AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the rumors that have been floating around may be true. They are removing the 60G model, and leaving the other two. It is unlclear if the elite will move in to the Pro's price point, but more than likely the 'elite' is phasing out and the Pro getting the 120 G HDD. It makes no sense then to have the arcade 1/2 price of the next model up, so logical conclusion would be that the new Pro/elite will be getting a pice drop (perhaps same price as current Pro) and maybe the Arcade gets a token drop as well?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/08/xbo...t-pretty-soon/

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Makes sense.. 2 versions, 2 prices.

$199 Arcade

$299 Elite

Either way you dont have to spend over $300 which is traditionally the price point where consoles dont cross. And you make the choices easier for the customer.

·
Banned
3,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife /forum/post/16950010

I'd have to imagine the 120GB sku will be $299, anything more would be the dumbest move ever. Best thing about this is hopefully we start getting a flood of cheap "official" 120 GB hard drives.

yes. to coincide with the Official 1TB HDD rumors!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Man, I hope this causes a drop in the price of the 120GB drive. I have been out of space on my 20Gb for over a year and have been having to delete and re-download stuff as needed.

The El-cheapo in me just can not purchase a 120GB drive for $129.00. It is a matter of principal!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Get the HDD used off of ebay!!

HDD's arent something fail alot, so I'd feel pretty safe buying someone else's.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Losing the Pro makes lots of sense at this time. Where were they even getting 20GB hard drives? Microsoft was probably paying someone extra just to keep a line up that could make drives that small.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
With the inevitable PS3 price drop it does seem the right time to drop the Elite. No more room for the Pro!

·
Registered
4,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax /forum/post/16953796

Losing the Pro makes lots of sense at this time. Where were they even getting 20GB hard drives? Microsoft was probably paying someone extra just to keep a line up that could make drives that small.

Microsoft switched to 60 gigs for the pro last year.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If Sony drops the PS3 to $299, I think it's a given that MS is gonna drop the Elite SKU to $250. They seem to have eliminated the add-in HD cables and audio dongle from the new Elite SKU, so I think they're trying to reduce costs as much as possible to get down to the $250 mark.

None of the MS SKU's can compete with the PS3's feature set at the same price point, which MS well knows. As such, I think we'll see a $250 price point emerge for the Elite SKU shortly after Sony announces their price drop.

EDIT: Post 666 - creepy!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine /forum/post/16954048

If Sony drops the PS3 to $299, I think it's a given that MS is gonna drop the Elite SKU to $250. They seem to have eliminated the add-in HD cables and audio dongle from the new Elite SKU, so I think they're trying to reduce costs as much as possible to get down to the $250 mark.

None of the MS SKU's can compete with the PS3's feature set at the same price point, which MS well knows. As such, I think we'll see a $250 price point emerge for the Elite SKU shortly after Sony announces their price drop.

EDIT: Post 666 - creepy!

I halfway agree you.. halfway dont.

A) If they drop the audio dongle & HD cables on the Elite. There is a great chance they can get below the $299 price point. That said, profit is still the name of the game and $250 is just way too close to the $199 Arcade that comes with no harddrive.

I expect them to keep the included HDMI cable and sell the 'new' 120gig Elite for $279. (You figure the HDD which probably cost them $40 and the cable costs them $1 at a Manufacters wholesale level) Plus the $279 price point still gives them a $20 advantage over the PS3 (which is enough to say 'our most expensive console' is still cheaper than your least expensive option).

B) Nobody cares about the PS3 feature set. Those that were pressed to get a Bluray player & Gaming console have already purchased the PS3 in the last year, after it originally dropped to $399.

You now have 2 groups of people.. those want to take the BluRay plunge (and will more than likely buy the $99 BluRay player on sale at Walmart or Bestbuy) or those who really just want to get HD game console (they will either go for 360 or PS3 depending on how many games a particular console has that they want or just as important, how many of the friends have the same console).

I'm not saying a $299 PS3 isnt going to generate a big boost in sales. Of course it will.. its a 25% price cut. You cut the price on anything 25% and sales should jump according. Im just saying if both the Elite & PS3 priced at $299.. game library & friend's list is going to be more important than whats included in the box.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/16954333

I halfway agree you.. halfway dont.

A) If they drop the audio dongle & HD cables on the Elite. There is a great chance they can get below the $299 price point. That said, profit is still the name of the game and $250 is just way too close to the $199 Arcade that comes with no harddrive.

