AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting an antenna and a multiswitch in my attic, but I don't have any electrical outlets in my attic The multiswitch is a powered one whose power supply is plugged into an outlet and connects to the multiswitch via a coax cable. I can plug in the power supply in our bedroom and run a coax up the inside of the wall to the attic. However, I am thinking that after I have the antenna installed, I may need a pre-amp, which also requires power (I think).

How difficult is it to put in a power outlet in an attic? As far as I know, it currently hasn't any power other than the light fixtures on the ceilings for the rooms below.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Since you aren't familiar with the process, it's best to hire an electrician. Since you are probably only looking at putting in a light and 2 power supplies for electronics, a new box can probably be added from the closest available circuit. If the ceiling fixtures are switched, chances are they won't have full time power available and the new line will have to be run up a wall from a top floor outlet box. It should take under an hour but requires some knowledge and special tools.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The pre-amp are powered the same way as the multiswitch. Therefore, you could do it the same as the multiswitch as well!

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
I agree with Pat. Adding electrical service to an attic is no time to familiarize yourself with electricity. Aside from the possibility of rocking yourself pretty good with the right jolt, there are also fire code and other safety issues to consider when it comes to hooking up, placing fixtures and working with fuses. I'd locate a professional.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I have an electrician coming out to the house on Friday to wire a two-receptacle outlet and an attic light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.