AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with the digital signal. It was giving me problems locking in yesterday, and today it's been out all day. Is it just me?

George

·
Registered
281 Posts
Assuming you mean 4/13/03 (since 11/13 is 7 mos away), I can only say that I am getting KABC digital with no problem (although the signal strength is only rated at 58).

·
Registered
263 Posts
KABC-DT always has the worst signal strength for me as well, and I'm 7 miles away from Mt Wilson using a Hipix with an Indoor Radio Shack Double-Bowtie antenna, and get around a 55 signal strength on it. All other channels tune in fine, with KCBS always having the highest strength. I didn't try tunning it in yesterday, I'll try tonight and see if I have any trouble.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have finaly got KABC-DT to work at home :D It's not very strong but I do get a lock on it. I was watching Dr Dolittle last night w/o any problems, between CSI of course.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's strange I still cannot get it to work, although I've been watching KABC since last summer with my Samsung SIRT 150. I have no clue what

could be the prob as all my other channels come in great.

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to keep trying...maybe it's the weather...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Yesterday, trying to watch the Laker game, my Samsung 160 would lock up whenever I tried to tune to 7-1 (KABC). It would refuse to tune in any station after that (both audio and video) until I unplugged it for about 15 seconds, and then powered it back on. Previously, I had no problems with any of the digital stations.

I'm having the same problem tonight (4/14). I usually have pretty strong signal strength on all the digital channels. In fact, even though my tuner is currently not showing any video on any channel; the signal strength for 2-1 is 93%.

·
Registered
263 Posts
KABC-7 works fine for me tonight using my Hipix HTPC, though it has ocassional dropouts as usual due to them not running at full power. Please complain about the fact that they're running at 38% of the power of KCBS-DT 2-1, just to save on their electric bill at http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/aboutus/stationinfo.html .

KCBS-DT runs at 469kW and KABC-DT runs at 182kW. They should be embarrased about this especially since Spanish stations like KMEX-DT which don't carry ANY HDTV programming run at 400kW. It would have been great to watch the Academy Awards without horrible dropouts. See http://www.tvradioworld.com/region1/...tion.asp?m=los for more information.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey mark_la, what kind of antenna are u using. I live in arcadia which is kinda close to pasadena and cant get abc from mt wilson.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm using a Radio Shack Double Bowtie indoor antenna, along with a Holland Electronics 25 Db "satellite" powered amplifier. The RS antennas are discontinued but you can find a similar double bowtie indoor antenna from Channel Master. They're ugly and old-fashioned looking, but work great if you're limited to an indoor antenna. I have mine hidden in a closet along with the amp, and run Radio Shack Quad-shielded RG6 cable to the Hipix. I'm unable to get any channels without the amp from this closet location. I don't know how the amp rates compared to others, I just tried it because I had it lying around from an old satellite dish installation I used to have, and it worked. This Radio Shack bidirectional amp http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1171 has gotten good reviews from other users for HDTV reception, and I'll be giving it a try along with a Channel Master amp one in order to eliminate the ocassional dropouts I get from KABC-DT.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
KABC-DT has been out for me all day. It's still out.

Fortunately I'd decided to record non-HDTV "The Bachelor" on SD D-VHS tonight because it really looks crappy on DTV, unlike non-HDTV "Survivor" which looks fabulous on CBS-DT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.