AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on something I may be doing wrong. Running the Zenith HD DTV1080 Sat Receiver thru my system. I get everything I'm subscribed for including the HD channels but no locals. Locals are available in my area and i actually get the banner of the local station when i attempt tuning into it but no pic. Tried unplugging and resetting receiver, but did not work. Received a new card from DTV and did not work. Tried scanning new channel list and that didn't work. Message received at bottom of screen is "Channel Is Not Available". Signal strength is strong on all 3 SAT's. SAT A is 95-98 on all transponders, SAT B89-98 and SATC is 95-99. Do I have a bad receiver? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes there is an antenna coax in plug although it dosen't need to be used because local channels are available through Direct TV in my area. I have the sat coax wire going into the SAT in in the back of the receiver.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Only 480i standard definition locals are available from DirecTV. To view any HDTV (720p, 1080i) you'll need an antenna of some kind.

- Trip

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just found out that about 1 year ago they had a software update installed in this receiver. It is version 2.11 Anyone know of any sites that may have firmware updates that can be downloaded? Hoping this is problem. Your help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Are you saying you cannot see the local channels DirecTV offers on satellite, which will NOT be HiDef anyway, or are you trying to get local off air HiDef channels which, as Trip pointed out, you would have to have an antenna plugged into your receiver for those. I have the Zenith 1080 receiver, and you can use either the antenna or cable input for local HD, but something has to be plugged in to provide the signal, and you have to tell the receiver in setup which you want to use for digital. The latest software update you referred to can only be done by sending your receiver to Zenith, you can't just download it somewhere yourself, plus that should not be necessary for what you are trying to do. If you give your general location, that might help someone trying to help you.

Again, at this time, DirecTV does not have HiDef networks available, only standard analog. So if you are only trying to get the standard local channels from DirecTV you may be confusing us by posting in the HDTV forum. Hope this helps.

Sid

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frankie711
yes there is an antenna coax in plug although it dosen't need to be used because local channels are available through Direct TV in my area.
You can not get local HD stations via DirecTV. You need to connect an antenna to the "ANT-IN" coax connector on the back of the box, and do a scan for local OverTheAir digital stations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.