AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always try and do my homework when buying new equipment.. I went with the Panasonic DMR-EH50S which should arrive later this week or early next, now I am trying to be as prepared as possible for setup and use. I can't seem to find a online owners/operating manual for the DMR-EH50S, Panasonic does not have this particular manual available at their site and a google search has not turned up a thing. Anyone know where I can find one online? Trying to figure the best setup for my system below:

Samsung DLP

Adelphia cable with a Scientfic Atlanta 3250HD box

Nad A/V Reciever,

As of now I have coax to box, DVI from box to TV, DVD player to TV via Component connections.. I do not what to run video through NAD reciever at all but have audio connected from box and dvd for when we do want surround sound. My thinking was coax to DVD recorder then out to box. Only thing is I will not be able to record channels 100-799 this way, correct? Adelphia has all the HBO, Starz, Max from 200-280 and the Ondemand from 900-916 and HD 700-716.

Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated,,,

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger
I always try and do my homework when buying new equipment.. I went with the Panasonic DMR-EH50S which should arrive later this week or early next, now I am trying to be as prepared as possible for setup and use. I can't seem to find a online owners/operating manual for the DMR-EH50S, Panasonic does not have this particular manual available at their site and a google search has not turned up a thing. Anyone know where I can find one online? Trying to figure the best setup for my system below:
Follow this link: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMREH50.PDF

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
So far so good. To record those Cable-Box-only channels (assuming they're not copy-protected), you'll want an anlog A/V output of the Cable Box to go to a Line In of the DVD Recorder. Then you just have to get the A/V output of the DVD Recorder to your TV/receiver. Hopefully you have another Component Video input on the DLP. You may not care about surround sound from the DVD Recorder, if that's the case just send the analog stereo along with the Component Video to the DLP. Otherwise the Optical Digital Audio output of the DVD Recorder (assuming there is one) can go to the NAD. The last issue would be watching something on regular channels while recording from Cable-Box-only channels, for that another cable feed could go to the DLP and use its tuner.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You rgazzara for the manual address..

bobkart, I forgot to mention I have an Svideo line running from cable box to DLP for watching everything except the HD which uses the DVI connection.. Damn I thought the tuner in the DMR-EH50S would be digital and would be able to do all the channels up to and including CH 916.. If that is not the case that surely throws a wrench into the works...

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Yeah that wrench turns up quite a bit. No DVD Recorders that I'm aware of can tune the digital channels. You have to hope you have enough outputs from the Cable Box to feed both the DVD Recorder and the DLP. You can't watch SD content from the Cable Box through the DVI? If you can, the S-Video could then go to the DVD Recorder.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Thank You rgazzara for the manual address..

bobkart, I forgot to mention I have an Svideo line running from cable box to DLP for watching everything except the HD which uses the DVI connection.. Damn I thought the tuner in the DMR-EH50S would be digital and would be able to do all the channels up to and including CH 916.. If that is not the case that surely throws a wrench into the works...
I haven't tried the Guide, but most say it does have problems with Digital Cable. I use the IN 1 input and manually set the timer to record those channels.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart
Yeah that wrench turns up quite a bit. No DVD Recorders that I'm aware of can tune the digital channels. You have to hope you have enough outputs from the Cable Box to feed both the DVD Recorder and the DLP. You can't watch SD content from the Cable Box through the DVI? If you can, the S-Video could then go to the DVD Recorder.
I can watch SD through DVI but the DLP will not allow screen size aspects other then the default "wide", when watching SD through the DVI the pic will not fill the screen correctly and the DLP will not allow aspect size changes though the DVI connection. I have the Svideo connected to TV for that reason, there are component connections also available through the box which are not being used along with the coax out connection. Only thing is no matter what I cannot record one channel while watching another if recording on channels 100 and up if I am getting this correct? :(

