AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PJ fired up just fine a few days ago while I was trying to figure out how on earth to perform a set up on it (never did). But the point is it powered up just fine.

Went down tonight and restretched my stewart AT screen over my DIY frame, fired up the PJ and [crickets chirping] NOTHING!!! No light, no standby, no crackling of electronics, zero, zip... NADA!!!

I tried multiple cords and known good outlets to no avail. What on earth should I be looking at?

If its not one thing its another.

Not sure it makes a difference but this is a Tim Martin modified power supply (fan mod).... I have not a clue so I do not know if this is relivant...

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
there are fuses inside but if one went then most likley the LVPS might be damaged.

if its the one inside the small cage where the cord plugs in you might get lucky with just replacing it, if its one of the others then something most likely is wrong. Curt can repair it or send you a new one.

Athanasios

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/18289717

there are fuses inside but if one went then most likley the LVPS might be damaged.

if its the one inside the small cage where the cord plugs in you might get lucky with just replacing it, if its one of the others then something most likely is wrong. Curt can repair it or send you a new one.

Athanasios

Lovely.... I will dig into that tomorrow I guess. I have so much money tied up in this PJ and have NEVER even seen it throw a picture. More money to be poured in I suppose. Is that a digital I hear calling in the back ground... Nah...

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
But first reseat all baords in the PJ including the LVPS. it might just be a dirty connection since it sat for some time, even though it did fire up once.

nashou

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/18289815

But first reseat all baords in the PJ including the LVPS. it might just be a dirty connection since it sat for some time, even though it did fire up once.

nashou

Will do. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Furthering the list of dumb questions. What boards are recommended to reseat? All of them under the cover or certain ones. I would rather monkey with this as little as possible and only mess with the things that stand a chance of being the "issue". IS simply reseating the LVPS a good idea? Is there a way to tell if it is the issue without swapping another in / out?

THIS BLOWS!!!!!

Thansk again for all the assistance. I wish someone was very local that coudl do some hand holding with this beast. Any one in the MD / WV area? I am in Martinsburg WV. Is Clarence still around? He is (was) not that far away from me.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Martin /forum/post/18291191

Thansk again for all the assistance. I wish someone was very local that coudl do some hand holding with this beast. Any one in the MD / WV area? I am in Martinsburg WV. Is Clarence still around? He is (was) not that far away from me.

if you can't even hear fan's running inside the LVPS and not even an Orange stand-by light on the back of machine then it's dead. Had this happen once and it turns out a plug had popped off inside the LVPS. the LVPS has an upper and lower section with a hinged lid. You have to pop the top open half-way to connect everything. One of those connections is very hard to push on and might not have been fully engaged?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hello

If no orange Ready light, then your lvps has a problem OR you have a shorted IR remote sensor or a shorted wired keypad. Remove the side covers on the control board side, get under the red tube and try unplugging the IR, then look for a ready light. If no luck, try unplugging the keypad. On some Marquees those wires were tie-wrapped against a sharp metal edge that eventually cuts into the wires.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are correct.. No lights, no fan, no service....

I have the IR remote and do not have the wired, the wire hangs in the case.

Is this is situation that I can take the LVPS apart and look inside or am I in a send it to Tim / Curt scenario? I am handy and willing to tackle it but need to know if this is a god idea or if this is one of those areas that an uneducated bozo (me) should not touch?

Thanks!!!!

PS If only it could be this quiet when on and working!!!! I love the fan mod Tim but wish is was even a bit quieter. ;-)

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hello

Send lvps here for quick inspection and turnaround.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Phoenix /forum/post/18292846

Hello

Send lvps here for quick inspection and turnaround.

Tim,

You have a PM. Please reply when time allows. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Ummmm, I live in Middleburg, which I think is about 30-40 minutes from Martinsburg. If you don't mind driving to Middleburg, I can lend you a spare LVPS you can use to see if your LVPS is the problem. My spare LVPS came from Clarence.

You could even see the blended pair of Marquee 9500LC Ultras in action if you wanted to. Not nearly as impressive as Athanasios' Rodan-O-Blend, but they've kept me warm all winter....................

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriSoft /forum/post/18298284

Well, you know those ANALOG projectors! Built to be disposable! LOLOLOLOL!!!!

I don't know that I have ever seen a residential garbage can / container large enough to accomodate this beast!!!!

If it was not for being broke and knowing the stunning picture it will throw (when issue is resolved), it would have been tempting to find one!

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I have LVPS and HVPS if you need to borrow one, though you may do better getting one from William since he's a lot closer.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Martin /forum/post/18289765

Lovely.... I will dig into that tomorrow I guess. I have so much money tied up in this PJ and have NEVER even seen it throw a picture. More money to be poured in I suppose. Is that a digital I hear calling in the back ground... Nah...

Martin

Sorry to hear you are having problems/issues with your marquee...Usually these marquees are more reliable than any CRTs that I have seen thus far!

Yeah check the fuses in the LVPS, there are two maybe three of them from what I remember...as a caution they are the funky vintage as far as voltages go!

So you will need to source then from a place that has them in stock.

Other than that you should have no more issues and they are awesome when it comes to picture quality....and setup is as easy as any CRT could be!

Let us know if you run into any other issues and we will try our best to take care of them for you!

... and Peri...why do you hang around in this section when you are obviously soooooo anti-CRT? (Just wondering!)

Also:

"May the "tubes" be with you always Martin!"

Good luck tracking down your issue, I am sure it is not anything to worry about!

Martin

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Thanks, and Thanks!!!!

Getting together with William this weekend and hope to have it settled / identified. I will be in Phx on business next week so if it is the LVPS I might actaully make an attempt to hand deliver it to Tim. Would love to meet the man!

Things are progressing just slower than hoped for.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well... William is the man. My brother in law and I took a road trip to VA to pick up the loaner LVPS and see the blend in action. Thoughts:

1) Willaim is a very very nice man for even considering parting with the LVPS to a stranger!!!

2) 12 feet of Bluray Gladiator is AWESOME!!!!!

3) My single 9500LC and 8' screen are now suffering from an inferiority complex and they are not even hung.

Anyway... The loaner power supply worked like a charm so I will have to make arrangements to get mine out to Tim for what I hope to be an inexpensive fix.

The power up also revealed a new issue the V Hold error light is now on... Why does my luck suck so? Any idea what I need to do about this?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Martin

Get your board to Tim in Arizona if a cleaning/reseating does not take care of it! (...or try and find someone locally to bring in some boards to swap and see which is the reason for this error of yours!)

Chances are that a re-seat will take care of it!

Did you try cleaning the contact on the neck boards and the ones between the tubes...while you are at it do them all!

Good luck and do not be discouraged by this trust me when I say that this will be worth the effort and PQ! (I am sure that Peri will agree with this one!!! hehe)

Martin

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Well, I am happy that I could contribute is some small way.

Remember that Confusius say: "A journey of a 1000 miles begins with a working LVPS".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts