AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called panasonic customer service about getting a new remote for my showstopper. The current one is getting harder and harder to make the buttons work. I asked about the new 4000 models. They told me panasonic is no longer making showstoppers and only replay branded units will be sold in the future. I asked about the press release and they said they may use the technology in the future inside other products but are not going to make standalone units anymore.

-Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told that to open my Showstopper HS2000 remote, I would need to use a putty knife (yes, a putty knife) but I'm to afraid of messing the controller up more than I have so I have been unsuccessful in getting it apart. There is 1 screw in the battery compartment that you can unscrew, but you still have some snap-on parts to un-snap. If any of you do get yours apart, I would shave off those snaps with a power tool of some kind and just use the screw.

My remote is like my old radio, if it gets hard to press a button it COULD be that the contacts are dirty, but in my radio's case, the rubber thingy that made contact with the circuitboard became weak and just fell apart leaving me with a small rubber donut looking thingy and a rubber donut hole thingy. Yes, I love to use the word thingy :) THINGY THINGY THINGY!!! WHEEEEEE :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, its just like new again, maybe even better. Man there are lots of catches, but not one of them snapped off.

I was still bummed to hear Panasonic will not be branding the new machines. Big name branding always helps sell electronics.

-Bill

PS. the crud clogging it up appeared to be from the little carbon contacts themselves. From the way this remote is made dirt from your hands will have a hard time getting near the contacts, the rubber buttons are all one piece without holes for the dirt to get to the bottom. Pretty ingenious, especially considering all the different colored buttons.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigbill
I called panasonic customer service about getting a new remote for my showstopper. They told me panasonic is no longer making showstoppers and only replay branded units will be sold in the future.....they said they may use the technology in the future inside other products but are not going to make standalone units anymore.
Glad the remote problems are solved but isn't this, if confirmed, big news about Panasonic Showstoppers. TiVo now appears to be the only mass market SA PVR brand licensed and generally available for sale. The 4000's, when available, will most likely never be mass market products in their current configurations, just niche products.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay

Glad the remote problems are solved but isn't this, if confirmed, big news about Panasonic Showstoppers. TiVo now appears to be the only mass market SA PVR brand licensed and generally available for sale. The 4000's, when available, will most likely never be mass market products in their current configurations, just niche products.

It certainly is big news, especially in light of ReplaySteve's statement back on 10/2/01.

Quote:
from ReplaySteve post 11
I want to make it clear to you all that Panasonic is STILL SHIPPING the Showstopper. So for people who don't have DSL or cable modem, they can still get a ReplayTV.
(boldface and underline mine)

Or perhaps Steve is mistaken?.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I was suprised since I had read ReplaySteve's message. But "Still shipping" and "Still manufacturing" are two different things. They could have 50k of them in a warehouse somewhere. Or maybe he means that Panasonic is making the Replay branded ones.. Doubtful though, there are much less expensive manufactures in the bay area, some of which OEM the Tivo's for a major manufacture.

-Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.