AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

While attempting to watch Blowfish on DVD (it contains both DTS and AC-3 soundtracks) last night I failed to hear any sound from my system when selecting the DTS soundtrack.

A second retry failed to produce positive results: still no sound. (My DC-1's display shwowed that a DTS signal was being sensed and was so displayed)

Then selected the AC-3 soundtrack and it played fine.

Mifted about this new negative event, I then tried another two DVD discs which contain DTS soundtracks. Still no sound! (AC-3 soundtracks played fine, though).

I had listened to DTS soundtracks a few nights ago and the system played just fine.

Set up: HT-PC equipped with 3D Fusion/Mpact2 DIVA board (DTS capable) for DVD playback; Lexicon DC-1 V. 2.0 (got the Version 4.0 updates, which will be done shortly).

Scenario: DC-1 exhibits a DTS signal as picked up; it's being shown on the LCD display.

A DTS signal MUST being sent by the DIVA board or how else the DC-1 senses and displays it?

Question: which component's DTS chip has failed (if it indeed is a failure)--the Lexicon's or the DIVA's? (I tend to suspect the DC-1).

I'll greatly appreciate any input you people might want to provide...

· Registered
3,364 Posts
Don't know about your equipment, but I've run in to similar problems with two different DVD players, and the problem in both cases involved initial "set-up" IN THE DVD PLAYER ITSELF. There may be internal menus dictating whether DTS is "on" or "off" within the DVD unit, although I have no explanation for why your processor would indicate that it detects a signal if your internal menu had DTS "off."

This was true on both a Panasonic DVDA310, and a Sony DVP-850X. Check to see if your equipment has comparable menus to set up the audio.

· Registered
22,565 Posts
Another check: DTS CDs have the DTS encoded on the PCM tracks and will play on a regular non-DTS DVD player (if it plays CDs) or CD player. Play a DTS CD and if it works, then the Lexicon surround decoder is working fine and is not the problem. Same thing re LD, you can play a DTS LD (LD players only need a toslink or coaxial digital out and do not otherwise have to be DTS ready) and if it works, the problem isn't the processor.

Other ideas:

Do what Nicholas states above in the DVD player menu, be sure to turn on the DTS sound.

Also, DTS DVDs often do not default to DTS. You need to go into the Menu of the DVD and enable DTS sound.

[This message has been edited by Steve Bruzonsky (edited January 22, 2000).]

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nicholas, Steve,

Thanks for the help!

First off, the movie I watched is BOWFINGER and not Blowfish (man was I upset by the development!). This DVD's menu allows one to select either DD AC-3 and/or DTS soundtrack playback; I first chose the DTS withe subsequent findings...

I need to check the DC-1 first. This will be done by using my older standby Sony DVP-S7000 DVD player, which is on loan (it can play DTS CDs but NO DVDs--go figure). If this works then I know the DC-1 is OK (good for me as this one is more costly--but have upgrade chips for the oncoming 4.0 Version which also allow for Dolby EX playback).

I suspect the DVD-equipped computer set up to the one with the DTS failure.

My HT-PC-DVD equipped can play DTS DVDs but no DTS CDs (nor PCM with the utilized DVD-ROM drive; it doesn't allow the bitstream to output).

Anyway, I usually don't get so mifted at something like this occurring in my system but it took me for a loop. Thus the request for help...

-THTS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.