Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first......

Thank you to everyone for all the information. I have read and read so much I am ready to burst. I have been pretty quiet with the posts since I had no idea what I was doing so never thought my knowledge would be of any use. I hopefully have taken that next step and will try to help others during their quest.

I am finishing the complete basement, but will discuss the important parts.

Theater Dimension - 20 ft. in length by 14 ft. in width

Lobby Dimension - 12 ft. in length by 10 ft. in width

Phase 1:

So far I have built the walls and put in the electric. Big project that has now taken 6 months. The lobby will have cabinets/counter and a fridge along the back wall. The theater will have about a 7" high stage and sitting platform, built in equipment cabinet (access from the back) and a built in DVD cabinet.

http://photos.yahoo.com/mukaman

Phase2:

I am going to do the HVAC this weekend and then put insulation in the walls (R11) and ceiling (R25). I will post pictures when finished.

Note: My HVAC will consist of a single heat vent located in the ceiling of the lobby and theater (front) with a single return located in the soffit of the theater (back). I am going to come off existing trunks and use 6" flexible. I did not want to spend the money on a separate system like it seems most try to do. I was also told by many (non-AVS forum readers) there is no need to put a return in the basement. I decided to put one in because you (the forum) told me to. Flow in the theater room is required for cooling purpose thus why the return is in the soffit and not along the floor.

Thanks again and I will keep all posted after Phase 2 and the finishing touches happen.

Update 2/11/04

I finally finished Phase 2. Of course I ran into problems, the winter blues gave my household a touch of the flue. Well I recovered and was able to finish. As mentioned before I installed a single return in the theater room (looking at the back of the theater room it is under the soffit on the right before the window) and 2 heat vents (1 in the lobby and the other in the front of the theater room). I did not spend nearly the time and effort as others in regards to the complexity of the system. I hope it ends up fine. I do notice that when the heat kicks on it does not get hot in the room. I guess that was the point, basically I wanted to cycle air through the room keeping it cool. Check out my updated photos.

I am ready to now start hanging the drywall. I will be bringing in an expert when it comes to mudding/tapping. I got a quote for $1200 to do the entire basement (approx. 900 sq. ft.) This will be money well spent. I will post more pictures once they have completed the work.

I am also getting to a point of frustration in regards to the riser and chairs. I have been posting around and have decided to change the riser to 10" and have no idea what Berklines I will be buying. The 099 are to big, the 090/094 have terrible leg support when not fully reclined, 088 have the same problem and are to small. My solution might be the 090 with the power recline but I will need to add an outlet in the riser. It never ends.

Update 3/31/04

Phase 3:

Well I finally finished hanging the drywall a week ago and the mudding/tapping has just started. He will be finished on Saturday so I will post some additional pictures, but have added photos of the drywall hung.

To all building in a basement, make sure you get a de-humidifier. It was always damp down there but man did it get worse after all the drywall was hung. I bought a 65 pint model which has a capacity of 22 pint or something like that and ran it overnight and the bucket was full of water. I'm sure it will help or is basically mandatory in the drying process of the mud, unless to want to wait days between each step for it to dry.

Other things are finally coming together. My cabinets were ordered and should be here in 4 weeks. Custom cabinets without the custom cost. I decided on the Berklines 090 and my order should ship on April 14th. Thanks to John (skyman) I have 4 nice plaques (Dolby, DTS, THX, Theater Name) that I will post pictures of once hung. Through ebay I purchased other decor for the room.

Phase 4:

The old man is coming over on Sunday/Monday to help me prime and paint the entire basement. For the theater/bar room I went with a dark more brownish (raw umber) red. I will actually post pictures of the completed tapping and painting at the same time later next week.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mukaman - Did you leave about a 1'' gap between your wall studs and the basement concrete walls and then run you electric conduit in that gap between the studs and the concrete wall?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jellyman - I'll tell you a good part of this project was working on soffits. My theatre room required a soffit on the side and the front. To make things look uniform I built soffits for the back and other side. It actually came out looking nice since the ceiling now has that recessed look. It also came in handy since all my speaker wire (7 speakers) is feed in the soffit. My only words of wisdom is if you buy the 2x2 from Home Depot you better put them up quick. The darn things sat for 1 week and warped like you would not believe. I returned them and did the job immediately. Your soffits need to be straight. Good luck.

Snakehunter - You better believe it. There were a few areas that caused me to do this (gas line, uneven floor), but for the most part I thought it would make running conduit easier. Unlike many on this forum, you and I need to deal with Chicago code, rigid conduit. It was the best decision I made!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Quote:
My only words of wisdom is if you buy the 2x2 from Home Depot you better put them up quick. The darn things sat for 1 week and warped like you would not believe. I returned them and did the job immediately. Your soffits need to be straight.
Reason #57 to use metal studs instead of wood! :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
Looks good so far. I'm on the same 6 month plan for walls and electric.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.