AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am finally up to speed with the fact YxY won't work with WinDVD 4 so now are there any solutions to scale 16:9 format material to 4:3 to output to a projector? Just playing with WinDVD 4 for now but it looks like a superior product in all other ways. Have to be able to scale the material though. :(

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ramick: Old prejudices die hard. Had a bad experience with Power DVD years ago and have been using WinDVD ever since. I guess it may be time for a change. My current Dell machine with tons of programs loaded doesn't like ZoomPlayer either however I will be building a new HTPC if I ever get my case (DIGN powerbuy):confused: I had just mastered YxY for use with a DILA and a Panamorph lense. Now it's back to the drawing board. Thanks for the replies.

Mark

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Vern:

___Is there any need for blanking controls inside of your copy of TheaterTek? It is blanking controlled natively as installed.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Gerdes:

I assume you mean that TT when scaled to 4:3 blanks after you scale the image to the screen resolution???

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Twinmax:

___TheaterTek was created with Blanking built into the player natively without any adjustment needed. It is always full screen and blanked at whatever AR you want inside of any and all custom or std. T&R solutions you may be using at the time. It was coded this way to remove any redundant controls and move to a full screen only application. Once you try TheaterTek, you won’t miss YXY in the least even though it was one of my most trusted apps from the time Jim Ferguson created it for us HTPC’ers in the first place.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm not sure what missing feature Vern is referring to, but TheaterTek has automatic blanking built in, and also a manual override which can adjust the automatic settings +/- a few pixels.

Regards,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes Theatertek COULD be an alternative...

As Twinmax, I have problems using PowerDVD and graph building in Zoom Player is not better...

ATI DVD Player cannot use my Fortissimo S-PDIF output...

And WinDVD4 doesn't retain the screen settings even with WinDVD tweaker...

But Theatertek costs $70 and there is no trial version !!!

I won't risk this amount of money in an additional non-working solution.

Same for Sonic (formerly Ravisent) CinaMaster...

So no solution ????

Philip.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Psion:

___You have many individuals here in the forums using TheaterTek with great success. I cannot speak for a trial as one is not available but when you purchased your HiDef display, did you have it installed in your own Home Theater or did you see it at your AV shop of choice? Same for the Audio gear … You may have read a review or two, went to the local AV store and listened to that particular gear in an open showroom with any number of other distractions and purchased said gear without the ability to do a full trial. Of course HiFi and display gear cost a bit more than $70.00 ;) Maybe you did demo all of your gear in your home but for most of us, it was not only practical, it was not available. The same can be said for any number of HW items … Did you get to test out your Radeon, Motherboard, SDRAM/DDRAM/RDRAM, SC, Case before you purchased it? Here in the states, the mini-van known as the Honda Odyssey is so hot that the local dealers (4 that I have tried so far) will not even let me test drive the darn thing before I lay down $27,000.00 USD and there are lists with as little as 35 and as many as 125 people on that did pre-order without a test drive and are waiting!

___I wish I could be more helpful and had a better solution for you but even MS doesn’t have a trial of Windows yet sells more copies by word of mouth and review than any and all others as well. Not including those that are forced to purchase with the purchase of a PC but that is for another discussion. In either case, I believe the $70.00 is not only warranted but almost a necessity for anyone using an HTPC to its limits today. I almost forgot that there is a type of 7-day trial after purchase depending on who you purchase from before final registration which may suffice but again, once you use it, you will see what an HTPC SW app should look like. And once again, this is just my humble opinion for the best audio/visual display without setup hassles out of the box.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Quote:
___Is there any need for blanking controls inside of your copy of TheaterTek? It is blanking controlled natively as installed.
Absolutely! I have some 2.20:1 and 2.0:1 DVD's that require up to 30 pixels of additional side blanking to get a clean edge free of garbage.

That, and the required use of down-level video drivers and older Cinemaster filters are why my TheaterTek player remains unused.

So, since YXY has unlimited blanking control, it's apparent that TheaterTek does NOT have a full implementation of YXY in it!

Vern Dias

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Vern:

___Again, the TheaterTek player is fully blanked upon install. What is screwed up with your particular custom T&R’s and your display is something you may want to work on with Powerstrip. As far as the latest drivers are concerned, I guess you haven’t used it enough to figure out what it can and cannot do with your driver of choice.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Vern has a point though. Another reason for separately-controlled blanking with settings stored on a per-DVD basis is that you might want to correct some problem in the original source. Vern mentions the ragged edges. You also might want to take an "open matte" 4:3 DVD and simulate the proper masking by bringing the top and bottom matting way up on just that particular DVD until only the proper 1.85:1 portion is showing.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
There's also the point with some DVDs (PAL mainly) containing black bars on the left/right sides of the video to eliminate overscan video croppning on TV sets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Didn't know about this problem on PAL material...

The problem occurs even with my DV material (PAL also) : when I play it with WinDVD, I get thin black bars at the left and right of the picture (but they are big when using my projector !)

But the problem DOSEN'T OCCUR with PowerDVD. So what ?

If only PowerDVD could read my DVDs !!!!!!!!

Maybe because of my video board...I will change it soon for a Radeon (if I have the money ;-)

Philip.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Quote:
What is screwed up with your particular custom T&R’s and your display is something you may want to work on with Powerstrip
Xcel:

There is nothing "screwed up" with my system. Either YXY or Zoom Player handle my needs perfectly. There is nothing that I have to work on. However, there certainly is something that the TheaterTek people need to work on. It is Theater Tek that does not have all the capabilities some of us require.

Jim Ferguson hit the nail on the head with his validation of my comments.

What I don't understand is why the creators of TT don't just address these issues that have been brought up many times, instead of denying that they exist.

As a matter of fact, I made the suggestion to include YXY style blanking during the beta and was informed by the developers that it was not required.

I'm not sure how the developers understand exactly what is required, but we end users that have to deal with the product's shortcomings obviously don't.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Karnis:

What started this whole thing was a statement way back in the beginning that indicated that YXY was built in to TT player. I was making the point that not ALL of YXY functions are implemented.

Instead of a straightforward confirmation or denial, all that you and several other posters have contributed are workarounds that are not functional at the same level as YXY or ZP.

I don't have a problem that needs to be solved. I am extremely happy with ZP with TT relegated to my CD SW binder.

I don't believe we are accomplishing anything here, so let the thread RIP.

Vern

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Vern:

Quote:
I have some 2.20:1 and 2.0:1 DVD's that require up to 30 pixels of additional side blanking to get a clean edge free of garbage
___This sounds like a problem that Powerstrip may be able to fix? A slight amount of Overscan is the way I run my display for any and all rough edges … but I can see where you may or may not have a problem given your description. One you adjust your display using PowerStrip to remove whatever issue described above that you are having, you should not have to adjust TheaterTek or ZP to remove a ragged edge ever again.
Quote:
That, and the required use of down-level video drivers
___As far as drivers used, you have many more options here than you think as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.