AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Fairfield(Essex Co.) & just got my DST 3000. I bought the RS Double BowTie after reading posts on the forum,but I am having limited success.I can only receive CBS in HD.

My question is does anyone around from No. NJ after any tips, recomendations. I d like to use an indoor antenna if possible.

If I have to go the outdoor route, does anyone know a good antenna installer in the area or where I could find one.

Thanx in Advance

Pete

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Mune,

I live not to far from you in Pompton Lakes. I have the same issue. I have a Silver Sensor and can only get CBS, even with a UHF amp. I have a Channel Master 4248 in the basement waiting for a warmer day to install. I too have a DST3000. I have more or less given up on indoor ant. If gets a little warmer today I may do the 4248.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
I live in Totowa. I'm getting my OTA antenna installed today on the roof. Around $300.00 installed. It is the same Antenna used in the electronic store, and it works great in Wayne, so its got to be even better in Totowa. I have a clear view of NYC.

I'll post the results of the reception tonight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cm,

If you could also let me know what antenna you are using, & if you would recomend your installer?

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
I have HDTV! I can't believe after spending several thousand $$, Directv gives us only 1 channel in HD!!??. I had the Winegard 4400 installed to my Mitsubishi 400 HD STB today. I get all the locals, 2,4,5,7,9,11,13.

It looks like as of 7:00 PM, the only OTA digital channels broadcasting are channel 5 and 2. Because they are identified by a -1 next to the channel number. I also found out that the HD channel is a separate channel from the analog channel, (identified by the -1). I think @ prime time more networks broadcast in HD. Despite my antenna pointing directly through trees, my OTA analog channels are crystal clear on 4 & 2. The others I can live with. If anyone needs a good installer in this area, let me know, he usually will install with a day or 2 notice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cm,

Congratulations, Its a wonderful feeling knowing your investment paid off.

I was a little anxious about pumping more money into my HT , but once that HD signals comes in , you feel at ease.

Thanks for the info on the antenna & installer.When you get a chance could you e mail or post your installers name & #.

My email is [email protected]

Thanx again

·
Registered
291 Posts
Same here . Can you post the nsame or email me with the name and number. Also did you buy the ant from him. I have called a few places and unless they sold it to you they do not want to do the install.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by kcarlasc (edited 02-25-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
This guy did a good job installing my OTA and my new dish.

He lives in Paterson. Keith: 973-523-5526

JOE

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Bob,

Got mine @ Onecall.com. Last time Iwas on their site they said they where in stock. I got mine for 890 and free next day.

Keith

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well Keith came and installed the ant. Nice guy pretty good work. Anyway signal is not much better. Actually CBS is worse. The other channels are a little better but still not watchable. Are any of you guys using Amps in your installs? I am, I'm going to try with out it.

Any other thoughts. I am considering a GS-2000 or an OMNI. What do you guys think?

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
I cant believe you don't get better reception. Did you ask Keith what the problem was? I assume that you get the HDTV on 2 and 5? That should be crystal clear for you. I have spoken to a few guys that sell antennas and they said that trees should not matter that much. My analog channels are not the best, especially when compared to DSS or HDTV OTA channels 2 and 5. But I can watch them if I wanted to, but then again why would I want to because I get the local package from Direct. At least he came quickly to install it. Did he run new RG6 cable as well? He did a neat job at my house, I really cant complain about his work. I can complain about my Mitsubishi HD400 set top box, it didn't come with a manual, and I cant figure out the aspect ratios yet. Specifically, OTA HDTV is centered in a small 4:3 box in my 4:3 TV, with black bars at the sides and the top. Confuses the hell out of me. Do you have DSS as well as the antenna on the roof. Where are you located in Wayne?

JOE

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Cmcjo,

Keith did a good job. Only installer I have had that has gotten a DSS signal off my roof He did come fast. I was not home during his time here and wife was not sure what to look for.

CBS is still good. Fox is a little better still not enough to watch. I at least now ge the other chanels in the AGP, can't watch but its a step in the right direction. Are you using an AMP.. I wonder if I am over-driving the signal with the amp, I am going to bypas it this weekend and try it.

If the Mitts is like to Tosh. There should be Action button on the menu. Hit that and then the number 8(This is what is on the Tosh)

Or if you go to the video menu you can set it from there.

I am actualy in Pompton Lakes. I have both the OTA and the dish on the roof.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrLefty:

"but I dont thing I can blame this on the antenna. My Signal Strength is as follows:

2-1 : 100

4-1 : 25

5-1 : 93

7-1 : 0

11-1 : 55[/b]
You are getting digital channels on 4 and 11 ?????? .

I am alot closer to the towers than you with my Winegard, and I cant get them at all.

JOE

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Do any of you guys find that regular ota reception is a good indicator of your ability to receive this HD stuff and its signal strength? Verona is in a valley, and antenna reception is pretty bad.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the CM4248, placed on my deck I was able to get CBS, NBC, FOX WPIX. UPN is scheduled to start broadcasting today!

I went into Radio Shack to schedule an install. $200 not bad, with a preamp & rotor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
MrLefty:

2 & 5 (CBS & Fox) broadcast from the ESB

4, 5, 9, & 11 broadcast from the WTC.

joe

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jfrano:
I have the CM4248, placed on my deck I was able to get CBS, NBC, FOX WPIX. UPN is scheduled to start broadcasting today!
So your getting cbs, nbc, fox, and WPIX in digital or analog?

Because I only get CBS & FOX in digital @ 100.

JOE

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi All,

Got my problem solved. The installer put the balum on the wrong side of the ant. Once I moved it things came in much better. CBS and FOx @ 100. NBC around 40, WB around 50. I will check UPN tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Well, your not too far. But it depends on where exactly your located, from what I understand. My antenna points directly through trees, and I get 100 on every digital station, 2,4,5,7,11 and others.

There is an antenna website that will locate your exact house coordinates and suggest the best antenna for your use, But I cant remember the name. I'll try to find it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.