AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read for about a month, just about every night on budget subwoofers haha...anyways I have a 16 by 16 by 8 room...mostly all movie watching...275 dollar limit...and from amazon (amazon credit) subwoofer...I have boiled it down to polk505...nxg bas 500...bic f12...acoustich h100...or jbles250 I believe it was...any input?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppsho  /t/1521779/no-matter-how-much-i-read#post_24460610


I have read for about a month, just about every night on budget subwoofers haha...anyways I have a 16 by 16 by 8 room...mostly all movie watching...275 dollar limit...and from amazon (amazon credit) subwoofer...I have boiled it down to polk505...nxg bas 500...bic f12...acoustich h100...or jbles250 I believe it was...any input?

Been there, done that.


After you've had your "budget" sub-woofer for a few months, you will rapidly come to the conclusion that the USD275 spent was a waste of money.


Therefore, my recommendation is to continue to save and purchase a quality sub-woofer that will add something of value to any future purchases you might make. I would set my sights on the Rythmik LV12R. It's double your budget. but it will offer more long-term satisfaction than any cheap sub-woofer could hope to provide.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,641 Posts
I would watch for the BIC PL-200 to drop into your price range. As it stands right now it's at $330. However I've seen it drop down to around your $275 price point before, I would just watch it and be ready to grab it as soon as it hits a good price for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07  /t/1521779/no-matter-how-much-i-read#post_24463030


I would watch for the BIC PL-200 to drop into your price range. As it stands right now it's at $330. However I've seen it drop down to around your $275 price point before, I would just watch it and be ready to grab it as soon as it hits a good price for you.
This retailer have been known to accept $280 Best Offers
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1555&sc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppsho  /t/1521779/no-matter-how-much-i-read#post_24460610


I have read for about a month, just about every night on budget subwoofers haha...anyways I have a 16 by 16 by 8 room...mostly all movie watching...275 dollar limit...and from amazon (amazon credit) subwoofer...I have boiled it down to polk505...nxg bas 500...bic f12...acoustich h100...or jbles250 I believe it was...any input?
 



Do you have a subwoofer now??? Have you had one in the past if so which one? I ask so we know what you are expecting from a sub. Your room is fairly small so you may benefit from a sealed sub. I know this would be way out of your price range but 2 subs would probably be best.


Also you have pretty much the worst dimensions for a room as far as bass is conserned, but you can still achieve good bass. Make sure your listening position is NOT in the middle of the room front to back also make sure you are NOT sitting up against the back wall (give yourself a minimum of 1' behind your couch to the wall (I'd probably sit about 11 to 13 feet back)).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I have come from a cerwinvega lw15 to a nice acoustic research with a bob carver amp 12 inch down firing I forget the model...to...and the suspense builds...the energy take classic set with its wonderful 8 inch woofer haha...I had sold my old theater setup and purchased the take classics when I went off to college...now it's time to get rid of that box set and back to the real world of home theater. There is a guy locally selling a used pb1000 for 400 that's on the threads here but he lives 2.5 hours away and I haven't had the time to go check it out. Then I got this amazon credit for returning some school books so I figured I'd use it there. But maybe I will put that towards some new mains and then take some tax return money and pick up the pb if he still has it or just bite the bullet on a new one....I know that it's my best option to just buy something nice to start off...I am just in a rush to have some real sound again....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and the room may be a hair larger that was just an estimate late last night pondering this ongoing dilemma haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1521779/no-matter-how-much-i-read#post_24463148


Save your money until you can buy a SVS PB-1000, HSU VTF-2 MK4, or a Rythmik LV12R.

These would be my choice. Save until you can afford one. There is a good increase in quality going with one of these subs. You will appreciate the sound once you get one
 

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
Joined
·
8,674 Posts

Also, keep an eye on the outlet sections at SVS and Outlaw.  If you had the money now for example, you could snag the equivalent of the $630 HSU VTF2.4 from Outlaw for $499(LFM Plus).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts

I can confirm: Buying a budget sub like a BIC F12 (got mine a couple weeks ago, from Amazon) will only leave you wanting more (I'm already wishing I'd saved that ~$200 so I could put it towards a more expensive sub...like $500 minimum but really more like $800). Slippery slope I know, there's always "for just -this- much more you can get that one", but apparently at about $500 (and then once more around $800) there is a very large jump in the quality/performance of subs. 

 

I mean, nothing against the F12, it is the best sub I have ever personally owned (had a Polk PSW10 the past 5 years) but it's still a budget unit, not a miracle worker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now all I need is some people to use their year upgrades so I can save a little bit and get an outlet/bstock unit haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1521779/no-matter-how-much-i-read#post_24463131


Make sure your listening position is NOT in the middle of the room front to back

What's wrong with sitting in the middle of the room?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,495 Posts
A dead center MLP is almost always in a very bad null. For sub placement and MLP positioning its usually best to stick with 1/3 to 1/5 increments of the room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain-  /t/1521779/no-matter-how-much-i-read#post_24463018



Been there, done that.


After you've had your "budget" sub-woofer for a few months, you will rapidly come to the conclusion that the USD275 spent was a waste of money.


Therefore, my recommendation is to continue to save and purchase a quality sub-woofer that will add something of value to any future purchases you might make. 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1521779/no-matter-how-much-i-read#post_24463148


Save your money until you can buy a SVS PB-1000, HSU VTF-2 MK4, or a Rythmik LV12R. If that is not a option then buy a Dayton Sub 1500.
I agree with these posts. IMO it's a much better use of money to wait and save, if you can get to the point of a $500 budget the rewards would be well worth it. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1521779/no-matter-how-much-i-read#post_24472195


A dead center MLP is almost always in a very bad null. For sub placement and MLP positioning its usually best to stick with 1/3 to 1/5 increments of the room.

Why is it almost always in a very bad null?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1521779/no-matter-how-much-i-read#post_24473589


Rather than me try to explain it and screw it up I'll let you read. And who knows maybe im just not understanding correctly. So heres a good read on standing waves room modes and nulls.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=48286

I don't think you understand it correctly.


There's nothing special about the middle of the room with regards to room nulls. What happens is people publish papers explaining room nulls and provide a simple example whereby they pick a frequency that happens to correspond to a wavelength that fits evenly with a room dimension and then demonstrate how a room null forms in the middle of the room at that one frequency. People conclude that the middle of the room is bad because they don't fully understand what they're reading.. In reality, every room has nulls at different locations at varying frequencies. If you have a single sub, it's almost impossible to not have nulls at different frequencies all over the room. That's why it's recommended to use multiple subs in a room.


Think about it. If the middle of the room always had a null, then if you placed a subwoofer in the middle of the room and did a sub crawl, you wouldn't be able to hear it anywhere in the room. Does that make sense?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top