AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in West Hernando connected to Bright House cable up until this week, "free HD" channels on QAM tuners in DVRs in use from between 5 months and 3-4 years were producing expected recordings and expected HDMI and legacy/RCA video outputs from HD channels airing 16:9 programs. Not any more.

Now, WEDU, WFLA, WTSP, WTVT, WUSF, WFTS, WMOR, WTTA, WTOG & WXPX HD channels always display double-boxed pictures both narrower and shorter than the same programs on Bright House's home-brewed digital SD sister channels. TV and DVR aspect ratio options are unable to produce fullscreen 16:9 output from any 720 or 1080 sources tuned with DVR QAM tuners. The QAM tuners in TVs continue to behave as expected on the same channels tuned directly.

Connected HDTVs were made by Sylvania and Vizio. Recorders tested were LG DR787T, Magnavox H2160MW9 A, & Magnavox MDR515H/F17. After I discovered this I performed full resets on the Magnavoxes at least once each and rescanned channels multiple times each. On the LGs I only did rescans several times. Testing was done on separate BHN subscriptions approximately one mile from each other by wire.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/20901662

Sounds like your DVR may now think you have a 4:3 aspect ratio TV instead of a 16:9 aspect ratio TV.

You mean 3 DVRs and 2 TVs all doing the same thing at the same time? I don't think so. When I checked Tuesday this had gone away, and remains gone today.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK all DVRs can record 2 Channels and concurently play a previoiuly recorded channel. Some PC users have reported having 3 DVR concurently recording 6 different programs while playing a 7th previouly recorded program.

It is also very important that you have your PVRs set up to send the correct resolution to your TV based on the aspect ratio of the TV and aspect ratio of the program being recorded.

With my Motorola PVR I have to tell it that I have a 16:9 aspect ratio TV and what resolution 1080i or 720p I want it to send 16:9 aspect ratio programs to the TV in. I also tell it what resolution to send 4:3 aspect ratio programs to the TV in and I use 480i

1 - 4 of 4 Posts