AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get optical (or coaxial) spdif out of my Motorola DCT6200 into my Key Digital switcher/scaler, with no luck. I'm mostly doing this so that I can send the stereo outs to my dvd recorder & still monitor directly off the cable.

Unfortunately, my receiver only has aux inputs, so I can't bypass the switcher to see if that's the problem. Has anyone else had Moto audio issues? Is the 6200 limited to 1 audio out at a time or anything like that? Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
145 Posts
David, you didn't mention the model number of the Key Digital unit, so can't look up specs.

Any chance that the optical input is PCM and it decodes to baseband audio out? If so, the DCT 6200 only output AC-3 audio. It won't work.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallego /forum/post/0

David, you didn't mention the model number of the Key Digital unit, so can't look up specs.

Any chance that the optical input is PCM and it decodes to baseband audio out? If so, the DCT 6200 only output AC-3 audio. It won't work.

Not necessarily so. I have a 6216 which will output both PCM and AC-3 through the optical output port.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Technically you are correct. However, I tried to answer the question asked by the OP.

If you are tuned to an analog channel, the DCT 6200 will out put a Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) signal. But, if you are on a cable system that does All Digital Simulcast (ADS), then the set top will only tune digital channels, which are encoded to ATSC MPEG specifications. Yes, it's modulation is QAM, not 8VSB. So, by definition the set top will only output AC-3.

Mallego

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using the Moto DT6200 series STB (HiDef, no DVR), and the Key Digital is an iISync Pro/HD.

The KD has 2 optical inputs, and 4 stereo inputs where the L ch doubles as coax. Cycled through all the inputs & none works off the STB, just the analog stereo.

I can get optical audio fine off my Polaroid DVDR.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Motorola 3416 (digital only version of the 6416)... using Optical out to my receiver.... (HDMI to the projector for the video).

The receiver indicates it is receiving a Dolby signal, but I only receive content over the center channel. It's as if the Motorola 3416 isn't allowing the dolby signals through???

As thebard I can get optical audio fine of my DVD...

Thanks,

Sharon

·
Registered
145 Posts
David, I waded through the Quick Reference manual, interesting unit! Rereading your post I'm lost as to exactly you are doing. Where is your AC-3 decoder located? In your receiver? The iSync doesn't seem to have one. If in the receiver, have you plugged the SPDIF/Toslink cable from the DCT directly into the receiver? The optical digital output is one function of the Motorola boxes that have been pretty reliable. Remember that the optical output is a digital bit stream that needs to be processed by a Dolby Dgital decoder.

Mallego

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sharon, the optical out put is the full digital bit stream carrying all the audio channels that the programmer encoded at their end. If you are getting anything, then it has to be working. I assume that you are using a different optical input on your receiver than the DVD? If so recheck the setings in the receiver.

What is the receiver make and model? I'd like to see if there is a manual on line.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:

I assume that you are using a different optical input on your receiver than the DVD? If so recheck the setings in the receiver.

Yes, I do have three optical inputs on the receiver--I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't done controlled for that yet...I'll go make sure the isssue isn't a cable or the particular optical port I'm choosing...

(The receiver uses the same settings for all three optical inputs--except the setting for which AV unit it is to be assigned to. It "remembers" specific choices made for that assignment, but I've mucked w/those...so that's not it...)

Quote:

What is the receiver make and model? I'd like to see if there is a manual on line.

It's a Denon 1803. Here's a link to the manual:
Denon1803userManual

--Sharon

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:

David, I waded through the Quick Reference manual, interesting unit! Rereading your post I'm lost as to exactly you are doing. Where is your AC-3 decoder located? In your receiver? The iSync doesn't seem to have one. If in the receiver, have you plugged the SPDIF/Toslink cable from the DCT directly into the receiver? The optical digital output is one function of the Motorola boxes that have been pretty reliable. Remember that the optical output is a digital bit stream that needs to be processed by a Dolby Dgital decoder.

Mallego

Doh!

Yep, that was it... when I switch the cable box off the hidef channels, the stereo comes through fine. I just assumed that since the ISync TRANSCODED, it would DECODE along the way...

I never noticed with the optical out of the DVD recorder since I never use it for commercial DVDs, just stuff I've recorded (stereo only).

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.