AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a single HTPC with a direct-view monitor and a projector. Yesterday, I added a Kramer 2x1 VGA switch to simplify this. However, I now find that plug and play does not work for either monitor, even though I completely shut the system down before I switch displays. This isn't a huge deal-- everything still works and I don't have to deal with error messages or anything-- but I no longer have little things like the video drivers automatically recognizing the display resolution and timing capabilities, or some of the nice plug and play features of my direct-view monitor.

So, is this something I just have to live with? I don't know why the switch would make a difference as long as it's passing all of the data.

Help!

Thanks,

Matthew

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ack! I guess I should have done more research before I ordered the switch, but I didn't expect this to be a problem, so I was focusing more on the display quality capability of the switch. So I need to look for a switch that supports DDC? Anyone know of something similar to this Kramer switch that has that additional support? (Also, does anyone know how MarkerTek is for returns/exchanges for this type of thing?)

Thanks,

Matthew

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Consider it a blessing that it doesn't pass the plug and play info. It causes me nothing but trouble. I prefer to tell the computer what type of monitor I'm using rather than vice-versa. In fact I often disable the auto detect plug and play option. I wouldn't worry about.

Jay

·
Registered
645 Posts
Actually I agree with Jay. I need DDC for work, but for personal use I'd do like him by using BNC cables.

The Kramer claims a bandwidth of up to 320MHz which is nice and considerably higher than the usual junk switch boxes...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. I guess I'm going to stick with the Kramer switch, since I can't find anything similar in price and quality that supports DDC (pin #12, I think?). I don't mind losing the plug and play recognition of resolution, etc, but I do miss one thing that my direct-view monitor provided via plug and play: it has both text and video modes, and my A/V software would automatically switch it to video mode when I switched to full-screen view, and back to text mode when I switched to windowed view. Now, I have to actually get up and press a button on the monitor-- a couch potato's nightmare. ;)

So why is it that the switch wouldn't just pass through the data for all 15 pins, anyway?

--Matthew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.