I expect we'll see the Arcade get a drop to $179.99 as well. Especially if it looks like Nintendo is going to drop the price of the Wii. And I don't think the price gap between the Arcade and the Pro/Elite is that important to them frankly. They obviously don't want to lose money (And I don't think they will), but the fact remains that MS still doesn't have a full featured console SKU below $250, after 4 years in the market. That's gotta change ASAP if they want to keep sales ticking along.

Quote:

I expect them to keep the included HDMI cable and sell the 'new' 120gig Elite for $279. (You figure the HDD which probably cost them $40 and the cable costs them $1 at a Manufacters wholesale level).

Based upon the released images of the new Elite box, the HDMI cable is gone, along with the other cables.

Quote:

B) Nobody cares about the PS3 feature set. Those that were pressed to get a Bluray player & Gaming console have already purchased the PS3 in the last year, after it originally dropped to $399.

I disagree with you strongly there. There are plenty of people who couldn't/wouldn't pay $399 for a game console. You put those consoles together at $299 however and people without a dog in the hunt (Meaning people without large groups of friends who own one platform over the other) will choose the option that offers more value. That's clearly the PS3.

Quote:

You now have 2 groups of people.. those want to take the BluRay plunge (and will more than likely buy the $99 BluRay player on sale at Walmart or Bestbuy) or those who really just want to get HD game console (they will either go for 360 or PS3 depending on how many games a particular console has that they want or just as important, how many of the friends have the same console).

I certainly agree that the PS3 has become less attractive as a Blu-Ray platform due to the proliferation of lower cost stand alone players. However, I still think people are going to jump at the chance to get a "free" Blu-Ray player in the PS3 if the Elite and PS3 SKU's retails for the same amount. A gap of $20 won't make a difference either. $50 would. Frankly, I think MS is going to go further and bundle games in just before the holidays as a way to further sweeten the deal.

The social aspects of the consoles (Meaning online play and achievements/trophies) are definitely playing a role in influencing sales as well. But there is a massive market of people out there who don't care about that and are looking to get the best value they can. Pitting the Elite against the PS3 for the same or less than $50 difference in price is not going to work in Microsoft's favor.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine /forum/post/16954668

There is a massive market of people out there who don't care about that and are looking to get the best value they can. Pitting the Elite against the PS3 for the same or less than $50 difference in price is not going to work in Microsoft's favor.
Best value in gaming: $199 arcade

Elite vs PS3: All about 360 with a big harddrive vs. PS3 with Bluray

A $279 Elite can absolutely hold its on against a $299 PS3. You have to remember in America the 360 has already outsold the PS3.. 2 to 1. I think you are strongly discounting the "But all of my friends have a 360" factor. And too strongly counting people interested in BR. I just dont see people or the 'buzz' among people excited much about Bluray.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

Quote:

I expect we'll see the Arcade get a drop to $179.99 as well. Especially if it looks like Nintendo is going to drop the price of the Wii. And I don't think the price gap between the Arcade and the Pro/Elite is that important to them frankly. They obviously don't want to lose money (And I don't think they will), but the fact remains that MS still doesn't have a full featured console SKU below $250, after 4 years in the market. That's gotta change ASAP if they want to keep sales ticking along.

Isn't MS the only one who's console sales are up versus this time last year?

Quote:

I disagree with you strongly there. There are plenty of people who couldn't/wouldn't pay $399 for a game console. You put those consoles together at $299 however and people without a dog in the hunt (Meaning people without large groups of friends who own one platform over the other) will choose the option that offers more value. That's clearly the PS3.

Both HD systems offer a truckload more "value" than the Wii. How's that working out for them? Maybe people base their purchasing decisions off of something more than a hardware checklist.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/16954905

Best value in gaming: $199 arcade

I was referring to the full featured/premium SKU's. I should have been clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/16954905

You have to remember in America the 360 has outsold the PS3.. 2 to 1.

And price was responsible for the vast majority of that sales difference. Had the 360 been the more expensive SKU, I assure you that the sales picture would be far different than how it looks today. Achievements and Xbox live only get you so far - not to mention that if the PS3 would have been cheaper, Xbox Live would have been less of a differentiator, as people would have simply got their online gaming kicks using the PSN.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife /forum/post/16954924

Isn't MS the only one who's console sales are up versus this time last year?

