AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I will definately try this over the weekend. in the meantime, does anyone have any feedback on the 5060 that Amazon.com is selling for $180 after rebate? I'm still gonna have to get a router to make this work i think, unless I want to manually plug my freesco PC directly to the cable modem once or twice a week. my NIC card is a PC-CARD, so I guess I'll have to find drivers for it from 3Com.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djseto
in the meantime, does anyone have any feedback on the 5060 that Amazon.com is selling for $180 after rebate?
I just ordered mine today. Finally took the plunge and added a 2nd Replay to my home. The fiance isn't going to be happy about the purchase,(I didn't clear it with her first) but she'll like it. She likes the 3070 we have now, so putting one in our bedroom should be okay.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've never used FREESCO (I use Slackware as my Linux distro), but I did initially (accidentially) try using a winmodem to get my linux dial-in server setup. After a day or so of frustration, I happened to see something on the box that made me realize it was a winmodem (can't remember what it was, but I should have seen it when I was at the store, especially since I had 2+ years of tech support experience in college and knew exactly what to look for.) I took it back, bought a regular modem, and within 5 minutes everything was up and running. May be worth it to just go buy a non-winmodem and save the headache. I haven't had any major problems with my dial-in server whatsoever, and only a couple of missed calls in ~10 months of operation. And int he past 2.5+ months since I moved to my new condo, it hasn't missed a call once. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Ok,

In looking into the problem I mentioned earlier, I have devised a better way to do all this. Attached is a .zip file containing updated instructions that should make the process a little easier.

I recommend using this method over my previous one, though both should work. For users without phone line simulators, this one allows much more flexibility in limiting the times during which your FREESCO modem repeatedly tries to answer an incoming ReplayTV modem connection.

freesco replaytv.zip 5.9873046875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, I got my setup going with RedHat 7.0 and the winmodem and all. It was a breezesetting up the winmodem... one RPM install and that was it. Actually, all of those messages still show up, and it works. (Who knows what they were, but they were from mgetty.)

Since I don't have a phone line simulator, I actually am not using mgetty anyway, I am using the pppscript and ppp-go files from the "long distance fix" thread on page 10.

It works great. Now I just have to setup a cron file to only run from 2-3 am and install ntp so that the clock stays correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi j.m.

Thanks for your help in setting up FREESCO! I couldn't get it to work with my 56k external modem, but when I popped in my old 14.4k internal modem it worked on the first try. I was wondering, is there any way to automatically login as root, or some equivalent method, that would allow me to just put in the floppy disk and boot, without typing in any keystrokes? I'm curious because I don't have a monitor for this FREESCO box.

Roger

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well.... I'm definitely getting stumped here... I've tried 2 different things here:

1) FreeSCO disk

I'm running FreeSCO in VMWare on Windows XP...I created a .flp image of the freesco disk once I set it up the way described in the readme so that I could boot it in VMWare... So far so good... I went through all the configuration steps and have got the modem to answer and establish a connection from another Windows box using DUN... However, the client can not pass any traffic onto my LAN. From the prompt on Freesco, I can ping anything I want and get DNS, etc. but just nothing is being 'bridged' from the dial-in user. When I make requests for DNS from the remote PC, the requests are reaching the freesco box because I'm using DNS caching on it and from the DNS debugs, I can tell the request goes to it..... I just don't get anything back... Traffic seems to pass bi-directionally when I ping or do DNS lookups... it just doesn't seem to be usable information on the client PC...

Anyone have ideas on why it's not passing traffic all the way through.

2) Redhat 9.0

Granted, I'm a newbie to redhat, but I've been reading and reading about pppd, mgetty, etc. and just can't seem to get it right. I've setup mgetty to answer the phone, but for some reason autoPPP doesn't seem to be working right. In my login.conf file, I've got the line:

/AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options

In my options file, I have the:

/dev/modem

persist

holdoff 0

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/answer"

noauth

crtscts

lock

192.168.0.20:192.168.0.21

proxyarp

debug

and in my answer file, I've got:

ABORT 'NO CARRIER'

ABORT ERROR

TIMEOUT 3600

RING ATA

TIMEOUT 60

CONNECT

These are directly from the other thread. However, based on the mgetty logs, it dies right after:

calling login: cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', argv[]='pppd file /etc/ppp/options'

the modem just hangs up...

I'm assuming I'm just missing something easy here, but I'm thoroughly lost now... I feel I've done good to understand linux this well, but any help would be appreciated.

Please feel free to help on either method... I'm not tied to any particular way of doing it.... I just want it to work...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djseto
so the short answer is that NO, my ReplayTV 2000 will NOT work with the fix above that is for ReplayTV 3xxx?
I have tried to set this up using freesco without a line simulator. I can set up the floppy and get up to the part 11 of the readme for version 1.0 I leave 611 and 612 and just enter. I am using a pci network card and just put an x and move on. What does number 13 of the readme mean? How should the screen look? I do not know how to tell if my card is recognized or not? I have a Linksys network setup with a cable modem. Please help me out.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.