AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just got my XPA-7. I was using their chat tool on their site to ask about some other questions and I asked if they recommend using a power conditioner. the person who I was talking to did not recommend using one of those. But I know most people do. So why do they recommend not using one?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I believe the prevailing wisdom is power conditioners can limit current to the amps under high loads, possibly limiting their power output and/or headroom. Now there are other, more esoteric theoretical drawbacks such as reducing Soundstage and other more subjective aspects of sound reproduction to possibly consider. Or I could be totally wrong...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if that's the case, why do so many people use these?

Reactions: Ryan Howard

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about brands like Panamax or Furman?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
houses are wired with non-shielded electrical wiring such as romex. Doesn't all kinds of noise get into them and then we power our receivers and amplifiers with that power? I would think a power conditioner would have some effect on that to improve it.

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
This is a subject of debate. Some folks like to use a conditioner, others don't. You will receive both points of view here. So, given that there will be no consensus, it might make sense to just try it yourself. Listen to the amp without a conditioner, then after a few weeks, swap one into the mix. Listen for another few weeks, then swap it out again. If you hear any difference, one way or the other, then you know the conditioner is having an effect. You'll have to deduce if that effect is positive or negative, and then decide to keep or return the conditioner.

One other aspect is which conditioner to try. They have different approaches. It's been a while since I have done any investigation of the matter, but if I remember correctly, PS Audio was the one that most isolated the equipment, as they went AC to DC then back to AC. Other brands may be doing the same thing by now ... so you'll have to do your homework.

·
Administrator
21,955 Posts
When my last power conditioner died, I ran my system for a week without one. There was no discernable difference to me other than worrying about power surges.

Another benefit is seeing your incoming voltage at a glance. My power conditioner once alerted me that it was too high & the power company came out & made a repair at the meter.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the XPA gen 3 series has built in surge protection.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I bought used Panamax's for my systems for cheap. Like $50 each cheap and they work well. Are they needed? I don't know. It might just be a glorified surge protector but that's ok as that's really what I'm using it for. I don't anticipate it makes the sound better, I'm using it for protection just in case. I think any solid surge protector would serve you fine. But you might be fine plugging right into the wall if it has built in surge protection. I think most people just feel like a $1000+ investment is not something they want to throw in the trash. So better provide a little extra layer of protection just in case.

One of mine tells my how many AMPS are being used and it doesn't get anywhere near maxing out 15A. It also has two high current ports which I use for my AMPS

I will say I never would have bought a Panamax at full price as I don't think it adds much in the form of performance

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I believe the prevailing wisdom is power conditioners can limit current to the amps under high loads, possibly limiting their power output and/or headroom. Now there are other, more esoteric theoretical drawbacks such as reducing Soundstage and other more subjective aspects of sound reproduction to possibly consider. Or I could be totally wrong...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Some people can hear a difference between different cheater cords (the power cord that goes from the amp to the wall plug). There are expensive cheater cords available for purchase, such as the massclusive Audioquest NRG-Z3.

I won't comment on their utility. I'd expect a power conditioner to give a larger effect.

I'm using a Furman PST-8 on the basis of a recommendation of another forum member. It's rated at 15A, and hasn't tripped yet, although it's plugged into a 20A circuit. The heaviest draw on it should be an XPA-3 Gen3.

There is at least one forum member who strongly counsels against any device that includes MOVs (Varistor). Claims that they are fire hazards. The Furman uses at least one MOV. I'm counting on its metal case to prevent a house fire.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is at least one forum member who strongly counsels against any device that includes MOVs (Varistor). Claims that they are fire hazards. The Furman uses at least one MOV. I'm counting on its metal case to prevent a house fire.
what are MOVs?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how do you know if a power conditioner uses one?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Using a MOV device on a soft start amp can burn out the limiting resistors. It can also toast a Switching power supply. The XPA-7 amp has a switch mode power supply and these supplies do not like voltage sags or spikes. And most of are designed to just barely have enough capacity to get the job done. I have repaired hundreds of these and I will just say All of my audio equipment has linear power supplies. Just think of Epson 5040 power supply issues. It was a consideration when bought a 6050ub from AVS it has a 3 year warranty plus I can fix it myself after that.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
A high quality surge power conditioner will not be a problem. They have fuses and other protection. The ones that one should be worried about are those with plastic housings and are usually very inexpensive. One might also consider getting a UL approved one. This one with a metal housing seems to get good reviews on Amazon.

Furman also makes many others that are more expensive and have other features.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Using a MOV device on a soft start amp can burn out the limiting resistors. It can also toast a Switching power supply. The XPA-7 amp has a switch mode power supply and these supplies do not like voltage sags or spikes. And most of are designed to just barely have enough capacity to get the job done. I have repaired hundreds of these and I will just say All of my audio equipment has linear power supplies. Just think of Epson 5040 power supply issues. It was a consideration when bought a 6050ub from AVS it has a 3 year warranty plus I can fix it myself after that.
thanks for the info. are you saying that the XPA gen 3 series isn't good cause of its switching power supply or that I shouldn't use anything with MOVs in them, or both?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.