AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One really stupid question.. just got a Pio 633H DVD recorder and trying to hook it up to my ancient TV. The TV has only VHF/UHF antenna input (yes I know). Anyways, I don't see any picture from the DVR when I switch to CH2 or any other channel. Do I have to use video outputs from DVR and just using the VHF/UHF output won't fly? Google could not find any answers, so here you go. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Pioneer
Sounds like you need a RF modulator. Saw one on Radio Shack web site and I am pretty sure I have seen them at WalMart.
yes, you are right, I just can't believe that I can't use my VCR instead.. like I did with the DVD player... :mad:

I think it's time for a new TV

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct INPUT selected on the DVR? Toggle thu RF, L1, etc using the input select button. The RF out should work to your TV. Can you play a DVD?

Andy...

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Eman,

You should be able to use the composite video (yellow jack) out and L+R audio (red & white jacks) out and plug them into your VCR line in jacks. Then make sure that the VCR is set to watch "line in" and it will (most likely) convert the signal to RF out. All of my VCRs have worked this way, and I have used them to function as an RF modulator for my DVD player.

I have the Pioneer 520H, and it also states in the manual that the RF out jack is only pass through of the incoming antenna or cable signal. It definitely does NOT send line inputs or HD or DVD viewing to the RF out jack.

There is one limitation when trying to play commercial DVDs--the copy protection from the DVD player may block viewing in/through the VCR. But non-commercial DVDs (e.g., home-recorded TV shows or home videos) should play fine.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu
One really stupid question.. just got a Pio 633H DVD recorder and trying to hook it up to my ancient TV. The TV has only VHF/UHF antenna input (yes I know). Anyways, I don't see any picture from the DVR when I switch to CH2 or any other channel. Do I have to use video outputs from DVR and just using the VHF/UHF output won't fly? Google could not find any answers, so here you go. :)
You are not utilizing and taking advantage of the full capabilities of a DVD recorder by hooking it up to a TV that does not have at least composite and/or S video connections. Its like trying to cook a 4 course gourmet meal in an easy bake oven. Spring for a new tube for pete's sake.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT
Eman,

You should be able to use the composite video (yellow jack) out and L+R audio (red & white jacks) out and plug them into your VCR line in jacks. Then make sure that the VCR is set to watch "line in" and it will (most likely) convert the signal to RF out. All of my VCRs have worked this way, and I have used them to function as an RF modulator for my DVD player.

I have the Pioneer 520H, and it also states in the manual that the RF out jack is only pass through of the incoming antenna or cable signal. It definitely does NOT send line inputs or HD or DVD viewing to the RF out jack.

There is one limitation when trying to play commercial DVDs--the copy protection from the DVD player may block viewing in/through the VCR. But non-commercial DVDs (e.g., home-recorded TV shows or home videos) should play fine.
You are absolutely right, I forgot to switch the VCR to the line input................... My only excuse is that the manual explicitly says: "Do not connect this recorder to your TV via a VCR..." (page 15), so I kind of thought I was doing the wrong thing and it wouldn't work anyway..

But then again, after this stupid warning the manual actually tells you how to dub from the DVR to a VCR by doing just that (page 20)! There's no TV connected to the VCR on that picture in the manual though!

It's as if they are so scared of being sued for copyright infringment by big companies that they put false or incomplete info in their manuals.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk
You are not utilizing and taking advantage of the full capabilities of a DVD recorder by hooking it up to a TV that does not have at least composite and/or S video connections. Its like trying to cook a 4 course gourmet meal in an easy bake oven. Spring for a new tube for pete's sake.
I don't have 25 grand for a decent TV at the moment and I don't want to spend 500 bucks on an obsolete one. And plus I only need the recorder to make home movies for my relatives. And on top of that, if a movie loses it's appeal just because of a somewhat lower video quality, I probably wouldn't want to watch it anyway.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:
I don't have 25 grand for a decent TV at the moment and I don't want to spend 500 bucks on an obsolete one. And plus I only need the recorder to make home movies for my relatives. And on top of that, if a movie loses it's appeal just because of a somewhat lower video quality, I probably wouldn't want to watch it anyway.
25 grand? What the heck are you looking at, a plasma TV that's 10 feet across (diagonally)?

You can get a very good High Definition CRT TV for about $1,000-1500. Even a plasma shouldn't cost you more than $5,000 unless it's outrageously sized.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg
25 grand? What the heck are you looking at, a plasma TV that's 10 feet across (diagonally)?

You can get a very good High Definition CRT TV for about $1,000-1500. Even a plasma shouldn't cost you more than $5,000 unless it's outrageously sized.
2.5 grand that is

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
I guess my point is that its unusual for someone to buy a pretty high end DVD recorder like the 633H, with a hard drive and everything, but not have a comparable quality television to play it through. You could have started out with a non hard drive Pio 220 for about 160 at Walmart, and there is $350-400 savings right there you could have put toward getting a newer TV.

Its kind of like the mismatch in electronics you see in people's houses. Some salesman talks someone into getting a pretty high end AV reciever or stereo components but they have them hooked up to $100 speakers from Worst Buy or the like, thus defeating any advantage in having the higher end electronics.

Also, if you are just going to be transferring home movies, man the Pio 633 might be overkill

with its TV Guide system etc. But glad to see you found a way to get it working. Of course your picture from the recorder is now subject to the limitations of the VCR, so if you don't have a high quality VCR with S video connections etc, your picture and sound are being further degraded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.