Guess I could go Component out to DVD from cable box but there are only one set of digital audio outs on the cable box which I ready have spit with rca Ys to send one signal to tv and other to the NAD A/V Receiver, unless I use another set of Ys connected to the original Ys to allow for splitting into 3 outputs.. Damn this is not getting any prettier LOL..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
I can watch SD through DVI but the DLP will not allow screen size aspects other then the default "wide", when watching SD through the DVI the pic will not fill the screen correctly and the DLP will not allow aspect size changes though the DVI connection. I have the Svideo connected to TV for that reason, there are component connections also available through the box which are not being used along with the coax out connection. Only thing is no matter what I cannot record one channel while watching another if recording on channels 100 and up if I am getting this correct? :(

Guess I could go Component out to DVD from cable box but there are only one set of digital audio outs on the cable box which I ready have spit with rca Ys to send one signal to tv and other to the NAD A/V Receiver, unless I use another set of Ys connected to the original Ys to allow for splitting into 3 outputs.. Damn this is not getting any prettier LOL..
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you with my EH50S. I can't figure out a way to record digital channel while watching another, since the tuner on the EH50S only goes to 125. Like you said, all the HBO, Cinemax... are on channel 500+. In order to record those channels, I have to use the cable box. As long as the cable box is tuned to the channel being recorded, there's no way to watch another channel while it's recording. :(

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkccom
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you with my EH50S. I can't figure out a way to record digital channel while watching another, since the tuner on the EH50S only goes to 125. Like you said, all the HBO, Cinemax... are on channel 500+. In order to record those channels, I have to use the cable box. As long as the cable box is tuned to the channel being recorded, there's no way to watch another channel while it's recording. :(
The EH-50 only goes to channel 125 because that's the limit of analog channels. Anything over 125 is going to be digital, and even if the EH-50 went to channel 500, it only has an analog tuner and wouldn't be able to receive the digital channel. If you want to record AND watch digital channels, you need 2 cable boxes.

This is the same problem everyone had with cable boxes and VCRs...nothing new here.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does this setup sound:

Split Coax with a triple splitter, send one to Digital box, one to DVD and other to TV.. Then the DVI from box to TV for HDTV, SVideo from Box to TV for all other channels, Component from Box to DVD for Digital recording and the coax for the analog. Only glitch I can see is I have to split the audio line from the box three ways also, one for TV one for DVD and one for the A/V receiver... I think this setup although it sound like one pain in the ass to setup covers all situations.. Yes? Also is there any screen aspect size problems I might run into with the component out from box to DVD, the DLP I know is kinda particular about available aspects concerning DVI, Component 1 and Component 2 (I remember in setting up my system the first time there was a glitch between connecting TV to box using Comp 1 and 2, can't remember exactly what it was but I had to switch them until I got the DVI line.... I hope I'm not being a pain here :(

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
That sounds like it would work, assuming you have Component In on the DVD Recorder.

For the audio, you may want to consider a distribution amplifier. For just Stereo Audio they should be realtively inexpensive. Otherwise I think you are bringing the audio level down each time you split it? If I'm wrong about that then just Y-splitters would suffice.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bobkart you went and through another wrench into the works lol.. Glad you mentioned the component in on the DVD Recorder, just checked the manual I got online and there isn't one :( .. Back to the drawing board... damn!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Well how about S-video to the DVD-Recorder and Component to the DLP? Or does that cause the aspect ratio problems?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart
Well how about S-video to the DVD-Recorder and Component to the DLP? Or does that cause the aspect ratio problems?
I'm almost sure it does, I remember when I first hooked up the HD box via component I thought I could use that exclusivly for all viewing but had to go back to connecting the SVideo, sure wish the cable box had 2 SVideo outs,, I know that would make no sense to Scientific Atlanta.. Looks like my only solution is to split the Coax coming in and send one to the TV directly and the other to the Box then the coax out in the box to the DVD, at least I could watch SD if recording using the Box and also eliminates the need for more audio lines..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.