AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the summer I went up onto my roof and installed a R Shack UHF onl Ant with a 8ft mount and I still could only get cbs from the ESB at around 55. Problem was , my sig would be 55...then 40...21...0...55....32....and so on. I live in SI, NY and from my house in the direction of the ESB there is a HUGE tree. I gave up during the summer and decided to wait for TWC to offer their HD package which I had installed last Sat. I watched ABC and NBC's HD programming for the first time tonight and I loved it. Since TWC has yet to turn on CBS ....I tried again with a Radio shack B Tie ANt. Andsince that big tree has no leaves now, I get a sig of around 60-65 without dropouts. Long live hd!!!! Getting Ready for the Super Bowl!!!

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I had the same experience with leaves. I got better reception at ground level, where I could aim around the leaves, than from my rooftop antenna. Now that the leaves have dropped, the rooftop reception is perfect.

I also got the huge swings in signal strength that you described. There didn't need to be a strong breeze to cause this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Same with my reception for CBS, Fox, and UPN from ESB. Have a 13' mast height currently. Will try extending the telescopic mast to 40' when it gets warmer. 20' didn't work well during last summer with the leaves.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Remember, guys, when the leaves return so will the drop in signal strength. Remember, if at all possible, the antenna head must 'see' the transmitter..even branches can make a little difference. I realize each situation is unique but try to solve that 'clean line of sight'..summer and winter. Each obstruction in the way of the signal will subtract a little from end result arriving at antenna and, finally, at your tv set

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.