AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to reg in the Immersive forum but I think I was to late in the weekend. So please humor me. My system... Pent 3 866, Soyo Mobo with Intel chipset. WinXP Pro 512 Ram. ATI 64 MB Radeon VIVO. Powerstrip 3.0 and everything else is pretty basic. When I try to hook this to my Mitsubishi 55869 I get no picture. On the monitor I see it fine then when I swap cables with my BetterCable RGBHV breakout no picture. I was under the assumption that the Holo3d card software modifies the powerstip settings for me. So I shouldnt have to mess with that. Is this true? If anyone has a simular setup with Mitsubishi please give me a few pointers thanks, Guinn.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Hi Guinn:

Starting with the most obvious, have you switched inputs on your Mitsubishi consistent with the output of your HTPC?

I don't have a Holo3D, but I do have a first generation Mitsubishi HDTV and an XCapture card. When I scale to 480p I select a standard input on the HDTV. When I scale to 540p I select the HD port on the HDTV.

My first generation Mits may be different than yours, but the above instructions are counter-intuitive because even though both scaled progressive inputs (480p or 540p) are connected to the HD RGBHV input on the HDTV, I must still select the non-HD input when viewing 480p signals.

Maybe your HDTV functions the same way.

Larry

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Guinn,

What resolution are you runing your desktop at? It should be a 540p timing if it's going to work with your TV. I don't know anything about the Holo3d software, so I can't help you there. But several of the pre-defined custom resolutions in Powerstrip should be compatible with your display, so you might want to try that.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Holo3D simply tells powerstrip the desired resolution. You TV has to support the resolution you are trying to run.

Vern

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. as you pointed out it was the lack of custom res in powerstrip that prevented the display. After trying a few I found one that Mits likes. A few more questions. Why is it when I try different resolutions the colors seem to fade?

LarryChanin...Can you eloborate on how you are changing the inputs? I cannot use the RGBHV for all resoltions? How do you change from Component to RGBHV to RGB.

When I preview the output on a monitor the picture is very good to excellent but when I route it to the RPTV it gets blurry again (no imprvement over SVHS) Last but not least, I have tried all different settings under the Cliff notes and its bugging me there I cant seem to find the Sweet Spot. Of all the timings I tried only the 540p works and it upconverts to 1080i I want 480p. Would anyone please post some working rezes for a ATI Radeon VIVO to a 55" Mits RPTV 55869. For every hour I save (and sanity) this is also risking my future HTPV endevors with my wife, I'll donate a $100.00 to the Elf Foundation for your efforts, serously. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Guinn:

LarryChanin...Can you eloborate on how you are changing the inputs? I cannot use the RGBHV for all resoltions? How do you change from Component to RGBHV to RGB.

When I preview the output on a monitor the picture is very good to excellent but when I route it to the RPTV it gets blurry again (no imprvement over SVHS) Last but not least, I have tried all different settings under the Cliff notes and its bugging me there I cant seem to find the Sweet Spot. Of all the timings I tried only the 540p works and it upconverts to 1080i I want 480p.
I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I'll take a stab at trying to answer your questions. On my Mitsubishi my remote control (as well as the controls on the front of the TV) selects the inputs. Input #1 through Input #4, and Inputs A & B (antenna inputs) are all standard resolution inputs (480). I believe that Input number 3 is the component input (which on my set is 480, not HD). You would select the component input on your TV only if you had a component source, such as a standard DVD player, directly connected to the TV. However, in this application the intent is to use your capture card to do the deinterlacing, so the DVD player would not be connected directly to the TV.

You should see the RGBHV HD port following after the antenna Input B as you cycle through the available inputs using your remote. It is for 1080i/540p signals. I don't believe that your HDTV upconverts 540p signals to 1080i. From an electronic standpoint the timings of 540p and 1080i are so close that the HDTV can't tell the difference. In other words it will sync on either.

Unlike your MULTI-SYNC monitor which automatically syncs on a whole range of timings, your HDTV only has two basic timing/resolutions that it will sync on, 480p or 540p/1080i. That is why it may look good on your monitor and not so good on your tv especially if your timings are in the need of tweaking. If the timings are off the picture may look darker or the colors can look off. An other reason for the difference in quality is that your monitor's native resolution is probably 768p whereas your HDTV can only get to 540p.

Again, if your TV works like my TV you will have to switch to say Input 1 or Input 2 in order for your TV to see the 480 signal. As I said this is counter-intuitive. Both the deinterlaced 480p signal and the 540p signal is connected via the RGBHV physical HD connector, but you must select one of the standard inputs to see the 480p signal . I know this sounds nuts, but this is the way my first generation Mits works. Probably your set works in a similar manner.

As I understand it the Holo3D has both S-video inputs and component inputs. So you can connect both the component out of a standard DVD player and the s-video out of a satellite receiver to it. In both cases the video is routed through the Holo3D to your graphics card and out through its VGA out. You then use a VGA to RGBHV breakout cable to connect it to your HDTV. No other video connections to your HDTV are required. If Powerstrip is running a 540p resolution, select the HD input on your HDTV, if Powerstrip is running a 480p resolution, select a standard input. You probably don't have to select the component on your TV even when you are using the component in of the Holo3D card. Any standard input should work, I use Input 1 or 2.

If your TV is like mine with only one HD input, you will need a video switcher to be able to connect more than one VGA/RGBHV source to your HDTV without manually switching cables. In my case I've used a high bandwidth VGA autoswitcher to connect both the video output from my HTPC and HD satellite receiver to the HD port.

I hope this helps a little. Perhaps some of the experts out there can elaborate.

Larry

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks Larry, I will try the changing of inputs to see if I can pick up the 480p. Thats pretty goofey of Mits. I now might need non-existant discrete Ir codes. I will try and try some more.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Hi Guinn:

It may be difficult for you to track them down, but I know for a fact that discrete IR codes for Mit's Inputs do exist. I programmed them on my Pronto remote.

The best forum for discussing Mitsubishi HDTV's is the Mitsubishi forum at the Home Theater Spot

Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.