate the image where you want, but for those of us designing our screens/hushboxes/mounting systems around the lens, it would be nice to make an attempt at least to get things to line up, before we get the lens. That's why the interest in the accuracy of the .048 number.

- Dave

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.