AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone received any (new) tubes from NEC within the last month? I just heard from a very reliable source today that NEC is no longer taking orders for replacement tubes, not even XG's. I'll bet this post get's a few hits.

Chip S.

·
Registered
567 Posts
*Quickly runs off to reduce contrast settings*

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Chip

I heard the same thing about 2 months ago. So now NEC owners will be in the same boat as everyone else and have to use rebuilds.

steve

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Hmmm,

I have a new XGLC Green CRT on eBay. Hope no one buys it.

NEC cut me off on purchasing CRT back in December. Lat buy and that was it. Said they were only selling to their "dealers"??

Terry

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh GOD! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't wanna VDC!!!! Not YET!!!

Marc

·
Registered
437 Posts
Time to start a new forum area....

DIY CRT rebuilding

Anybody ready to start a FAQ on rebuilding your own?

:D

(I guess we couldn't expect it to last forever, just hoped it would be long enough to get us to the next generation of projectors that get us at least where we're at with CRT's!)

Regards,

Ira

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Try Hammerhead Technology. I spoke with Darrel today and he said they bought the last of the NEC CRT parts - 20 pallets of them!!!

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Post those DIY tube rebuilds over in the DIY audio website and see who runs with it.

Spraying phosphor with a garden hose nozzle???..;)

Curt

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I might be able to get hold of some phosphor-grenades from my

time in the army. I think I have some under my bed. Maybe we

could 'put' it in the tubes?

Nicholas:)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Poindexter
Try Hammerhead Technology. I spoke with Darrel today and he said they bought the last of the NEC CRT parts - 20 pallets of them!!!
Ummmm....yea parts but not CRT's...

·
Registered
70 Posts
NEC is a fool, there is a big market out there for Tubes, Guess i have to sell my XG and get a Runco or Barco, at lease I think they still sell Crt pojector.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Rudeja,

If it is an XG-110LC, let me know. I am in the market for another one for a double stack.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Ok here goes,

The last year I have watched many of you 'con' the parts dept into thinking you were certified dealers when you needed something.

Ok fine...........

There is some of us that have to pay to get certified for the new products 4 times a year. If you get cut off its because you dont go or pay for that service.

That being said, Ill just shut up. Doug

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
hey doug,

long time no hear! how has things been for you. my xg852 is still working (knock on wood).

Jon S from Hawaii

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Doug,

I never had to "con" NEC or anyone else into selling me parts. I bought a lot from them and they said that when it came to remotes, CRT's and manuals they could sell those to anyone on what they called a "credit card order" That was their philosophy....not mine.

It wasn't until Dec. that they decided to change that sales philosophy, and then they still allowed a "one last buy".

But the real question here Doug is, are NEC discontinuing the sales of the CRT's for their CRT line?

Terry

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Jon S,

Thats good to hear. I would sure like to come back for a touch up. You two were way to cool for me and I had a good time over there, the hotel was premo and right off the pool. Im spoiled and it agrees with me, you sure got ugly females over there. : ) Doug

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Terry,

It just means if your not a certified warranty center or dealer it wasnt going to happen anytime soon.

I dont want to speculate on the politics but there are people out there that support the training and hands on of the product's and what that means.

You wouldnt know unless you have been there, I dig for information but it goes to the last thing talked about. The weird part is looking at the new products saying why?

I agree with finding the next technology thats solid and I have worked on that also in reference tables, it will get there Im sure but not now or next year.

You have to remember the CRT mfg's are thinking future, we are just a small group that appreciate good video at what we know it, there are alot of non CRT newbes that dont know or dont care what black is.

Is that all there is? To us yes but not to the designers that say Plasmas look cool and they do but not to the trained eye of HT, what is diag isnt what we are use to in 4:3 so they end up with a much smaller image then expected, I know and I cant trade them in.

Next is the on- off of a panel, we know its either on or off but the "on" is way to bright and the off is still to "still on"

We are spoiled 'over here' and so be it, we have a reference that we know.

What that reference is 'is the big mystery'

In semi large venue your not going to beat the 3 DLP for quality.

In HT your not going to beat the CRT any time soon in a screen under 8' to someone that knows where to put the front row of seats. Doug

To answer your question we can still get new tubes but its a 'waiting thing' and I dont really like it.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Doug,

From a mfg's point of view I can fully understand why they wouldn't want to continue to build and support CRT's. HT is a very small ortion of their business plan and I don't believe that HT FJ represents the numbers they are looking for. What drove the projection market is business applications and ProA/V, something that NEC has not really been successful in penetrating like say Barco.

From my point of view, for HT FP CRT 8" LC the NEC XG series is one of the best. Yup it's a real pain to set up correctly when compared to other brand. But the end result is well worth the effort as I am sure you agree.

It has been nice that NEC has offered replacement CRT's at what is a reasonable price. It's also good that VDC has been coming up to speed on the rebuilding of these replacement CRT's which will allow is for years to come to continue to suppot these machines.

Terry

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Guys:

I just re-tubed an XG-751. I received a red NEC CRT, but the Blue and Green were VDC.

I haven't seen ANY difference between the new NEC red and the VDC rebuilds in terms of spot size or focus.

Just make sure that you don't get stuck with an older VDC that was re-manufactured before they started using the MEC guns.

Vern

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.