AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the information provided by Amazon for the 5504, I noticed that the new 5500's come with three years free service, then $12 a year after that.

:eek:

I guess that's the new way of maximizing profit up front and punishing people who do not replace their units after three years!:mad:

Lame.

Nobbie

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
eWW!

like DUH..

and yeah, it's obvious (at least by my antennas) that they are up fronting their profit

but, hey, what kinda idiot goes monthly anyway? does anyone really plan on having the thing for less then 2 years (24 months)..the break even point? at least if you sell after 2 years it has much higher resale value...least $100

cow

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the price for the 5504, which is the 40 hour model is $550 at Amazon with the first three years of service free. $12 a year after that. Who knows what you could sell it for in three years? It would be weird to get a bill after three years.

"What? Didn't I already pay for that?!?!?"

Silly.

Nobbie:confused:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
(Screamed in foresaken voice) ReplayTV, why do you make it so hard for me to love you?

I've been a believer ever since I got my Replay 2020 (which is still going strong). But with all of the caving to the studios, dragging your feet on HD and now THIS, it sure is hard to stay a believer.

-phil

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
but, hey, what kinda idiot goes monthly anyway? does anyone really plan on having the thing for less then 2 years (24 months)..the break even point? at least if you sell after 2 years it has much higher resale value...least $100
The kind of idiot that likes to save lots and lots of money. As previously discussed many many times, the "break even" point is not 2 years, it's around 5 months. A used 5k is dirt cheap. One with lifetime is about $200 more.

After 5 months, I'm putting 3 X $10 a month in my pocket for my 5ks plus 2 X $10 a month for two 3ks I bought more than 2 years ago.

·
Registered
366 Posts
How is the break even point 5 months?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Must be the "new math".

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Would that be rcrepaly? or another rc?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
It's not very hard to figure out.

What a thing costs is how much you pay minus how much you sell it for amortized over the time you have owned it.

Lifetime units sell day in day out on eBay for about $200 more than non-life. I get $200 of my $250 back when I sell, the cow alas is increasingly out of pocket.

I'ts a simple concept, but I guess all members of a given herd are not equal. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
It's not very hard to figure out.

What a thing costs is how much you pay minus how much you sell it for amortized over the time you have owned it.

Lifetime units sell day in day out on eBay for about $200 more than non-life. I get $200 of my $250 back when I sell, the cow alas is increasingly out of pocket.

I'ts a simple concept, but I guess all members of a given herd are not equal. :)
;) See Tony? When you write in a way that doesn't assume we can read your mind, you make perfect sense!:D

Nobbie

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
huh? is he saying paying monthly is better or paying lifetime is better?

I'm saying paying lifetime is better.

I think he's saying paying lifetime is better and it pays for itself after 5 months(which I wouldn't dispute)

If he is saying that then is he disagreeing with me?

I'm still lost, but almost not.

cow

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nobbie
Reading the information provided by Amazon for the 5504, I noticed that the new 5500's come with three years free service, then $12 a year after that.

:eek:

I guess that's the new way of maximizing profit up front and punishing people who do not replace their units after three years!:mad:

Lame.

Nobbie
boo-hoo! cry about it, mad baby. ueeeehhh! ueeeeeeh!

and it's not 3 years free service, but 3 years of included service because you are paying for the service up front.

plus, this makes it easier to understand than "lifetime", which causes lots of confusion for people associating it with their lifetime, not the machine's.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
O. K. Cow. I...will...use...small...words...for...you.

Tony is saying lifetime service is better. He figures ReplayTV units with lifetime service are worth about $200 more than identical units that do not come with lifetime service. Since lifetime service costs $250 up front, then he figures we end up paying $50 for lifetime service, because we would get $200 of that back when/if we sell the unit. At $10 a month for monthly, his calculation is that we break even after five months. Hence, after five months, we're "profiting" (saving) $10 every month. Make sense now? Of course, I have two Showstopper 2000's that I bought as display models several years ago for $125 and $150!! So, I must be filthy rich now! Where's my money!? Show me the money!!!

:D Nobbie:rolleyes:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayJanitor
boo-hoo! cry about it, mad baby. ueeeehhh! ueeeeeeh!

and it's not 3 years free service, but 3 years of included service because you are paying for the service up front.

plus, this makes it easier to understand than "lifetime", which causes lots of confusion for people associating it with their lifetime, not the machine's.
:rolleyes: Whatever, Dude. Feel better now?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nobbie
O. K. Cow. I...will...use...small...words...for...you.

Tony is saying lifetime service is better. He figures ReplayTV units with lifetime service are worth about $200 more than identical units that do not come with lifetime service. Since lifetime service costs $250 up front, then he figures we end up paying $50 for lifetime service, because we would get $200 of that back when/if we sell the unit. At $10 a month for monthly, his calculation is that we break even after five months. Hence, after five months, we're "profiting" (saving) $10 every month. Make sense now? Of course, I have two Showstopper 2000's that I bought as display models several years ago for $125 and $150!! So, I must be filthy rich now! Where's my money!? Show me the money!!!

:D Nobbie:rolleyes:

Yeah, but all this confusion was caused because adone36 didn't read my post correctly.

I never said go monthly.. he made it sound like i did, thus noone understood his angle until we figured out he was saying to buy lifetime too.

how do I get sucked into these things.

cow

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.