Yeah, but mainly because there was a status quo in the market, price wise. And people thought the 360 presented the best value, at the given price point. That's clearly going to change when the PS3 drops in price however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife /forum/post/16954924

Both HD systems offer a truckload more "value" than the Wii. How's that working out for them? Maybe people base their purchasing decisions off of something more than a hardware checklist.

Totally different situation. The Wii came out of left field and offered a completely different play experience to the other consoles. As a result, it made inroads into the casual market that no other console has been able to do before, mainly as a result of the unique software being offered for it.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 by comparison, are highly comparable in terms of software availability and functionality. Games look roughly the same when played on both. However, one of them offers a Blu-Ray drive and Wireless networking OOTB, while the other does not. If online play with your friends is not a concern and they are priced the same, consumers will pick the product with better functionality. That's all but guaranteed. I also guarantee that MS is fully aware of this and will price it accordingly. They've followed this strategy for the past few years and aren't likely to change now.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Slaine..

Im agreeing with you as much as Im disagreeing. And you are absolutely right about why the 360 has that much of sales lead in the US: The 1 year head start. The cheaper price. Xbox Live. Acheivements.

Those are all the things that helped the 360 jump on the PS3.

Problem now is word of mouth. I think 3 years deep already into this generation.. that is the biggest deciding factor on what a newb will buy. The console that, that newb can borrow/trade/play games against all his friends.

Think about it. The hardcore gamers have already jumped in and bought one of the consoles or maybe both. Those still sitting on the fence this deep into this generation, have more than likely already played one of the newer consoles before.. and are more apt to get what someone else has already got. "Console comebacks" (like Tom Brady) just dont happen this late in a generation.. (god I cant wait for football to start!!!!)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine /forum/post/16955048

Yeah, but mainly because there was a status quo in the market, price wise. And people thought the 360 presented the best value, at the given price point. That's clearly going to change when the PS3 drops in price however.

You said they have to drop the price ASAP to keep sales moving. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't expect much until sales start to stagnate, which is probably unlikely this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine /forum/post/16955048

Totally different situation. The Wii came out of left field and offered a completely different play experience to the other consoles. As a result, it made inroads into the casual market that no other console has been able to do before, mainly as a result of the unique software being offered for it.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 by comparison, are highly comparable in terms of software availability and functionality. Games look roughly the same when played on both. However, one of them offers a Blu-Ray drive and Wireless networking, while the other does not. If online play with your friends is not a concern and they are priced the the same, consumers will pick the product with better functionality. That's all but guaranteed. I also guarantee that MS is fully aware of this and will price it accordingly. They've followed this strategy for the past few years and aren't likely to change now.

WTF, the Wii doesn't count? All 3 are videogame systems at the end of the day. People saw more "value" in waggle and some mushy 480p output than in what the others offer, so they put their dollars there. Especially since what I was replying to was your hardware value comment.

The 360 offers LIVE, integrated Netflix, extender functionality, and 1 vs 100 through the dashboard. Two of those you can not get anywhere else. Maybe some of those crazies will place a higher value on software than a blu-ray drive and wifi, which is easily found elsewhere.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife /forum/post/16955189

You said they have to drop the price ASAP to keep sales moving. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't expect much until sales start to stagnate, which is probably unlikely this year.

360 sales have been solid, but hardly stellar. And again, I expect the sales picture to change dramatically once the PS3 gets a pricedrop. at that stage, a 360 pricedrop is the only thing that will keep their sales in the lead.

Quote:

People saw more "value" in waggle and some mushy 480p output than in what the others offer, so they put their dollars there

Which "group" do those people represent though? The majority of them are casuals - Parents who wanted a fun console for their kids or mothers who wanted Wii Fit. Core gamers certainly represented a healthy portion of total Wii sales, but I'd wager they're far from the majority. My point being, they're not the folks who were going to buy a PS3 or 360 anyway. Hence they're largely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Quote:

The 360 offers LIVE, integrated Netflix, extender functionality, and 1 vs 100 through the dashboard. Two of those you can not get anywhere else. Maybe some of those crazies will place a higher value on software than a blu-ray drive and wifi, which is easily found elsewhere.

I assume you're talking about LIVE and 1 vs 100 (Netflix streaming can be achieved through any number of devices and both machines act as extenders). PSN offers similar functionality as Live (Not as good obviously), which really leaves just '1 vs 100'. And let's be honest here - no one is going to walk into a store and decide to buy a 360 based on that fact alone.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts